Nintendo Download: 7th January 2011 (Europe)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

More Capcom arcade classics, plus a bunch of catch-up titles

Capcom is continuing their Virtual Console Arcade support with another two games, both of which were of course announced some time ago. At this rate they'll run out of games before we hit February! They're accompanied by a mixture of completely new games and games North America already got, most of which are fairly low-key.

WiiWare

Ghost Mania (Legendo, 500pts) – The falling block puzzler genre was quite popular on WiiWare for a while, but strangely died out not too long after it started. There's finally another one in the form of Legendo's latest, but it's not exactly worth getting too excited over, as you can find out in our Ghost Mania review.

Urbanix (Nordcurrent, 500pts) – Essentially a cleverly modernized version of Qix, in this game you play a little tractor who tries to erect cities. This is done by creating roads - Any area they fence in will instantly become filled in with new buildings. Of course, there's your usual share of powerups to get and enemies to avoid, so it won't be too easy. We'll have a review soon, but in the meantime, you could of course try...

WiiWare Demos

Urbanix (Nordcurrent) – Yet another new title is immediately accompanied by a demo, so if you don't feel like waiting for our take, you can try the game out for yourself.

Virtual Console

Exed Exes (Virtual Console Arcade, 800pts) – A mostly forgotten Capcom shoot 'em up, this one doesn't really have anything truly unique going for it. It's not necessarily a bad game, but we wouldn't exactly recommend it over many other shmups already available. We'll put up a review soon.

Ghosts 'n Goblins (Virtual Console Arcade, 800pts) – It was already available on the NES, but aside from obviously better graphics and sound, the original arcade version of one of the most infamously hard games ever is, shockingly, even more challenging than its console port. We'll give you our thoughts over the next few days.

DSiWare

Cosmo Fighters (Abylight, 500pts) – A somewhat River City Ransom-esque beat 'em up, the key difference being that you can only fight against other players in one small closed off environment. DSiWare doesn't have many games like this, but Cosmo Fighters doesn't do the job it had to do exceptionally well, as our Cosmo Fighters review will inform you.

Super Swap (Teyon, 500pts) – A fairly blatant Bejeweled clone, but that doesn't stop it from being quite enjoyable. It also helps that there are no Bejeweled games available on DSiWare in Europe - Get on the case, PopCap! You can find out everything you need to know in our Super Swap review.

Adventure in Vegas: Slot Machine (Gamelion Studios, 200pts) – A pretty sub-standard slot machine simulator, which unfortunately is every bit as unlikely to give you much happiness as in real life. See why it's best to stay away from gambling in our Adventure in Vegas: Slot Machine review.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Ghost Mania is awesome so far. Didn't like the demo of Urbanix, at all. Already have a GBA port of Ghosts 'n Goblins, so won't get that one. Great game though, except when the differences are huge.

Could you guys compare this version to the NES and tha GBA version?

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ Sneaker13: There's a port of the original GnG on the GBA? I can only think of a port of the third game in the series, Super Ghouls'n Ghosts.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Urbanix is okay, I enjoyed the demo but its not something I'd download. Neither will I download the arcade games although I am glad they came. I still think 800 points is too much for them.

Keeper, its a Famicom Mini game. Only released in Japan.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Finally, Ghosts and Goblins! Can't wait to grab this one.

EDIT: Once it's released in my country, I mean. Oops.

timp29

timp29 said:

AWESOME! I hope I don't regret getting the VC arcade version instead of the NES version.... How hard are we talking with Ghosts and Goblins anyway? I must be a masochist wanting to see how frustratingly hard this game is...

Alfred_ENG

Alfred_ENG said:

@ Bass X0
I agree with you mate 800 points is a bit much. 500 points = £3.50 much better price i think.

I bought Exed Exes and i am very pleased with the gameplay/music and the many game settings (I set auto fire on). It's good for a shooting game made in 1985 i think. I have never played it before. Like all VCA (Virtual Console Arcade) games it runs in 60Hz.

I don't think Capcom will release any of there games for Game Room (Xbox 360). This is why i am glad i own a Wii :)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@Alfred ENG -

Not sure why you think Capcom wouldn't release their games for Game Room. They put up Final Fight on XBLA not long ago.

Alfred_ENG

Alfred_ENG said:

Capcom make double maybe more profits selling on VCA then on GR (Game Room). Maybe we will see Capcom games in GR sometime around 2011. I hope so.

By the way i am a big fan of Game Room. I love GR and have most of the games. I would love to see Sega and Neo Geo games come out on it. I am not anti GR.

Tethers

Tethers said:

Why are the last VCA titles so expensive? 500 points would be a much better price for such old games...

Omega

Omega said:

I'm interested in Ghosts'n'Goblins. But if this game is as hard (or one might say unfair) as the Gameboy Color or the NES version, I better leave the fingers of it.

I would rather buy the Commodore 64 version.

I would even say I am extremely interested in the Commodore 64 version. It is easier (the last two levels are omitted and you don't need to play through the game twice) and that makes it better and more enjoyable for me than the NES/GBC versions.

It is still hard enough but with some practise it is perfectly doable. And it is pretty much the only C64 game that I am still interested in today.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'm downloading Ghost Mania. For 500 pts it does more than enough for me to be a justifiable purchase. Super Swap will be downloaded when my 3DS storage solution arrives (along with 9 other dsiware games!). I'd download ANY free wiiware demo that I haven't already downloaded as the full version.

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

Screw you Nintendo! We need more VC games in the US. Reggie hates us... :(

Oh, and I'm new here. :) Used to go to GoNintendo.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Screw you Nintendo! We need more VC games in the US. Reggie hates us...

I'm going to take you seriously and tell you that America just got nine games through November and December. Thats pretty good when you consider other months usually just get two each.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

I just want these early Capcom games out of the way so we can get Super Hang-On. I have them all on the X-box 'Classics Collection' disc and I also think 800 points is too much. Except 'Black Tiger', never played that and it looks quite good so will download when it appears.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Won't Arcade GnG have unlimited continues...thus making it easier rather than more difficult in the long run if not the short run?

Omega

Omega said:

^ The Gameboy Color version has unlimited continues and is still hard as nails.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Man I gotta disagree with the Arcade GnG being harder than the NES one....the NES physics were so much choppier and harder to use....Arc GnG plays almost identically to Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Playing it with a d-pad/buttons is actually not too bad...

Unlimited continues or not, I find it easier. Granted, by level 3 they're both pretty nasty :)

OnionOverlord

OnionOverlord said:

Virtual console always did have ups and downs, but lately it's been more up than down, so I can't complain.

I will certainly be picking up this title once it came out. It's frustrating, sure, but it's also pretty fun!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@Swerd - Super Ghouls'n Ghosts' difficulty is incredibly overrated, imo. It's one of those games that becomes easier for me the more I play it, but I still love it.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Ah yes, good to see GnG arcade appear... don't know if we'll get it this Monday, but at least we're one step closer to seeing this and Faxandu here. I've been waiting on Arcade GnG... I will have my revenge...