EU VC Releases - 25th April - The Last Ninja

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

It seems every two weeks we get a Commodore 64 week now - No complaints from us, especially when it means that we get The Last Ninja, an excellent action platformer/puzzler hybrid featuring an agile ninja with a whole assortment of weaponry. The game was incredibly well-received in its day, being the number one selling original creation on the Commodore 64.

Accompanying it is World Games. In a fashion similar to California Games, it features a number of sports, only this time, from around the world instead of California. The game is not too special, but can present some good fun. That's two games in the "Games" series down, three to go!

Rounding up the pack is Double Dragon, the NES port of the popular arcade beat 'em up. This port removes the simultaneous two player co-op mode, but is otherwise a pretty faithful adaption of the original game. At 500 points it's a steal, really!

No bad games this week! Will you get any?

Related Games

Jay1

Jay1 said:

Three in the "Games" series to go - Summer Games, Summer Games II, Winter Games. Five if you include The Games: Summer Edition and The Games: Winter Edition.

maka

maka said:

:( Oh, I'm disappointed we didn't get Nebulus, as it was recently rated... maybe in two weeks...

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

Gosh, theyre really pumping out the Commodore games faster then the Master System games.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

having a commodore week every two weeks is not that great due to the fact that it still hasnt come to New Zealand. So all wee get is the one NES game, woh is me.

Andrew

Andrew said:

this is where i usually beg nintendo for majora's mask, but i'm too busy playing through okami.

v404

v404 said:

A solid week for the EU. The Last Ninja is a classic!!

So is NA going to get C64 or what?!

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

At the rate us Australians will have a lot of catching up to do when we get the commodore 64 here in australia .

I thout there were 5 games in the games Calofornia world winter summer 1&2 .
btw I thougt Australia gets its release tomorrow because todays is anzac day

Edwin

Edwin said:

@VC-Reviews editors: Has there been any indication that the C64 will come to NA? And if not, do you think it will come here regardless?

Link79

Link79 said:

Good question. why the hell isn't the commodore 64 on the U.S. VC? It sold well in the states before so why are we getting left out now?

ChocoDK

ChocoDK said:

Well Europe got a nice solid week with three games. Its nice to see Nintendo is including Europe again.

wii-c-kid

wii-c-kid said:

Not a bad week, but nothing really to warrant spending 500 points. Last Ninja is definitely the pick of the week but I think I'll hold on until Nebulus arrives.

dark_moogle

dark_moogle said:

Again with the bitch slapping of Australian gamers. This is beginning to get old Nintendo...

Viral

Viral said:

Poor Australians.... I still think that Nintendo is improving in Europe finally... I'm glad I no longer live in the U.S. though due to other reasons than the VC. lol.... I think next week we'll see a racing game on the Virtual Console, just a psychic prediction...

timp29

timp29 said:

OMFG get this to australia now!!! I will download it immediately if C64 comes to aus. This was my first ever epic game and it has so much sentimental value to me... I'm just worried this old pixelated game will look pretty dud on my 40" lcd LOL

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Edwin - I haven't heard if C64 games will be coming to USA or Australia yet. As soon as we hear anything we'll let you know! :p

Splutter

Splutter said:

Last Ninja is tempting, I remember the second one, be ineresting to see how these 64 games hold up today, especially since I was a Specy man :-)

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I have a sneaky suspicion that Nintendo is trying to send games where they were NOT originally popular in hopes that folks will buy into titles they never had an opportunity to play. That's why NA gets the Master System while EU gets the Commodore 64. (An exact reversal of their original popularity.)

Or course, what everyone really wants are the Japanese titles. (SMB2? Yay! Sin and Punishment? Yay! DoReMi Fantasy? Yay!) Hopefully, Nintendo isn't getting confused by this.

djshep1973

djshep1973 said:

Though I'm still holding a torch for a European release of Axelay, I have to say I'm being blown away by all this C64 stuff! I'll be downloading Last Ninja for sure...

It'd be really great if Aus/NZ and North America got these games as well though, so here's hoping for you guys!

:-)

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

thewiirocks I'm not sure about your popularity theory. The C64 was huge in Europe, particularly the UK, Italy and Germany. At least half of the C64 games released so far for the VC were originally released by European publishers, for example.

