Japanese Virtual Console list - October 2008

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Next month's Japanese VC list isn't a pretty sight - You can easily see that even in Japan, the amount of released games is quickly decreasing. Only 9 games will be released in the entire month! There are some gems in the lot, but it's still pretty disappointing to see.

Their full list of upcoming games for October is as follows:

Famicom:

Super Famicom:

Sega Master System:

PC Engine:

• Super Darius (CD)
  • Ghouls 'n Ghosts (SuperGrafx, this is just a port of the arcade/Mega Drive game)
  • The New Zealand Story

Neo Geo:

You read correctly - The N64, Mega Drive and MSX get no new games next month.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

Yay, Metal Slug 2 and first comment. ^^
Oh and while Daimakaimura on the PCE is basically the same game as on the MD, it's the better version.
And I'm glad to finally see some Darius love. I keep my fingers crossed for Darius Alpha.

timp29

timp29 said:

Wow. I really feel for the japanese. Thats a cop out month on the VC. Hopefully WiiWare makes up for it :P

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

It would be great if New Zealand Story and Liquid Kids from last month made it over to the West soon. C'mon Hudson, we want more import PC Engine games again! :-p

slangman

slangman said:

Would be great if the Darius games came over here. The only exciting games for them is DKC 3 and Metal Slug 2 but to be fair I feel they have been getting way to many great games for the past 6 months which is unfair to the US and PAL VC since we only get about 2 games on average every month. Wounder what New Zealand story is like?

Jogurt_the_Yogurt

Jogurt_the_Yogurt said:

You know what this means? We get to spend October-November catching up on the awesome games they already have in Japan. Phantasy Star IV, Shining Force II, Secret of Mana.

Dare I presume to beg for Warsong?

Ark

Ark said:

Kind of sad to see only 9 games released in Japan this month...But then I guess WiiWare helps make up for it a little bit, right?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

@Jogurt. I'll hold you to that :P

9 games is low for Japan but probably the same number America and Europe will see :(

As for Megadrive games...what games does SEGA have left to publish*...and there are few third parties releasing games on SEGAs system so crunch time like this inevitable...
*-Sonic & Knuckles is about the only title that springs to mind.

As for the N64. Few games and the emulator that needs the most work (PC emulation and Nintendos emulation are the same in the sense the emulator is tweeked toward the specific game is it emulating) mean slow releases :(

Lugia2

Lugia2 said:

looks like we're playing catch-up next month- though a lot of the games on the JVC we'll never get, so we'll see what happens...

Virus

Virus said:

I'm hoping we get last month's releases from Japan. That would take care of our N64 game and give us Secret of Mana. What a dream, right?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Wow, not much to get too excited about there. I wouldn't feel too bad for Japan, though, as I'm sure they'll be back to their usually kick butt monthly line ups in no time. I do remember hearing somewhere that, in Japan, summer time is a lot like our winter time when it comes to selling software, so maybe that's why it's slowing down a bit in the land of the rising sun and getting better over here.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Crooked cucumbers, no more N64? Well, there is hope for Europe and US/PR!

But still, Jogurt-san, Lugia2-san and Virus-san, I actually like the idea of US/PR/Europe getting games Japan had. Not only the Virtual Console market will be more equitable, but we may also get really good games that made you cry because the US/PR/Europe did not get them!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Oh, and Mr. Angelic Lapras King, I also hope for SegaCD and 32X games in Virtual Console. (We have yet to get Knuckles Chaotix!) But still, this comes from the same person who wants arcade games (Think SegaSonic Arcade, one of the few games in which Ray the Squirrel appeared.) and Dreamcast games to be released in Virtual Console.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

No Sega Genesis games. I am burning with anger!

Hey at least we are getting closer to Metal Slug 3 ( my personal favorite of the series)

Anyone notice it much easier to say Nintendo World cup than what the Japanese have to say.
Man that's a long title

@ Starwolf- there is a lot more games Sega can put out. Alot more! For example, none of the Outrun series has come out yet. And thats also not including Konami's Sega Genesis titles

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

One of the few times when Japan's wii-kly update DOESN'T make me completely jealous. Though New Zealand Story and MS 2 sound nice.

