Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (10th Dec)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again which can only mean one thing. It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available in the Wii Shop. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that simple! Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can.

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Here is the list for the 10th of December:

16 (17) - Frat Party Games - Pong Toss
17 (16) - The Incredible Maze
18 (18) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
19 (20) - Boingz
20 (12) - Strong Bad Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3

N denotes a new entry

The "Big Three" are still hanging tight on the top three spots and they're showing no signs of letting go. It goes without saying that World of Goo, Tetris Party, and My Aquarium have already been three of the most successful WiiWare titles to date and their dominance seems to be continuing with no end in sight.

We've had another launch title casualty as LostWinds has finally slipped off the charts and it looks like the last of the Strong Bad titles is about ready to drop off as well.

Instead of its usual slow descent down the charts, Pong Toss has managed to climb a spot this week. Could this title be on its way back up the charts? We'll have to wait and see.

The biggest climber this week was Space Invaders Get Even, as it went from not even making the Top 20 last week, all the way up to #8. The biggest dropper this week was Strong Bad Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3, which fell 8 spots to #20.

While Space Invaders Get Even popped way up onto the charts this week, it's fellow release from last week Hudson's Pit Crew Panic still hasn't cracked the Top 20. Has Hudson lost its magic touch lately on the WiiWare service?

gameking23

gameking23 said:

Ya its here the top twenty I mean.
It is sad that Lost Winds is now gone. As for Hudson's recent release of Pit Crew. With this game it just might be to weird for some. It appears that their future releases will do good.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Pong Toss why can you just drop off the charts!!!
On the bright side TIM is dropping. Maybe in a week or two it will be gone then we can all rejoice.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Nnnooo not LostWinds! What a great game, it's held on so long as well.

Expect to see Hockey Allstar Shootout shoot to #1 next week! Joking aside I am surprised it didn't make the Canadian top 20 this week! :-p

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I guess a lot of people are getting drunk this time of year on the egg nog. Maybe that will explain the Pong Toss climb. :P

mojo25

mojo25 said:

Yay! My first post! .
Noo!! Lost Winds!! I heard that was a great game, but it's too bad that it dropped of the list...oh well.

Hey, I need some advice from all of you experienced Wiiware gamers...
I'm about to get a 2000 Wii points card soon and I was wondering what I should get. I'm pretty positive that I want World of Goo and want to save the last 500 points for the next good, cheap game.

If anyone wants to give me opinions, please tell me. Thanks! :)

shadows262

shadows262 said:

The top 5 should be:
(in my opinion)
1: World of Goo
2: Tetris Party
3: Mega man 9
4: Bomberman Blast
5: Defend Your Castle
and yet I still cant believe Dr. Mario RX is still up there. Its doing very very good!
@corbie
nice one lol!

shadows262

shadows262 said:

@mojo25
If I were you I`d prolly buy 2 1000 point games like Mega Man 9 or Toki Tori but if you buy WoG then you would wanna buy another Wii points card because there really is no good 500 point games (besides Defend Your Castle and My Aquarium). And if you buy Bomberman Blast tell me your friend code I`d loved to sometime haha.
And btw if you like puzzle games the wiiware service is surely for you! lol

mojo25

mojo25 said:

@shadows262
Thanks! lol, I have Toki Tori, Defend Your Castle, and My Aquarium already, and all are pretty great (except for Defend Your Castle in my opinion because I got bored after a few plays)

And, I do have Bomberman Blast! I would love to face you because I haven't played anyone in a while because I got Animal Crossing and I'm really addicted to it...lol. I'll tell you my FC as soon as I can, so stay on this forum. :D

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

This week in Swedish chartiness brings you some seriously erratic chart movements. Yes, I know that erratic chart behavior is hardly anything new when it comes to Sweden but the week takes the cake.

