Japanese Virtual Console list - August 2010

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Survival horror from Sunsoft and more

Just three games for Japan this month, which is pretty much to be expected by now. One of them is a Nintendo 64 game everybody else has already gotten, while the other two games are both great, but Japan-exclusive. The only way we'll be seeing either of them is through import releases!

The full, short list for Japan next month is as follows:

Super Famicom:

• Clock Tower (August 3rd) The first in the moderately popular survival horror series, and arguably the best, you have to try and make it out of a mansion alive while a 9-year old monster with a giant pair of scissors chases you. Sunsoft is handling publishing duties, which could mean they own Human Entertainment's entire library of games.

Nintendo 64:

• Mario Tennis - One of the first times Japan plays catchup with an N64 game, and probably one of the last as well!

Neo Geo:

• Miracle Adventure (August 3rd) An amusing action platformer by Data East called Spinmaster elsewhere, and another possible candidate for western release, if D4 Enterprise ever gets around to all the games they could be releasing elsewhere!

That's all! Would you like to see Clock Tower or SpinMaster elsewhere?

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

Both Clock Tower and Miracle Adventure are out on Tuesday (the 3rd), so I'm pretty sure that we will see more VC titles to be added later this month. :)

@Drake: I think that Clock Tower's in-game text is Japanese-only. The menu is in English, however.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

I was seriously under the impression it was English - I guess every single screenshot and video online is from a fan translation!

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Ew, I remember playing Clock Tower on the PSOne. It actually creeped me out when the Scissor man was rocking in his chair like a maniac while the TV was on AND when you find out who the killer really is. That aside, terrible game. I'd kill myself If I had to play and finish that game all over again. The SNES original i'm guessing is totaly superior. Still a pass for me.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Clock Tower, interesting.
Wasn't Super Soccer for the SNES done by Human Entertainment as well, only it was published by Nintendo?

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

There was a Clock Tower the for SNES?
I remeber playing this game on the PSOne, and Man it was Scary!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

^ creeps me right. the. sh*t. out. i know it's all cheesy as hell, too, but for some reason... ugh. good game, though.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

CLOCK TOWER on SNES!? Never heard of this... always thought the PS1 version was the original. Now I REALLY wanna play this!

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@Drake - that footage was ... awfully eerie. It looks like you control a cursor in this game. Does it require the SNES Mouse or is it done by Control Pad (I think it might be the latter, but I'm not sure)?

SuperTeeter64

SuperTeeter64 said:

Clock Tower...
Eeeh... Shudder... That game scared the Ribena out of me. XD I dunno why. It's just SNES. But it's still freaky for something on SNES. Really freaky... AND very twisted...
I still snicker at the company that made it...
"Human Entertainment"
... SCREW YOU GUYS!

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I played Clock Tower for the first time about a year ago and surprisingly for SNES game it's still creepy. I would have thought a SNES game could have been creepy at the time of release but never thought it would hold up. I usually avoid this type of game but it's actualy really well done.

Spinmaster isn't a bad arcade platformer though it's been years since I've played it.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I don't know what was sadder about that Clock Tower footage: that the main character kept tripping over her own feet or that she was able to overpower the scissor guy so easily.

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

I had no clue that Clock Tower was on the Super Nin err Famicom.

Going by the video that Drake posted, it doesn't seem nearly as creepy as the PSX version.

Rebel81

Rebel81 said:

Spinmaster has been released in the west on Neo Geo Home, check your sources, by the way a great platformer. Lovely 2 player mode as well

WiiFreedom

WiiFreedom said:

I really want to play Clock Tower so bad; they really need to port it into the American VC.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@TheFox - apparently, your definiton of the word "sad" differs from the rest of ours. The true sad thing about the video is that the protagonist did not make it out alive.
Looks like one of those games where you have to memorize where you're gonna go if you're gonna survive.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@StarBoy: See definition number 5 here. It is pretty lame that she's constantly falling over herself throughout the game IMO... still a creepy game, though, lol.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

@Starboy
Edit: Whoops, nevermind...TBD already cleared it up.

I'm actually kind of hoping Clock Tower make it over here. The video looks pretty cool.

Mystemo

Mystemo said:

FUUUU... I want Clock Tower :(
Hope they release it as a Hanabi Festival game here in the future.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Well, the game looks like it can be played regardless of what language it's in. I'm sure it'll be released here in the West someday in the future.
I mean, DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure can be played regardless of what language it's in (I was always tolerant about the Japanese language).

KeroKero_Cola

KeroKero_Cola said:

@WaveBoy Man, do I disagree. I loved Clock Tower on the PlayStation, one of my favorite games. I played the SNES one a couple of times back in the day, though I vaguely remember it. I will be downloading it promptly when it releases in America.