Japanese Virtual Console list - January 2011

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Square Enix delivers another RPG epic

There's still another Friday left this month, but Nintendo of Japan has already added the next month's upcoming Virtual Console games to their site. Maybe they're taking a well-deserved break next week!

Only three games are on the list, but as one of them is a highly requested title, it alone could probably keep people happy for an entire month. The full list is as follows:

Super Famicom:

• Final Fantasy V (Another one not released outside Japan until it got remakes, this brings us one step closer to the Final Fantasy game everybody in the west is waiting for.)
  • Super E.D.F. Earth Defense Force

Neo Geo:

• World Heroes Perfect (The final World Heroes game, oddly enough skipping number 2, this one adds a handful of extra characters and refines the gameplay a little bit more.)

Which game would you like to see Square Enix bring to the west next?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

World Heroes Perfect is a lot of fun. One of my favorites. Nice to see they finally got it right. Or at least much closer than the previous releases. :)

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Which games would you like to see Square Enix bring to the west next?

StarBoy hopes that Square-Enix plans on releasing the rest of the SNES Quintet/Enix line-up of games to the VC

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I want Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma. Now. :D

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Hmm....what Square game would be good on VC......besides the obvious Chrono Trigger........tbh, I'm not quite sure. Wasn't a big Square fan back in the SNES days, though I am now. Final Fantasy and World Heroes should be a couple of fine releases, though.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Three years ago Square-Enix released ActRaiser (Quintet/Enix) on the VC. You would think that they would release the other Quintet/Enix line-up of games, too; but it hasn't happened. The VC is a chance for some to catch up with and experience the classics (for instance: some, like myself, own an SNES console, but not everyone does), and I feel they're blowing a big opportunity by not releasing them [Quintet/Enix games].
Sometimes I worry that Square completely forgot that they merged with Enix less than a decade ago.

Terranigma has been on my wishlist for a long time (it's right at the top).

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

My Favorite Final Fantasy. Too bad we won't get it, but at least we're now one step closer to Final Fantasy VI.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Mickeymac
It's my favorite Final Fantasy also. And contains my favorite Final Fantasy soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu (Prelude to the Void, Clash on the Big Bridge, Slumber of Ancient Earth, several other... listening is like being on another plane of existence).

They LITERALLY don't make Final Fantasy like this anymore. Modern FF is more like science fiction. I anticipate Last Story will be more Final Fantasy than current or future Final Fantasies.

Anyway, even if it meant Square-Enix didn't give me any other release for 2011, I'd like to see FF V (one of the most unimaginably ignored FFs) brought to American VC, translated or not. I want to play FF V as it was originally intended, on the SNES. Won't happen, but a fan can dream! Sad we missed out on FF V in the early 90's and will now miss out on it again in 2011 because Square didn't think Americans could handle the difficulty, complexity or whatever the Hell they were thinking.

x10power

x10power said:

Wow Japan gets FFV my favorite Final Fantasy Pre FFVIII, Post FFVIII is FFIX, than FFVIII with FFVII. I could go for more Enix games like Soul Brazer, Illusion of Gaia, Actrasier 2. I just recently pick up Illusion of Gaia for my Snes (I fell in love with it so quickly).

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

The SNES version won't get translated but maybe we could get a port of the GBA version (which did get a translation) on WiiWare to compensate. Or would that be shot down as lazy for not remaking the graphics? I'd prefer a straight GBA port if the alternative was no version at all.

motang

motang said:

I remember playing World Heroes Perfect, hopefully it will make on to US Wii VC. :)

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

if Ninty/SE get the fan translation all is well. I really need to finish FFV but due to expensive GBA carts I'll wait for this.

Lordy

Lordy said:

well, I already have FFV on Anthology for PSX, but I'd still download it day one if it came to NA. I'm just downloading every SE game to encourage them to put the Quintet games up. I don't want to have to (shudders) emulate them for God's sake.

7th_lutz

7th_lutz said:

I wouldn't be shocked if Final Fantasy 6 released in 2011. I am hoping that more enix games be will released on the vc including Terranigma.

I am hoping that there will more vc games from the enix of side that will be released.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Bass X0
I for one wouldn't shoot down anything Squenix did with FF V, as I'd just be thankful they're giving attention to arguably the second most ignored FF (NES III being the first). I wish they'd use either the PSX or GBA translation and apply it to the SNES version, but somehow I doubt that'll happen. An FF IV: After Years-like sequel would be nice too. Guess we'll have to wait and see, but after it took 7 years for America to even play FF V, not holding my breath.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Come to think of it, not a single Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest game has been released on the VC anywhere.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

@StarBoy - i was thinking that too...last time I recall DQ 1 or 2 coming out in a new form was the Gameboy Color doublepack back around 2000... I'd kinda like the originals on VC despite owning all the carts (yes, even 4 :) )

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

There is one game series I really want to play, and to have an appearance on VC is Earthbound!!!! T_T But somethings will never come to fruition. I'll be still ever waiting patiently for its release.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

I used to own Earthbound on the snes, but my brother's friend "borrowed it" before I was able to get past Onett. I couldn't hold out for the virtual console release so I resorted to a modern method. It's absolutely amazing, definitely didn't disappoint, way longer than I thought it was going to be. Will probably buy it on virtual console if it ever comes out in the UK...