Here's the Swedish top 20:
(19) 15 - SPOGS Racing
(-) 16 - Art Style: Rotohex
(20) 17 - Cocoto Fishing Master
(17) 18 - Helix
(14) 19 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A King
(15) 20 - Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam

This week in "wall of text":

• Mega Man 9 is still number 1. Shocker...
  • Tetris Party bounces back after last week's slide and jumps 3 spots into silver.
  • LostWinds, which looked like it was seriously heading down the drain, apparently revitalized itself for some unknown reason and jumped a huge 10 spots. It's obviously the climber of the week.
  • Brain Challenge is falling faster than expected and is now down to 11th after a 4 spot drop this week. I still think it's gonna hang around the charts for weeks to come. It has casual bait written all over it.
  • A title it shares with this game. I do believe Brain Challenge will follow closely in the footsteps of TV Show King which decided to climb back up 4 spots just because.
  • In 13th we have our first new entry. This week, Strong Bad managed to beat its companion Art Style game and actually its first week performance is better than ep. 3 aswell but more on that game later. Strong Bad Episode 4: Dangeresque 3 however enters at 13th.
  • SPOGS Racing is in 15th this week. That's up 4 places from last week. Being alone in the racing genre is good for business it seems. I think we need some competition here, you hear that High Voltage?
  • The second new entry of the week is Art Style: Rotohex. While it performed much worse than its companion game, atleast it charted here. It's in 16th this week.
  • Cocoto Fishing Master was on its way out in a serious way in the last two weeks. Both weeks it charted in 20th. But now, when faced with 4 new releases, it bounced back into 17th. Huh?!
  • Despite being a release week, the biggest chart drop(s) was actually half as big as the biggest chart climb. The biggest drop honor was shared by Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: MLAAK and Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam, ending up in 19th and 20th respectively.
    Seeing as two games entered this week, two games had to leave. The first of these games were Midnight Bowling which dropped from a 11th and out and therefore technically dropping further than the biggest charting droppers. A minimum of 10 spots. Even in a post Alien Crush Returns world would that's a pretty impressive drop, right? Sure it has to be the biggest? Wrong! Two weeks ago Strong Bad Episode 3 entered the charts in 15th. The next week it climbed to 9th. Sure that was an indication it would hang around for a while. But no, it dropped from 9th and all the way out of the charts. Things are indeed looking grim for the (not so) Strong Bad series.
  • Neither Bang nor Pit Crew Panic is anywhere to be seen. I expected Bang not to chart, but why a game featuring cute little girls that fixes a gigantic toilet can't find an audience is beyond me.

Next week I expect more erratic behavior and no new games. Boooring. If I can't have Gradius soon I'm gonna be seriously cranky...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

i wonder if we'll see the charts change after christmas when more people get their new wii consoles. maybe good ol' Toki Tori could make a return?

Virus

Virus said:

Gah, the sadness finally gets to me...LostWinds...I didn't think it was stellar, but it was my first WiiWare game. Oh, the memories... sniff

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Wow I am also shocked P.C.Panic did not crack the top 20. But I bet next week it will be there for sure

Draygone

Draygone said:

Apparently people don't care that you're paying for a retail release in multiple installments with Space Invaders Get Even.

And I expected Dangeresque 3 to do better than this. The fans have been waiting for it to happen since Strong Bad mentioned it years ago. But I guess that's what the problem is. Fan service doesn't work too well when most of the userbase isn't comprised of fans.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

There may the possibility of more of the Strong Bad sales going to the PC version but its anybodys guess maybe I dont know.
Is there sales reports of that version?

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

@Bass X0
Toki Tori actually returned to the charts for a few days there during the weekend (aswell as My Pokémon Ranch for a short spell) here in Sweden but was eventually bumped off. Sure, this actual charting is probably only possible due to the limited size of the Swedish market, but it does indicate that Toki Tori might have some serious legs after all. And atleast in Sweden I think there's a good chance we'll see it again.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I found Animal Crossing: City Folk one big fat disappointment. It looks and plays almost exactly like the previous titles. You can't tell me in the overly lengthy development cycle and with the power of the Wii that more couldn't have been done. I gave it a 7 on NintendoLife, but if I were looking at it from just my perspective I would have given it a 4.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I can't hate Animal Crossing. The game just has to much charm :)

By the way, can I give a shout out to Alien Crush Returns? It should be on the top 20

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

Top 20 WiiWare games in Japan as of December 10th 2008:

1 (1) - Minna no Pokemon Bokujou: Platina Taiouban
2 (3) - Kurohige Kiki Ippatsu Wii
3 (2) - Wi-Fi 8 Hito Battle Bomberman
4 (8) - Overturn
5 (5) - Rockman 9: Yabou no Fukkatsu!!
6 (4) - Tataite! Mogupon
15 (n) - Yomi Kiku Asobi Wii
16 (16) - Yakuman Wii: Ide Yosuke no Kenkou Mahjong
17 (13) - Darts Wii
18 (15) - Okiraku Ping Pong Wii
19 (19) - Dr. Mario & Saikin Bokumetsu
20 (14) - @Simple Series vol. 1: The Block Kuzushi neo

