Japan Gets 20 More Namco Arcade Games

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

As if the lack of Namco arcade game support in the west wasn't bad enough already.

There's still no sign of more Namco games for Virtual Console Arcade outside Japan - We're still stuck with their initial three releases. Meanwhile, Japan has gotten over 20 arcade releases from Namco alone (That's about 2/3 of all the arcade games available in Japan), including classics like Splatterhouse, Rolling Thunder, Galaga '88 and Solvalou.

Prepare to have some more salt rubbed in your wounds. Of the initial list of arcade games Namco announced for release on VC, only 5 remain - So they've decided it's time to fill the list up a little by announcing 20 more arcade games.

This time around there's quite a few games the west has never seen before, but there's also plenty of games in there which would be nice to see elsewhere. The full list is as follows:

• Baraduke
  • Quester
  • Rolling Thunder 2
  • Rompers
  • Tank Force
  • Toy Pop
  • Valkyrie no Densetsu

Which of these would you most like to play? Come on, Namco, release some more games outside Japan, please!

You can look over the full list of Namco arcade games available and coming soon for Japan on Namco's site here. You can also check out gameplay videos there by clicking on the links below the released games.

[via bandainamcogames.co.jp]

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Namco Obama does not care about the American people.

Anyway they can keep Galaxian. I never cared for that game. Anyway Japan bask in ourTecmo and Lucas Arts games.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

Come on, Namco, wtf? I've been a loyal Namco fan for years, especially their arcade titles. And this is someone from AMERICA speaking. What's the problem?

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

At least several of those are available on their many, many, many, many collections. I never knew that turd sandwich Baraduke got a sequel, though.

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

Galaxian would be nice.....but no games from the Pac-Man series? We only saw Pac-Mania so far....but then again, some of those are in the Namco Arcade classics as retail games.

Too bad Pole Position II isn't among the games on the list either.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

I'm still waiting for Splatterhouse or something better than we've gotten already (And that's not out on some compilation).

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Wow, after looking at their Japanese list / screenshots linked here, I'm quite envious; our VC arcade doesn't even begin to compare.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Are we surprised? DSiWare, WiiWare and VC are (at the rate we get games in NA and EU) years ahead of us!

Knux

Knux said:

Our VC Arcade service looks almost non-existent compared to the Japanese's. This is ridiculous.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

Whoooaa...! What a surprise announcement Namco made for VCA today. :)

According to Namco's site, these games will already come during 2009...! I don't really get it as there are only 18 Tuesdays left and 25 games to be released so Namco better have to speed up to 2 weekly releases instead of one as usual. Japan will then have at least 60 VCA titles in total at the end of the year while western regions... um, I'm sorry for those who made their investments into a wrong Wii region. Hehehehehe...! :P

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Oh joy! Some of my wildest dreams have been answered! I notice the Pac-Man games are absent, but I suspect that's only because they're going to feature in an uber collection for the 30th anniversary next year.

My instant buy list:

Baraduke (a.k.a. Alien Sector)
Baraduke 2 (a.k.a Bakutotsu Kijuutei)
Bosconian
Galaga
Grobda
Marchen Maze
New Rally X
Rolling Thunder 2 (The Mega Drive port is really good, but I'm a purist)
Rompers
Tank Force (superior sequel to Tank Battalion)
Toy Pop

I already have Dig Dug and Galaxian in Namco Museum Remix so I'm satisfied there. At last I'll be able to get shod of Namco Museum 50th Anniversary for the Gamecube -- though not before reviewing it here! I'm a bit disappointed Metro Cross and Warp & Warp aren't in there, but I guess Namco's got to save some stuff for the future!

Looks like they're releasing another title as well: Still shot says 1985, but I cannot find reference to a game with a kanji title like that in Namco's arcade lineup from 1985...

Kidpit

Kidpit said:

Curses! if only Namco had release these games on collector discs for various consoles or even build these games into arcade stick controllers that could plug into one's TV and be able to play these games without a console.

...Oh wait, They did :)

Pj1

Pj1 said:

20 games for VCA that's more than the availability on the European VC!! Still it's not bad news as it might mean that the future of VC is looking a tad safer. I'm interested to see Japan's forthcoming VC updates...

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Namco Obama has promised quality, affordable VC titles for everyone, but is rationing the amount we receive at one time.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

WHAT!!? How can Japan get twenty games in one update when North America has to suffer with one a week, with two straight weeks of nothing?

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Not one update - These will be gradually released during the rest of 2009.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

@23, Japan had a week of nothing last week. Not just VC but all around. No WiiWare or DSiWare either. And they've had a few weeks like that where nothing in any of those categories updated. We may have had a few No VC backs but at least we've never had a Nothing At All Week.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Come on Namco! If you'd release these games on the western VCs, then we would never need another Namco Museum ever again!

Also, Does anyone else think that Ms. Pac-Man should have been put in the US/EU/AU launch of the Virtual Console Arcade? That game would be on the top 20 VC sales listings!

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Now Namco, stop buying more toys and start sharing the ones you already bought to the other kiddies so that we can play too. :P

Spencer

Spencer said:

Ausome The Original Dig Dug is one of My Favorite Arcade Games hopefully it will come to NA Soon

Spencer

Spencer said:

My Namco Arcade Game Wish list
Mrs Pac Man
Pac Man
Pole Position 2
Splatterhouse
Galaga
Dig Dug

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

There are still a ton of Namco arcade games that aren't in either list; I expect they'll be able to publish just as many next year as they've already announced for this year if their intent is to get their entire 80s-90s catalogue out.

This would be a big reason to hold off on some other titles so that each release period features games of significance to maintain people's interest.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Nintendo Obama promised reform in the Wii Shop, but taking a closer look in his bill reveals that he is essentially forcing the 3rd parties (like Hudson or SNK) to release ONLY the games that Nintendo Obama wants as well as make illegal for consumers to purchase old consoles/games or even demand (even if not for the killionth time) that Donkey Kart Smash Bound Island be released!

Noire

Noire said:

I wanna see Valkyrie no Densetsu...Ever since SoulCalibur II (and that cutie Cassandra's third costume change) I've wanted to try it out. Not enough games starring valkyries out there, which is sad.

Ferret75

Ferret75 said:

Kind of funny how all these arcade games get announced as soon as I get a 360.

Ya, I got a 360 and I'm loving it. =D
But I like my Wii too.

Wii60 FTW.

carson

carson said:

Namco Obama wants Government Run VC Care.....what he doesnt realize is that we cant afford all those games.

I am also for Wii60

Ferret75

Ferret75 said:

Wii's Virtual Console and Wiiware, and 360's Live Arcade seem to go together well for me.

Virtual Console has the console-exclusive games, while Live Arcade has the best versions of the arcade games.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

@ 37. PhoenixSage

Legend of the Valkerie (Valkyrie no Densetsu's English name) is on the Namco Museum Volume 5 for Playstation