Chrono Trigger Hits European Virtual Console on Friday

Posted by James Newton

Not long to wait now

Legendary Super NES RPG Chrono Trigger was never released on the system in Europe, so its impending Virtual Console release on Friday is cause for much celebration.

As the game was never officially released in Europe its VC appearance carries a small premium, selling for 900 Nintendo Points instead of 800, but what's an extra 100 Points between friends?

The game also hits North America today, making it a double-whammy of time-travelling Square gaming on the Nintendo Download this week.

Virtual Console – CHRONO TRIGGER®
(SQUARE ENIX, 900 Wii Points)
The millennium. A portal is opened. The chain of time is broken.

A young man is transported into the past, altering the course of history and the outcome of the future. He has to find his way home, but first he must travel to the outer edges of time to repair the world’s chronology.

On the way, he encounters strange friends and foes, utilises incredible devices and vehicles, and penetrates and neutralises the fortresses of the past, present and future.

A paradox has been created. If he does not restore the order of time, nothing will ever be the same.

He is the one who will become a hero. He is Crono.

Lan

Lan said:

i'm so glad europeans can play this now. you're in for a real treat!

FigetingPigeon

FigetingPigeon said:

Roll on Friday!! Can't wait to get my hands on this game. Also can't believe Nintendo are releasing this a week after we got a VC release here in Europe, we usually have a release ever 2 weeks, not that i'm complaining at all. Thankyou Nintendo for releasing this so soon.

Muis

Muis said:

Finally, a chance for me to play this game without having to pay a king's ransom! Bring it on!

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Great news. Hopefully my SNES Classic Controller arrives during the week, then I'll be set. :)

Lan

Lan said:

9 comments and no complaints yet on a story about vc? i'm so proud of you guys!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Things are looking up with Chrono Trigger out this week as well as Mughty Milky Way and FAST Racing league due out later in the month.

madgear

madgear said:

No too soon! Still not finished Final Fantasy 3 yet!! Argh too many games!

phoenix1818

phoenix1818 said:

@Fuzzy I'm also waiting on a SNES Classic Controller to arrive sometime in this week. I'll get this game as soon as its delivered.

taffy

taffy said:

Perfect, got exactly 900 points left on the Wii Shop Channel. Guess we all know what it will be used for :)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Wait, isn't that Virtual Console games two weeks in a row? It'd seriously be unfair if they didn't do that for us as well, especially considering how far behind Europe we already are.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I hear a lof of good things about this game. So I think will download it this friday.

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

yay, finally can try it with normal controller (classic controller in this case, to get the SNES feeling of this game)
man, i expected it coming late, but its great now :)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Ah cool, I'll download it!

900 points is not a problem, since it wasn't released before in Europe (the snes version, anyway). However, I hate it that Nintendo nowadays abuses the "hanabi" symbol, by just giving us Europeans American versions of games that where originally released in Europe, only so that they can ask 100 extra points.

Where's the time that there where actually Hanabi festivals, where Nintendo only released games in Europe that where never released before in Europe?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

They've done it twice. S.C.A.T. and Super Bonk to my knowledge. S.C.A.T. I don't know why but Super Bonk was probably for brand recognition. People probably wouldn't know the Super B.C. Kid name.

America is still several games ahead of Europe in total numbers. But then America did get a head start.

snigel1

snigel1 said:

This might be the first RPG since 'A link to the past' i give a serious shot, because of the constant overwhelming words going for it..

Henmii

Henmii said:

"They've done it twice. S.C.A.T. and Super Bonk to my knowledge. S.C.A.T. I don't know why but Super Bonk was probably for brand recognition. People probably wouldn't know the Super B.C. Kid name"

If they have only done it twice (I thought more then that, but you could be right), then it's not a real habit. But lets hope Nintendo doesn't make this a habit!! You know how greedy Nintendo is!

As for Super B.C Kid: I agree that Europeans probably wouldn't recognize the name.