Mega Man 10 Set for March 2010

Posted by Luke Westaway

New story details, screenshots and trailer released

Mega Man 10 has been confirmed for a WiiWare release in March of this coming year, and it's looking to be absolutely ace. We're able to divulge a few of the details on the game's story fresh from today's press release:

"The year is 20XX and a suspicious outbreak of Roboenza, a Robot Flu, has broken out. It spreads through the world like wildfire bringing down robots everywhere. Infected robots have rampaged out of control, destroying the city and holding it hostage! Who’s behind this mess? It’s up to Mega Man to take on this sinister threat and get to the bottom of this viral mystery."

We're dead excited about this game at Nintendo Life Towers. With its "NES-inspired old-school graphics" and retro appeal, Mega Man 10 is shaping up to be everything fans are hoping for – especially if the new screens and trailer are anything to go by.

Although the Mega Man series has traditionally been notoriously difficult, this new game will feature an 'easy mode'. At the end of the trailer you can see an implementation of this feature, as some deadly spikes present in the normal game are covered up with some decidedly less deadly floorboards.

Mega Man 10 will likely be a huge success, but where does the series go from here? In a global Capcom webcast, series producer Keiji Inafune has hinted he's going to be trying something different with the next game:

"I love the series and I'd love to make a game like that, but you have no idea how busy I am," Inafune said. "I'm glad the fans love the X series, but I think before I make a return to that series, I want to do something completely different with Mega Man."

Sounds pretty mysterious! What are your thoughts on the future of the series and Mega Man 10's new 'easy mode?' We say it sounds pretty mega, man!

[via kotaku.com, uk.wii.ign.com]

Kirk

Kirk said:

I wonder how easy easy mode is actually going to be :o

Could be a lot of fun to just be able to totally blast through a Mega Man game for once :)

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

I am a bit of a dullard regarding this one, what with Mega Man 9 nailing the 8-bit NES look, I was kinda hoping that with Mega Man 10 Capcom would take a souped up, 'Konami ReBirth' style, 16-bit approach to its visuals. That is predominantly because most of my retro nostalia harks back to 16-bit design. I understand that the roots of these titles are in the NES era, therefore this is still a retro treat from Capcom.

Knux

Knux said:

Awesomesauce, instant buy! What intrested me the most is that Capcom will do something different with Mega Man after MM10. I wonder if this means we will be getting a non 8-bit Classic Mega Man game after this? At least Mega Man X9 is possible! The Easy Mode is awesomesauce, but I might try hard mode first. :P Playing as Proto Man without DLC is awesome, and I'm glad he will be in the story. I still wonder if the third playable character is Bass? ;)
By the way guys, I found an English version of the trailer, so you guys might want to put this up instead.
Mega Man 10 English Trailer

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well, if there's an easy mode I may give it a shot. I can't say I've played a Mega Man game since the NES days and I found it so difficult back then I didn't see much attraction in it, so I've skipped Mega Man 9.

I love the 8-bit retro NES look, though I do hope we'll be seeing more 8-bit Atari-style games as well!

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I'll admit, I've never been all that great at Mega Man games either but I still love to play them. The inclusion of an easy mode means I might actually be able to beat a Mega Man game finally! Between these new Mega Man games, Contra, Gradius, Castlevania ReBirth, New Super Mario Bros Wii, A Boy and His Blob, etc, etc, this generation is a dream come true for us old school gamers. I'm lovin' it!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I'm glad they did not go with the 16-bit look. I want more 8-bit Mega Man! I wonder who could be behind that strange robot flu?

Noire

Noire said:

I can already tell this game is going to be amazing, as was Mega Man 9 before it...can not wait for this one. And yay for Proto being part of the story! I really hope that because of that, Capcom announces two-player for this...I guess we'll see.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Man are they cheating the NES pallette a little bit or something? I swear some of those visuals wouldn't have been possible on NES...pallette just looks too deep. It was 50-something colors, restricted to 4 per sprite i think....game looks amazing regardless--just feeling like they took too many liberties with the "nintendo standards" thing

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

it looks like only proto can charge his shot up but that makes no sense,n i just hope it wont be as over priced as megaman 9 at 10$

Digiki

Digiki said:

It's not overpriced, although for newbies to the series its obsolete, as two better Mega Man games can be had for the same price.

nintendogamerftw

nintendogamerftw said:

MUST HAVE MEGA MAN 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE MEGA MAN SERIES IS MY FAVORITE SERIES OF ALL TIME, followed by The Legend of Zelda and Final Fantasy, THIS IS A MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!....

vakama94

vakama94 said:

cant wait to try this out, i liked a lot megaman 9 and this having an easy mode just makes it more appealing

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Easy mode is fine for those that need it. If it tips the scales in favor for some less-than-stellar platforming gamers and means more sales, more power to it. I for one probably won't see much of what Easy Mode offers (or doesn't) though :)

Rensch

Rensch said:

If the difference between easy and hard is as small as it was in Mega Man 2, they might as well leave it out.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Just because there is easy mode, doesn't mean you have to use it. Resist my pupils, resist ;)

But this could be harder in general than MM9 just looking at bits in the trailer, so its inclusion could be justified...

Wardy

Wardy said:

Capcom could put out 30 more of these and I would buy every one of them. Twenty years later and I'm still not tired of the series. I personally won't use easy mode but if it gets people into the series I'm all for it. I take it most people didn't download the superhero mode for MM9.

Link79

Link79 said:

I beat hero and superhero mode. Wasn't really that difficult either. Of course I'm a mega man veteran so I'm used to it.

Makoto

Makoto said:

A mega man 10 and a mega man X? HAHA! Wait until the AVGN hears about this. :P

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

I'm gonna grab a 2000 points card, buy the game, and then all the DLC that comes out for it later. I'm not gonna fall for that again like I did with MM9.
I wonder where I'll put it though? I already have 1,2,3, and 9 in a 4 spot row, so I guess I'll have to move something out of the front screen.