PRP

PRP said:

Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the TG16 is a Supergrafx game (not CD). I really wish that game to come in EU & US as well, since is much better than the Genesis one... Let's hope for a release in some of the next Hanabi Festival

deggs

deggs said:

i also wouldn't mind gettin some darius games. i love darius gaiden (i got it in the taito legends pack for ps2). i can't wait to play the series from the beginning (super darius being darius 1 of course). also, i'm hoping for sagaia or whatever it's called on the genesis instead of super darius 2 just cuz that cheese over-the-top guitar driven soundtrack (a-la-lords of thunder) = super lame...

lockelocke

lockelocke said:

I don't care if it's the TG import of the NES version that WAS released in the US under the name "Kiwi Craze," but I NEEEEEEED the New Zealand Story. Easily one of the best 8-bit era platformers.

Loooca

Loooca said:

My only memory of the The New Zealand Story is me playing it in the arcade, and those were fond memories. I loved to play nothing but it in the arcade. An amazing platformer. In other words: PLEASE BRING IT OUT HERE.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

New Zealand Story is one of my all time favorite games. I had it first on Spectrum and then the Amiga. Love t on the DS, I think ill pick up the PCE version, too.

Objection

Objection said:

Yes, the number of games in Japan is drying up but half the games they are getting are still and/or recognizable! SInce both Europe and America are hundreds of games behind Japan on VC, it should be a while before the same occurs to us. (I realize that even by the end we won't get all of the ones they do.)

Edwin

Edwin said:

Does anyone know how many WiiWare games have been downloaded compared to VC games? I'd be willing to bet that VC downloads are handily beating WiiWare, and not just because WiiWare hasn't been around as long. It seems that Nintendo is (foolishly, in my opinion) putting VC on the back-burner and trying to push WiiWare. Perhaps if I am right about the numbers, Nintendo will, in time, realize that people want more VC games and will reverse the policy of slowing VC releases which they've had since the beginning of 2008.

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

Nintendo World Cup!!! :D One of my favorite fütbol games ever!!! Can't wait for it to cross the [other] pond.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Super Darius and Metal Slug 2 look cool, everything else we already have or I just don't care about.

classicmike

classicmike said:

Nothing much for me. I already have Metal Slug 2 and Donkey Kong 3. What I might get is Enduro Racer and Nintendo World Cup. This looks bad considering how well August and September have been for the VC and Wii Ware. But I'm sure it won't bad that bad of a month.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Actually that New Zealand Story looks pretty cool, looking at the cover art. Hope it sees release outside Japan.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

I might download Metal Slug 2 (depending on Wii block size) along with Gradius Rebirth next moth. :)

timp29

timp29 said:

Nintendo could be slowing things down in a plan to be able to release heaps of quality VC titles over the christmas holiday period. This would make sense, they would wan't all the kids to be saying to mum and dad "I want a wii points card!"

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

I notice that JP VC releases are slowing down abit, last month on August 12 they didn't get any VC releases at all, but Japan will have close to 400 games soon, that's a milestone if you ask me...

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

If you go onto the Nintendo channel you can use the stats provided there to get some sales figures...

They won't be accurate due to less than 100% of the downloaders logging into the Nintendo channel to record the stats and with WiiWare the size it is the Nintendo channel is in prime position to go to make room in the fridge...

Here is a look at things pretty early on (I think mid-June):
Note that is only 11% of the real total...(which inculdes other regions and other games).

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

The SuperGrafx version of Ghouls & Ghosts is outstanding and easily the best home version of the game. I even bought a SuperGrafx system just to play it. :)

Adam

Adam said:

This can only mean a great month for WiiWare, hopefully, and with so many good games (Tetris, Bomberman, S&S, Goo) waiting to be released on the service, I can't say I mind terribly. Still hoping for at least one big release before the end of the year... Earthbound, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, anything.

RurouniTeeter

RurouniTeeter said:

Nothing too exciting I think. Maybe that's just me.
They are just now getting DKC3? Dang.
Or am I missing something here?

firebrand

firebrand said:

Sorry. From what I've read, I don't think that the Super Grafx version of Ghouls & Ghosts is that much better than the Genesis port. And it's certainly not worth the import fee that we'll have to pay.

evilralfwiggum

evilralfwiggum said:

I would like New Zealand Story please. lol..I just played the arcade version on Taito Legends...then I traded Taito Legends on Goozex. Now I have no New Zealand Story ;/ xD VC Release would be a tempting download for me..I'll just cross my fingers for the rest of the year and on into next year xD