Tetris Party Deluxe Dropping Into Wii and DS

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

New modes, Wii Speak support and more blocks than the entire 8-bit era

You may have thought Tetris Party on WiiWare had exhausted all variants on the classic puzzler, but you'd be wrong. Very wrong.

Hudson Soft, Tetris Online and Majesco have announced today that they've found even more kitchen sinks to throw into the mix for the retail release that is Tetris Party Deluxe for Wii and DS. Six new modes, including something called Bombliss and VS. Sprint, have meandered their way in alongside four-player local and online multiplayer.

Balance Board support is still in, with newfangled support for the Wii Wheel and Wii Speak included. Presumably the latter is for swearing at talking to your friends in heated online matches, but if it allows for yelling "twist!" and "drop!" at the TV to play then color us pleased.

Tetris Party Deluxe is set to hit North America this June, with European launch details still hazy. The full press release is below.

Tetris(R) Party Deluxe" Announced for Wii(TM) and Nintendo DS(TM)
Strategic Partnership Paves the Way for the Popular Puzzle Game to Hit Retail Shelves This June

HONOLULU, HI, Feb 17, 2010 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- Tetris Online, Inc. (www.tetrisonline.com) today announced the upcoming release of "Tetris(R) Party Deluxe" for both Wii(TM) and Nintendo DS(TM), set to hit retail shelves in North America this June.

To support the launch and distribution of two exciting new Tetris games for Wii(TM) and Nintendo DS(TM), Tetris Online has formed a strategic partnership with Majesco Entertainment Company, an innovative provider of video games for the mass market.

Developed by Hudson Soft, "Tetris Party Deluxe" builds on the previously released "Tetris Party" for WiiWare(TM) by adding new modes and features to enrich the overall game play experience for both Wii and Nintendo DS. "Tetris Party Deluxe" features:

-Six new game modes including the explosive Bombliss(TM) and VS. Sprint that enables up to four players to compete for the first 40 line completion.
-Four new enhanced modes of play including an Edit Mode within Shadow that lets players create their own shadow puzzles to play.
-Online battles over Nintendo(R) Wi-Fi Connection, and local multiplayer fun for groups of friends and family.
-New ways to play like never before! On Wii, use the Wii Balance Board(TM), Wii Wheel(TM), Wii Speak(TM) or your own personal Mii(TM) to customize the game experience!

"After seeing how well 'Tetris Party' was received on WiiWare, we immediately began working with Hudson Soft to develop an even more impressive version of the game intended to reach larger audiences at retail for both Wii and Nintendo DS," said Minoru Arakawa, president and chief executive officer of Tetris Online, Inc.

The Tetris brand is stronger than ever before, and we're thrilled to be working with world-class partners such as Majesco and Hudson to help deliver the best Tetris experience possible to fans this summer."

The Tetris game is one of the world's most popular casual computer games and has been scientifically shown to change our brains -- another great reason to look forward to the June release of "Tetris Party Deluxe!"

Details for a European release of "Tetris Party Deluxe" are forthcoming.

For more information on "Tetris Party," please visit http://www.tetrisparty.com.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Sooo.. There won't be a DSiware version? Hmm, fine. I missed out on Tetris DS (was going to get it along with Metroid Prime Hunters back in 2006, as these games were featured on this stand promoting Nintendo WiFi games _).

jangonov

jangonov said:

I think I might get the DS version. Shame I have the wiiware one if a disk with more stuff is coming out. But if it is dsiware, then consider it sold on day one

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Pretty crap since I've got Tetris Party on WiiWare. Couldn't they just update it or add it als DLC? Those new features doesn't justify a retail release in my opinion, but I would happily pay 100-500 Wii Points for it as DLC. I am curious how playing Tetris with the Wii Wheel would work though.

ReZon

ReZon said:

To the DSiWare commentors:

"Tetris(R) Party Deluxe" for both Wii(TM) and Nintendo DS(TM), set to hit retail shelves[b] in North America this June."

DSiWare is not mentioned.

AVahne

AVahne said:

i haven't gotten the first one, so i'll be sure to get this improved version

skywake

skywake said:

I'm not too pissed off that this is coming out when I have the original. I mean, I won 2400 points when they had the Tetris Party competitions so I really got it, Bit Trip Beat and Bit Trip Core for free. ;)

said:

Interesting. You can't be wrong with Tetris. Depending on the price I could get this instead of wiiware.

DigitalBohemian

DigitalBohemian said:

There should be a way for us to get a discount if we want to buy this, but already own the wiiware version. Perhaps our points back? I'd even settle for 1000 back of the 1500 it cost.
If not, that's messed up.

Adam

Adam said:

This is annoying. They should have just made the original with a DLC framework in place if they were considering a sequel. Oh well, one less customer won't stop the Tetris train.

mnementh

mnementh said:

this sux... i like the Tetris I have, and i don't want to have a smaller online community for this game. also, wii speak should be for the wiiware one.

MJongo

MJongo said:

Everyone realizes that it says RETAIL shelves, right? It doesn't look like this is for WiiWare/DSiWare.

cheesedude

cheesedude said:

Already have Tetris for the DS and on WiiWare so I can't see myself picking this up unless there are some unmissable features or modes.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Hmmm, a disc release with extra modes and Wii Speak support might be a winner. The ability to create our own shadows is pretty cool as shadow mode is my favourite part of Tetris Party. I was going to write this off, but the extra modes just might get a sale from me.

I too would prefer a DSiWare version to a cart for the DS, but maybe they'll get around to that soon...

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

I'm Tetris addict, but I hate when they force me to buy same game twice or more/generation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Varoennauraa I'm with you on this. Love Tetris, but I sure hope its not another $15. Can maybe it be if you bought the first game, the second one is half the price? I do like the sound of the sequel, create-a-shadow sounds awesome.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

It's in a box. It's not going to be "another $15", I'm guessing $30 on the Wii. No one will force you to buy it and the WiiWare version will continue to function after the retail release of this new version. Bonus!

It will sell like mad because most Wii owners still don't know what a WiiWare is, but sure know what a Tetris is. :)

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

When they release new Tetris, the already rare good players shift to that game, and I AM forced to follow. I may wait several days for good opponents :( and that is only going to worse.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Hmmmm. I'm not sure I'd buy a retail version for the wii or ds tbh. I have Tetris Party WiiWare and Tetris DS. That's enough for me really. However, if this deluxe ever came to dsiware and wiiware like GoNintendo (I think) suggested it might; I'd go for it.

Blue_Cat

Blue_Cat said:

I have the WiiWare version, so I won't get the wii version. Even though I love tetris, though, I don't know if I'll get the DS version. I know they're coming out with a DSiWare tetris soon (it's a different game then this, for the people who are confused), and I'm getting that for a portable tetris that I'll always have with me. If I get this depends on how strong the draw of the new features is.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Totally kickinest awesome!

Now to decide which version I'll get. Maybe both eventually, although I already have both Tetris DS, & Tetris Party.