Rare Reveals Nintendo Wanted to Cancel GoldenEye

Posted by James Newton

The Bond title nobody wanted but everybody loves

Ahh, GoldenEye 007: so many wasted hours, so many headshots, so many arguments over Oddjob. It all could have been so different had Rare acted on a letter sent by Nintendo that pulled the plug on the shooter.

Speaking to British magazine EDGE, Studio Director Mark Betteridge revealed the team's initial trepidation when approached by Nintendo to develop the 007 shooter.

It wasn't something we were really doing - we were trying to build our own IP, and film tie-ins meant a lot of ownership by the film company. But Nintendo was very keen.

Rare's hesitation seemed justified as the project faltered, with internal confidence low following a poor response to its unveiling at E3 with Rare believing Banjo Kazooie would be the studio's flagship title on the N64.

The real hammer blow came when Nintendo wrote to Rare suggesting it cancelled the project after significant delays. Betteridge, faced with a decision the benefit of hindsight has told us is hugely important, decided not to inform the development team, letting them put the finishing touches on the game and ship it.

The rest, as they say, is history, but it could have been so very different.

[via gamerzines.com]

Punny

Punny said:

I'm glad they didn't cancel GoldenEye. Without it, FPS games just wouldn't be the same. That, and the fact that there wouldn't be a Wii re-imagining. :)

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Wow, I never knew that. I can't imagine the world of gaming today without Goldeneye. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. It seems 80% of today's games are shooters of some kind.

jer18

jer18 said:

Gogo Rare. TJ combo that letter right into the trash. This is one of the few titles that I plan on getting! Along with others, glad its moving forward :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Banjo Kazooie was Rare's flagship title and always will be. Nothing else comes close. :)

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Good god, Rare needs to quit taking these potshots at Nintendo, considering that they can only ride on the success of Perfect Dark with any degree of success now.

They're looking like gilted lovers.

erv

erv said:

Banjo tooie rocked more than anything.

Anyhow, Nintendo was obviously a lot different with yamauchi at head. Glad that's over...

Phobos

Phobos said:

Meh. I've never been a fan of Bond myself. I always thought it was cheesy action, as young as I am. No contradictory statement meant here, though.

Zach

Zach said:

Rare is the reason I have faith in a company when it delays a game's release. It happened with almost all of their N64 games (once they could get away with it) and they made some of the best titles on the system.

wedgeredleader

wedgeredleader said:

@9 I will agree with you in that statement. Whenever Microsoft buys a company, they ruin it. Just take a look at nuts and bolts: it removed most platforming elements. Also Microsoft ruined any chance of a Banjo Kazooie and Tooie on the VC. Many companies bought my Microsoft become worse than original. It's very sad.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I told you all Nintendo hates core gamers! Casuals! Waggle fest! Shovelware! Kiddie company! Halo!
*ahem
Excuse me...

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

@wedgeredleader
Hey, I actually loved Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Very under-rated game. Microsoft didn't ruin Rare, per se, but they're certainly not utilizing them the way they could be

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

MS didn't ruin Rare. Rare ruined Rare. Or more accurately, all the actually talented members of Rare leaving over the years is what "ruined" Rare.

Bankai

Bankai said:

Meh. If 007 was canned, some other developer an publisher would have innovated in the same way Rare did.

Machu

Machu said:

Nintendo made more moneyz with Rare than MS could ever dream to. xD

As for the story, life is full of ifs and buts, blah.

buts, tehe

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

They should have listened, it would have been one less mediocre Rare game that people go nuts over.

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

Too bad we won't see GoldenEye 007 being released on Virtual Console or XBLA since I don't care at all about that stupid new game made by Actvision. :(

Rare should definitely bring more remakes of their other classics to XBLA in the future though. I want Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Battletoads,... :)

PS: Donkey Kong 64 and Diddy Kong Racing should finally be released on Virtual Console. But I know the legal issues (especially with the Rare characters in Diddy Kong Racing).

YoshiSage

YoshiSage said:

@mjc0961: Uncalled for. You don't have to like the game, but you said that Rare should have listened, and that's basically saying that people who actually enjoy this game should be deprived of it. You don't have to like it, but we'd appreciate it if you didn't say stuff like "This game shouldn't have been made so people who don't have the exact same tastes as me can't play it."

MrB4

MrB4 said:

Thank god things didn't turn out the way they were suppossed to huh.

If that happened, one of the greatest FPS games would have been just another cancelled movie tie-in.