Wii Remote With MotionPlus Built-In Launches in Japan Next Month

Posted by Trevor Chan

Five colours to choose from, and a new Nunchuk too

Last week's Nintendo conference was undoubtedly all about the 3DS but with all the new standards the handheld is about to set, what about the other pieces of hardware that Nintendo's working on? Since the rather puzzling box-art of FlingSmash was added to Gamestop's product page, we've been waiting for official word from Nintendo and now it's come via the company's Japanese website.

The Wii Remote with MotionPlus built-in will be launching in Japan on 11th November and will be priced at ¥3,800, which just so happens to be the price of the standard remotes. The new "Wii Remote Plus" will be launching in a variety of colours; allowing gamers to choose between the white, black, blue, red, or pink variants.

On the same day, Nintendo will be replacing the standard remotes that come bundled with the console with this new Wii Remote Plus. The Wii Nunchuk will be getting a new splash of colour too as Nintendo releases the red version to join the already available white and black models. All nunchuks will be priced at ¥1,800 with this new red model sure to go nicely with the recently announced red Wii console.

[via andriasang.com]

JimLad

JimLad said:

It's finally happening!
...too late some might say since hardly anyone put their weight behind motion plus, and everyone now thinks motion controls only work in party games.
Only a new console will set developers on the right path.

skywake

skywake said:

but.. but.. I already have 3 Wii Remotes, 2 Nunchucks and 3 Motion Pluses! Oh well, I guess I'll get the black (or red?) one when it comes out. I'm sick of having to mess around with motion plusses (which stay on most of the time) when I want to play Guitar Hero or use the Wii Wheel..... or any game that needs to be played NES style....

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

So at least it costs just as much as your regular remote. I might get one if they come out here for the same price, and one of my remotes break.

Supermegaman

Supermegaman said:

I wont pick any up now (I already have 4 remotes and M+s), but when the next console comes out Ill replace all my wiimotes Ive had since launch.
It is my nefarious plan to extend the life of my wii! muwahahaha >:3

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Yes please, but I request that the new Wii Remotes are no longer than the old ones... I got Mario Kart to play, y'know.

Also... no blue nunchaku?! BAH!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I have lots of Wii-motes!! I even have a few boxed (brand new) ones, so I might get two but red ones. I reckon if the red ones come here (UK) we could / might get the limited edition Wii's.

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

Though the red remote would be cool for playing NSMBW, I think I'll get the black one, because I've had a black nunchuck for almost a year now.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

@Xkhaoz Maybe Nintendo'll release a wireless Nunchuk some day. That would be so awesome. If not, the Wii's successor will surely have one.

Pod

Pod said:

Hot dang, the red one is snazzy looking. Seeing as I can't have the lime green one from the original press material, I just might go for the Ferrari. :)

Sakeraf

Sakeraf said:

if only Nintendo would do some trade-in offer. i don't need more but i love the color.

Ren

Ren said:

I got four remotes and no + still. does this mean I should sell a couple now before they're completely worthless.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I wonder how long it will be before they are released here, because I thought I remember hearing that LoZ: Skyward Sword will be packaged with a motion plus. Could be wrong.

I don't really care too much, as long as the old ones still work, which I am willing to bet they will. I don't mind the motion plus. I actually kind of like having it on when I'm playing non-motion plus games.

Sadsack_Awesome

Sadsack_Awesome said:

@xkhaoz: The reason why they haven't, and probably never will release wireless Nunchucks is because then you'd need even more batteries because they would run on battery power! You see, the Nunchucks get their power from the Wii Remote. Besides, it'd take ages syncing Wii Remotes with wireless Nunchucks.

Pod

Pod said:

There's more the the "Wireless Nunchuck" thing than the batteries and the cost;

The wire connecting your hands has become synonymous with playing Wii, in the same manner that the wires going to your ear signefied an iPod in the popular ads.
Nintendo wouldn't sacrifice the brand value of the visible wire between the base remote and the nunchuck. At a distance, the controllers themselves will disappear into the player's hands, but the wire will be visible, and no other consumer entertainment product has this specific appearance.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

So we just now get the remote we should have had in the box at launch...

Although it still won't do any good because they won't use WM+ as much as they should as long as so many people out there still just have regular Wii Remotes. :(

@23: You do know that a Wii Remote Plus in a Wii Wheel for Mario Kart wouldn't actually do anything, right? If a game doesn't support WM+, having it plugged in won't change the way the game controls. Playing Mario Kart with a Wii Remote Plus will be the exact same as playing it with a regular Wii Remote.