Nintendo Bringing 2D and 3D Mario Games to 3DS

Posted by James Newton

Talk about spoilt for choice

Hold onto your red caps Mario fans: the plumber's set to star in 2D and 3D games on the 3DS.

Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that the ever-popular frontman will receive both old-school 2D outings and more complex 3D adventures to ensure broad appeal for all gamers.

When Super Mario became Mario 64, the range of players narrowed greatly. When asked 'what will we do on 3DS,' the answer is, of course, we'll make both. They both have their own appeal.

Regrettably Mr Miyamoto didn't reveal any further details on either title, but now we know Mario's making at least four outings on the machine following earlier announcements of Paper Mario and Mario Kart.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

didn't they kind of have that with DS? Super Mario 64 DS and New Super Mario Bros? SM64DS was a remake, but still.
Nonetheless YAAAAAY!

JustYourAverageBleh

JustYourAverageBleh said:

Presumably, they're talking about Perspective 3D not the 3D Pop in, out effect cause it would be pointless to develop a 2D-only game on the 3DS platform if they could just make a 3D game and you can feasibly turn off the 3D functionality.

skywake

skywake said:

New SMB 3DS is so very definitely going to happen. I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I am sure Nintendo knows that I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

A fully 3D 3D Mario is also not that much of a shock, although maybe a bit more than another New SMB, given how much Miyamoto was hyping the "navigating 3D environments" problem at E3. Surely there is more than OoT that can benifit from that supposed huge advantage the 3DS has!

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

3D 2D Mario FTW. :) It could work really well, with levels having multiple layers, one being outside the screen! Oh, and augmented reality mini games! Or maybe that should be Wario Wares area, considering how the series has continously and successfully introduced new ways to enjoy mini games... Just ignore Snap and that statement will hold true, k? :)

Yasume

Yasume said:

I agree with fishman100, that would be awesome. Especially since I sold my copy while I still missed a few shines.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

In the article about it on IGN Miyamoto said that they would still use 3D perspective with the 2D games. For example, Bullet Bills may come flying at you from the distance. He said it's been done minimally in past games but it didn't work great because it was hard to judge where they were coming from. Now it won't be difficult.

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

3DS will be amazing and Mario will be at the forefront of the experience. I am playing Mario 64 again and it's so excellent. If Nintendo makes a new 3D Mario for 3DS it should be based in the Mushroom Kingdom. Also, love the idea of getting Sunshine (sequel or port) at some point. As for 2D, I'm guessing a New Super Mario Bros. 3DS as it's the 3rd for the franchise. I'm excited as always for Mario. Luigi's Mansion 2 would be a great sequel. Also, put Peach and Wario with Mario and Luigi in the 2D adventure as well. It's time for Peach to help Mario again. :)

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I take this all to mean that they'll be porting the old stuff over til further notice. Until I specifically see a [insert new 2D Mario game here] or [insert new 3D Mario game here] for 3DS, I'm not gonna get to excited too fast on this one, but yes, it would be nice if Shiggy meant new for each.

Punny

Punny said:

@lex0plex: You know, there is a Paper Mario game for the 3DS that's an RPG. :)

The more Mario, the marrier! Keep 'em coming, Nintendo! :)

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Super Mario 64, please.

Or you know, not. I don't care either way, more Mario means more awesome. :-D

Hokori

Hokori said:

Come on Super Mario Sunshine 2, Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario Galaxy 3D, Super mario 128, and NSMB3

hulklol123456789

hulklol123456789 said:

I will realy like to see another game like super mario sunshine, a re-make maybe? Insted of water fire? Idk, but it is the greatest mario game I have ever played, who cares about galaxy games, they are boring, I wan another super mario sunshine.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

No one really understands the point of Mario. When NES was released, Super Mario Bros. blew people away b/c the graphics and gameplay were so much more sophisticated than anything available. When Super Mario Bros. 3 came out it blew people away again b/c it was like playing a 16-bit game. When N64 came out, Super Mario 64 blew people away b/c it was a fully realized 3D world. When Mario Galaxy came out, it blew people away b/c it was almost 4-dimensional. So on the 3DS, Super Mario 3D will be the next evolution of blowing people away, however they decide to do that. And then the 2D Mario's are always cool b/c they give you that nostlagic and tight gameplay. So I'm glad we have both options

Percentful

Percentful said:

I was planning on saving about $300 for a 3DS. I think I'm going to have to save about $450, because of all the amazing games coming out. :|

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I'm interested to see how this works, aside from the usual port of Super Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion which we know will be coming (SM Galaxy maybe? Probably not until far late in the consoles life). Here's hoping for Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars in portable form in 3D with new areas/features to explore! :)

CowLaunch

CowLaunch said:

hmmm, I had hoped that the two were getting closer to being in the same game, so you'd select a level on a 2D SMB3 style map, and some would be 2D, and some 3D. I guess that doesn't make much business sense, but I'd like to see it happen.

Belgicario

Belgicario said:

Super Mario Trilogy: Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy on one cartridge! In 3D!

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Where can Mario go beyond the Galaxy? DREAMS that's where. I wan't a true 3D Sequl to Super Mario Bros 2 please!

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

super mario 64 for the ds fell short of the n64 version in my opinion because of the controls. having to hold Y to run meant it was nearly impossible to do anything while running. When I'm playing the N64 version on an emulator using a SNES controller I have it set to "slam" the stick all the way if i push a direction, and it works fine. they should've made it hold Y to walk slow

anyway the little analoge sticks they're putting in should fix that

Nintendo-is-my-love

Nintendo-is-my-love said:

excellent i was a little bit disapionted when paper mario and mario kart where the only mario games announced for 3ds but now i dont need to worry that when i get it i will have to wait a long time to gett a third mario game. hopefully the names and more information is realised soon

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Game Boy Color got Super Mario Deluxe, (NES -> GBC)
Advance got Super Mario World (SNES -> GBA)
DS got Mario64x4 (N64 -> DS)
3DS (hopefully) gets Sunshine in stereoscopic 3D (Game Cube -> 3DS)

xPOTATOx

xPOTATOx said:

I hope the 3D RPG for the 3DS will be alot like SM64. Or something even better, I can't wait! =D

CaptainRandom

CaptainRandom said:

@27 - You do know that the 4th dimension is time right? So, you're saying that SMG almost let people travel through time.