Professor Layton and the Last Specter Coming to America

Posted by James Newton

Trademark application revealed

So far, Professor Layton and the Spectre's Flute has been Japan-only, but a recently-unearthed trademark application shows that the DS adventure will come to North America.

Level-5 registered the trademark Professor Layton and the Last Specter recently, spotted by Siliconera, which all-but confirms the fourth DS game is coming to the West later this year.

We'll bring you more news as it arrives.

[via siliconera.com]

Ark

Ark said:

Saw this coming, makes sense given the popularity. The real question is whether they'll have the patience to localize the 100 hour post-game RPG. It'll be a while until we get Mask of Miracles for 3DS, though.

BalrogtheMaster

BalrogtheMaster said:

If this doesn't have the RPG in it, I'm not buying it. As much as I love the series, I want to see Level 5's dedication to a dying console.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome, was afraid it wouldn't turn up given the 3DS is out. But alas I still have to beat the 3 previous games in the series before I allow myself to play this one, even though I wanna play "London life" - it sounds quite interesting.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry... For the past few months i thought that this wasn't going to be localised.
I'm sure any other Layton fans can understand my excitement

Arthedain

Arthedain said:

@7 You're aware that Eternal Diva is a movie, right? :) It's available in Europe.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

FINALLY! I expected to her an announcement at E3, but this just made my day. Hopefully we can get the Eternal Diva too.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Yes!!! Now I have go and buy 1 and 3 before this comes out. This will most likely be my last DS game.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This is awesome news! I look forward to its European release. I have 100% completed each Layton game before its European release (including DLC puzzles but obviously not including content that is unlocked through a code from an Layton game that isn't out yet) and because of the bonus rpg in this I may not get mask of miracle near its release which is probably next year since the bonus rpg is said to be 100+ hours.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Praise the heavens! I was expecting to see this come up very soon but its always nice to have confirmation. I'm gonna just think of it as a September release since that is when every other Layton came out. I LOVE the Layton franchise and can't wait to play this one! BTW, what's this about an RPG after the main game? I've never heard of this before....

revoc

revoc said:

Anyone think the mini-games in the 3rd Layton were extremely difficult? I still have yet to beat them.

G-MaxiMillion

G-MaxiMillion said:

Any news for Europe yet? Because, even if I'm not playing DS games for a while now, I'm a huge fan of Professor Layton. I do hope to see him on my 3DS soon.

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

Very happy about this!
I think the last Layton game was probably the best game I've played on the DS. The quality is really a notch WAY ABOVE just about everybody else. Great voice work and animations with a lengthy game make it all feel like one of the few AAA games on the DS.
I don't know why so many people are so quick to leave consoles once the new one is announced. I am hoping E3 will show us a lot of unexpected games for both Wii + DS.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Happy happy, joy joy. Happy happy, joy joy. Happy happy, joy joy joy.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I hope the London "Mini Game" is added to it, id hate to import it because its missing something

Henmii

Henmii said:

Oh, this is very good news since that means it also comes to Europe! I feared Nintendo would skip it for us and go straight for the fifth one (mask of miracle)!

I still have to finish the third one though. I have seen the whole story through the end, but there are still some unfinished puzzles laying around.

By the way: Is the added rpg really that long? Whatever the case, it should be included! No doubt about that!

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Glad that its gonna be released outside Japan, I like the Layton series. Now only if Capcom would just release The Miles Edgeworth 2 game.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Yes please! Bring over Ace Attorney Investigations 2, Professor Layton and the Mask of Mirror, and Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright while you're at it!

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@everyone who is asking about the RPG

The Japanese version had a "minigame" that was a 100 hour RPG (if I recall correctly, I believe it was post-story). It's gotten a lot of positive feedback from fans as being the most in depth minigame in the series, hence the anxiousness many have to try it.

As Professor Layton is one of my favorite handhelds series, I am psyched for this release. There isn't a better game to be my last DS game (doubt there's gonna be any more I want for the original DS after this). And I agree, they better localize the RPG or I'll be thoroughly disappointed.