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

May 2011 hopefully be the year that games like SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, and the rest of the Quintet/Enix titles finally hit the VC.

If anyone from Square-Enix is reading any of the comments,

please make it happen!!!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

"Yeah, whether you accept it or hate it, VC games don't get any work done on them. Even a translation where one exists in another version."

I still don't get why they could just use the PS1 version of FFV for VC. I mean all they had to do was removed all the CGI craps from that version and viola it's perfect for VC. Just because it was released on disc isn't a good excuse, when Nintendo released the original Legend of Zelda, it wasn't the original NES cart version but the disc Zelda Collector's version. So I don't know why Square Enix can't do the same when Nintendo already tried it.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

I think I'll start a Super Smash Bros./Earthbound-style ranting/PR campaign for Final Fantasy V. No, it won't do any good. No, Square-Enix won't give America FF V on VC. Yes, it'll get out some of my past frustrations that have burned inside over Japanese preference and missing out on 3 Final Fantasies for YEARS! We've never seen NES FF II or III either.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Guess I'll have to start my campaign by replacing my Ramona Flowers avatar with a Bartz/Butz avatar... or maybe not.

IAmChristinaAguilera

IAmChristinaAguilera said:

As far as I've heard, the PS1 disc releases of the SNES FF games were ports, not emulations. Soooo... that's why.

And yeah, I want some Enix games on VC like whoa.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

@31.BetelgeuseWC77: Geez, can't you get it on GBA anyway?

Final Fantasy VI yaaaaay
Never played a FF game before, so everyone's favorite will be my first when it comes out on VC sometime next year, and in 60hz too! Thank god it wasn't released back in the day.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Big A2
I've got FF V on GBA, and PlayStation. While I liked the GBA version, there are the downgraded graphics and sound. And there's a whole slew of issues on the PS version. I'd simply like to the play FF V as it was originally intended, on the SNES. The first version of the game, that America should have gotten from the beginning.

Would be nice to see Dragon Warrior/Quest on VC as well. Hard to imagine that not one of them has been released yet. Never did get II through IV on NES (may eventually give in and get used versions at Amazon). With 3DS (going to pluck down $50 today to reserve at GameStop) VC forthcoming, maybe we'll get the Game Boy Color Dragon Quest I & II next year!

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

Huh. I always thought that the GBA was just as powerful as the SNES. I guess I was wrong...

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Big A2
Well, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Yoshi's Island are pretty close to the SNES versions, except for maybe smaller sprites to accommodate the smaller screen. Not sure about the the technical comparisons between the two systems.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

@ 20
Terranigma or Seiken Densetsu 3

EXACTAMONDO! These two gems I sampled and LOVED them... I have no idea why at LEAST Terranigma hasn't been released, along with Soul Blazer (though I've played and beat that one). I know Illusion of Gaia was the most well rounded of the loose "trilogy" (and my favorite), but still....

As for SD3, I love Secret of Mana (or SD2, nuff said).

I too want the rest of the Quintet games including Act Raiser 2 (brutal, but managed to beat it), but uh... please leave Quintet game 7th Saga at the door shudders at the game. I managed to beat that game with the never ending grinding, something I was never nuts about to begin with, and I literally ran away from fights in the final sectors until the final boss and WON. I hate that game, lol, loved the story and the character system, but the grinding and money sucked... maybe it would be different a 2nd go around...?

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@MeloMan - The 7th Saga (Elnard in Japan) was developed by Produce [the developers behind the first Super Adventure Island and Brain Lord], not Quintet; but it was published by Enix.

I hope someone from Square-Enix is reading all these comments.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

@36: The GBA version of Final Fantasy VI shows that, while close, the GBA can't quite spit out everything that the SNES could push before it starts asking for a break. Tinnier music and some instances of slowdown.

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

would be cool, another FF
i yet have to see where nintendo stated they wont ever translate games which didnt get outside japan

some people said to me that remakes wont get on VC, while KSS is here and FFIV has the same
same with earthbound, as "Nintendo" has never said anything about it not coming

well, we can hope, and they may do, prolly will be later rather than sooner, but better later than never :)

ps. if someone wants to tell me they wont do something, plz give me an OFFICIAL link from "Nintendo"

EDIT:
btw, why is this page about a game, while it already has its own page? just wondering

Retrogamer88

Retrogamer88 said:

Which game would you like to see Square Enix bring to the west next?

Seiken Densetsu 3,front misson:gun hazard,chrono trigger,romancing SaGa games,secret of evermore,bahamut lagoon