Max & the Magic Marker Relaunching on Wii and DS

Posted by Trevor Chan

Hoping to draw more gamers in, surely?

Easy Interactive has announced its Q2 line-up of upcoming releases, one of which is a WiiWare title that's on its way to getting a retail release.

Max & the Magic Marker originally launched on the download service last year and will soon be available to purchase on-disc for the Wii as well as the DS when they launch next month. The game requires players to draw objects in real-time in order for the main character Max to utilise and gain access to areas that are otherwise out of reach. Read our Max & the Magic Marker review to see what we made of it.

Other Q2 DS releases include hidden object games Hollywood Files: Deadly Intrigues, and Mystery Tales 2: The Spirit Mask ― the follow up to last year's Mystery Tales: Time Travel, PC puzzle game Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena makes the jump from desktop to handheld, and Hollywood Files: Deadly Intrigues.

ATallOne

ATallOne said:

I am wondering the same thing as brandonbwii. If they don't change/add anything, then I don't see why this would be worth a retail purchase, seeing as it would be much more expensive.

taffy

taffy said:

Would it not have been better if they went the way of Cave Story and did a 3DS remake?

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This is a great game but I wasn't really a fan of the pointer controls on the Wii. It just felt too inaccurate for me. This game will really benefit from stylus controls on the DS. Personally, I think this game would get a lot more attention if they released it as a 3DSWare game instead.

siavm

siavm said:

$10 dollars on wiiware vs. $20 to $30 at retail for probably the same amount of content, no thank you.

Tails

Tails said:

I might take a look at getting this.. I still have that shirt that was signed by the real developers.. But i'll see if it goes down in price. If its $30 like everyone else said and has no extra content i'll be passing on it as well.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Now I can finally get a chance to play this, but I'll wait for it to drop in price a few times before purchasing it...

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Ideal for the DS touch screen and stylus - but won't be getting it unless it hopefully comes to dsiware or 3dsware.

The WiiWare version was excellent!

Yasume

Yasume said:

The WiiWare version was pretty much unplayable due to countless bugs. I have to say that I didn't care much for the gameplay and graphical style either. There were only 3 worlds so I assume that they will add more content, but it will most likely still fail.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Considering you "draw", I could imagine it benefiting from the U draw accessory, but even then, it needs ALOT more content to be a worthy retail.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@3
Actually no it wouldn't because all the action would take place on top screen. M&MM needs to use direct touch as it is awkward enough on Wii as it is.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

One of my favorite games on Wii! Surely if they bring it to retail they will expand the game, right? If so, definite buy for me. If they don't add content... what a missed opportunity.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I really liked it on WiiWare, despite some bugs (most of which are fixed by an update). If it don't have extra content, I'm surely not going to buy it. Would be a waste as well, 40 MB on a 4,7 GB DVD.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Well looks like it didn't work out on WiiWare for them.

I got the PC version for free and I don't love it, so pass for me.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Other Q2 DS releases include hidden object games Hollywood Files: Deadly Intrigues, and Mystery Tales 2: The Spirit Mask ― the follow up to last year's Mystery Tales: Time Travel, PC puzzle game Samantha Swift and the Hidden Roses of Athena makes the jump from desktop to handheld, and Hollywood Files: Deadly Intrigues"

Oh dear! It isn't in good company! I know that it is somewhat casual, but now it is branded explicity this way! Well, this won't attract any traditional gamer, that's for sure!

A pity, because the game is pretty fun. I hope though for the people that DO buy it that they have removed the game-breaking glitches!

And I agree about the price: It shouldn't be much more expensive then the wiiware version. Maybe just a little, because it's now in visible form (disc/cartridge).

accc

accc said:

Agree with what everyone's posted, Max just isn't meaty enough to be a full retail release.

Henmii

Henmii said:

@accc,

As far as I know the games from this "casual" series are never very expensive. If it costs 15 Euro's/Dollars, I think it's fair. However, if it costs 20 or 30 Euro's/Dollars, that would suck!

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

As much as I hate to admit it, this is one of those rare cases where the iPad version blows the Nintendo devices' versions out of the water.

I enjoyed the WiiWare game but it got tiresome because of how difficult it was to draw accurately. Once I got it for the iPad I was hooked.

y2josh

y2josh said:

I had fun with it, but I bought it in a steam bundle and I think I paid like a dollar for it.

motang

motang said:

I tried the demo and I couldn't really get into it, maybe on the DS with a stylus it will be a better experience.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Guess I'm in the minority b/c I really liked this game, one of my favorite Wiiware games (though not even close to Swords & Soldiers). This is my "go to" game when explaining to people why the tablet seems so unnecessary for the Wii, just point and paint on the tv screen. (Have people never heard of Winky Dink?) I liked the "sandbox", "SuperMax" and time trials for replay value. I would certainly purchase this on the DS for $15 (those DS games are never cheap). My guess is the the game would play out on the bottom screen and the top screen would just show stats. (Also, there aren't that many good games on the DS for kids after they finish Starfy, just bought Monster Tales yesterday and am planning on picking up Phantom Hourglass.)