I think it is amazing that five of the nine launch titles from March (Pokémon Ranch, FFCC, Mojipittan Wii, Family Table Tennis and Dr. Mario) still do well in the Japanese top 20 list! :-)

Objection

Objection said:

It grieves me so much to see LostWinds fall off. Alas, we barely knew ya, but you did very well. It's almost as sad as the lack of news on its sequel...hint hint wink wink nudge nudge

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

A minute of silence for our beloved LostWinds...
Ok enough.
I can't believe Pong Toss climbed up again, are we ever gonna get rid of it? Oh and Go The Incredible Maze! don't let PT beat you. :P

I really hate AC, no offence intended to the ones who like the franchise; the GC version made me waste many hours of my life doing stupid things that weren't even fun, like waking up early or writing letters to nonexisting friends, never again, I have a real life to live.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

I can't believe Mega Man 9 is dropping, and yet this soccer mom crap continues to do well.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

Sorry I didn't post the UK charts sooner - I was out last night. I'll post them up this evening :)

vherub

vherub said:

Lost Winds should have a pricedrop or limited time sale. Get some more people to play it and build up more sequel support.

Rocky

Rocky said:

I am once again addicted to AC. I actually find the new AC more like the GCN AC and less like AC:WW. I have been addicted to all three of these versions of AC. No predictions on how long I'll be addicted to this one. The only WW game that has been able to pull me away from AC is ACR. Love that game!!

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

UK Charts:
1) I'm not telling. Have a guess. Go on.
2) Tetris Party
11) My Pokemon Ranch
12) NEW Pit Crew Panic!
13) Wild West Guns
14) LostWinds
15) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles My Life As A King
16) NEW Art Style: ROTOHEX
17) NEW Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People - Episode 4 - Dangeresque 3 - The Criminal Projective
18) Cocoto Fishing master
19) Mega Man 9
20) NEW Bang!

Pretty disappointing for this weeks new entries, and it appears that people are getting tired of Strong Bad as well, whilst TV Show King somehow rises up to number three (no, I don't know how, either - just get the retail version off Play.com people!).

Oh and one more thing: SUCK ON THAT, BANG!

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

I liked Animal Crossing: CF, but that might be because I never played WW and haven't played the original in years. :P My sister loves it.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I thought Lost Winds did pretty well for itself being one of the first Wii ware titles.

deadbattery

deadbattery said:

I also like Animal Crossing: CF. I played the Gamecube original to death, and I also played WW, but unfortunately, I got bored with it and sold it. So I guess CF is my replacement, because I don't think I should have gotten rid of WW. Oh well.

As for the chart: YAY, My Pokemon Mistake fell another spot! That makes me feel all giddy. Too bad Target Toss, Midnight Bowling and Pong Toss didn't fall as well.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

It is sad to see Rotohex do so badly (ocmpared to Cubello) in Europe. I hope this isn't a trend as I don't want to see Orbiant do badly :( as for number 1. Maybe people who buy the Wii Browser don't want to spend 500 points on a game but have 500 points left...

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Starfox_UK: maybe it's because it doesn't exactly look as enticing as Cubello did, which is what many people will look at when deciding whether or not to purchase a game.

Roihu

Roihu said:

Bomberman Blast stays in the middle for all of them.
It's like, so hidden.
Also, isn't Bomberman Blast a stand-alone game in Japan?
Or does it also have a WiiWare version for them?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

[i]Also, isn't Bomberman Blast a stand-alone game in Japan?
Or does it also have a WiiWare version for them?[/i]
Thats right, in Japan you can buy just the mutiplayer title on WiiWare or you can buy a retail that also has a single player campagin (it is another one of those crappy 3D single player modes but now with waggle :( ). Both games can play each other in multiplayer.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Starwolf_UK: Try keeping the quote all on one line if you want it in italics, and also try using _ instead of [i]. The same thing works for making things bold with an asterix * on either side of the text instead of [b].
Any others, WWW?