We've already seen tons of information floating around about Nintendo's upcoming 3DS system, but with today's revelations, we decided it was time to collect all of the various bits of information into one tidy spot. You can check out all of the information we currently have on Nintendo's upcoming wonder portable and we'll keep you posted when any new information is revealed.
- 3D screen, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses and the ability to adjust or turn off 3D effect with the 3D Depth Slider.
- Stereo cameras that enable users to take 3D photos that can be viewed instantly on the 3D screen.
- New input interfaces including the Circle Pad, motion sensor, gyro sensor
- SpotPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain information, game data, free software, videos and so on for players even when the system is in sleep mode.
- StreetPass, a feature that lets Nintendo 3DS exchange data automatically with other Nintendo 3DS systems within range, even in sleep mode once this feature is activated by the user. Data for multiple games can be exchanged simultaneously.
- Convenient features that users can access without stopping game play such as the HOME menu, Internet Brower, Notifications, etc.
- Plenty of built-in software such as the Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Maker, StreetPass, Mii Plaza, AR Games, Activity Log, Face Raiders, etc.
- Nintendo eShop where users can view trailers, software rankings and purchase software.
- System Transfer which enable users to transfer already purchased software from one Nintendo 3DS system to another. DSiWare purchased for the Nintendo DSi or the Nintendo DSi XL can also be transferred into a Nintendo 3DS system.
- Compatibility functions where both new software designed for Nintendo 3DS and most software for the Nintendo DS family of systems can be played.
- Parental Controls which enable parents to restrict game content by ratings as well as use of specific wireless connectivity, 3D functionality, etc.
Size (when closed)
2.9 inches high, 5.3 inches long, 0.8 inches deep.
Approximately 8 ounces (including battery pack, stylus, SD memory card).
Wide-screen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses. Capable of displaying approximately 16.77 million colors. 3.53 inches display (3.02 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 800 x 240 pixel resolution. 400 pixels are allocated to each eye to enable 3D viewing.
LCD with a touch screen capable of displaying 16.77 million colors. 3.02 inches (2.42 inches wide, 1.81 inches high) with 320 x 240 pixel resolution.
One inner camera and two outer cameras. Resolutions are 640 x 480 for each camera. Lens are single focus and uses the CMOS capture element. The active pixel count is approximately 300,000 pixels.
2.4 GHz. Enabling local wireless communication among multiple Nintendo 3DS systems for game play and StreetPass. Enabling access to the Internet through wireless LAN access points (supports IEEE802.11 b/g with the WPA™/WPA2™ security feature). Recommended distance of wireless communication is within 98.4 feet. This can be shorter depending on the enviromental situation. WPA and WPA2 are marks of the Wi-Fi Alliance.
- A/B/X/Y Button, +Control Pad, L/R Button, START/SELECT
- Circle Pad (enabling 360-degree analog input)
- Touch screen
- Embedded microphone
- Motion sensor
- Gyro sensor
Other Input Controls
- 3D Depth Slider (enabling smooth adjustment of the 3D level effect)
- HOME Button (brings up the HOME menu)
- Wireless switch (can disable wireless functionality even during game play)
- POWER button
- Game Card slot
- SD Card slot
- Cradle connector
- AC adapter connector
- Audio jack (stereo output)
Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen (supports virtual surround sound).
Telescoping stylus (approximately 3.94 inches when fully extended).
AC adaptor (WAP-002 [EUR). Nintendo 3DS Battery Pack (lithium ion battery) [CTR-003].
About 3.5 hours
When playing Nintendo 3DS software about 3-5 hours. When playing Nintendo DS software about 5-8 hours. Battery duration differs depending on the brightness setting of the screen. The information regarding battery duration is a rough standard. It can be shorter depending on what functions of the Nintendo 3DS system are used.
Nintendo 3DS Game Card. The size is approximately the same as Nintendo DS Game Card.