PlayerOne

PlayerOne said:

The C64 was very popular in Europe, thewiirocks. More so than the Master System, I'd say. Particularly in Germany, I believe, which also happens to be where NOE are based (I think), and it is down to them that we have the C64.

I think everything released for the Commodore so far was also on the DTV, but some of them were only on the PAL version.

I already have two of the DTVs, but I might just get myself a VC version just to show some support.

Splutter

Splutter said:

"That's why NA gets the Master System while EU gets the Commodore 64"

Europe has the master system on VC as well

Bananiac

Bananiac said:

Honestly I don't understand why Nintendo makes such differences with the distribution of these games between the regions! This somehow sucks big time.
I am just glad that they put the C64 on the VC. That Breadcase was THE thing to have here in Germany in those days. I remember EVERYBODY at may school had one of it at home... at least the boys, anyway :)
Just hope that they start putting up some of the games that have not been on the DTV yet. The real gems are still missing ...

Jon2

Jon2 said:

A three game week and The Last Ninja is included! This is great news! Refill those Wii-points and press play on tape!

RoninDennis

RoninDennis said:

I am SEVERELY tempted by Double Dragon, but I just might hold on to my WP a bit longer... at least it means that Double Dragon II is going to see the light of Wii sometime soon. Good to see the releases are getting back up to speed!

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

PlayerOne and Bananiac, I might be wrong, but I think that Last Ninja is the first C64 game on VC that isn't also on the DTV.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

YEEEES!!! Last Ninja! One of my first-hand picks for C-64!

Kelvin: I just bought the PAL version of C64 direct to TV, and it doesn´t have International Karate either.

slangman

slangman said:

Not a bad week. Two decent C64 games and one decent NES game? Count Me In. Was hoping for Samrai Shodown on the NEO GEO though.

witchfinder

witchfinder said:

YES! My prayers have been answered - World Games! :D No more crippling multiload on my C64 tape player...

Last Ninja is a good one too. I'm pretty sure that didn't appear on the C64 DTV (nor did WG in its entirety) so it looks like they are licensing more than just the games that appeared on that. Great news! System 3 are clearly on-board so Myth may be on it's way too...

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Just a word of warning to all, the controls on the Last Ninja are very awkward and will take a while to get used to. Kelvin thought that they might be poor on a Wiimote and they are.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

That Guy from Faxanadu I believe IK is on the DTV under another name... World Karate Champion perhaps?

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

I'm getting more and more convinced that we won't see C64 support here in NA. Personally I don't think we really need it as the C64 was never that popular here, not to mention I don't think we even got a fraction of the releases that Europe got for the system. Maybe it's Nintendo's way of saying "we know we screw you guys too often, so heres a little exclusive gift."

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Nintendo's probably seeing how C64 games fair in Euroland before unleashing them elsewhere.

Who knows, maybe America will get the MSX soon after Japan?

eltomo

eltomo said:

Wow, i'm not gonna have any money left if these games keep coming out! I've brought a game everytime a C64 game is out, and I remember Last Ninja like I played it yesterday!

and Double Dragon... Love it =D

Will

Will said:

Iv always had a soft spot for ninja games. what do you mean you can tell?

MrPoo6321

MrPoo6321 said:

I hope we never get the C64, but that's just me. On monday, I know we're for sure getting Double Dragon on the NES, but who knows about the other one... I'm hoping they finally let us have Vectorman... but I hope that every week and then I get disappointed and cry and cut my arms with a razorblade in the bathroom to ease the pain.

Tides_of_Chaos

Tides_of_Chaos said:

Australia has no reason to complain about no C64 games, only America. Why? Well, can't you guys just change your system to being from any European country and then you can get Europe-exclusive games? I remember you guys talking about it when the TurboGraphx was not in Australia.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Kelvin: No Karate game at all on my stick =) There´s 30 games but there may be differences between the versions we have. I´ve heared the PAL version differs from the NTSC version in some way at least. Lovely little toy anyway. I´m off to download Last Ninja now!

Bananiac

Bananiac said:

Regarding that dtv thing: I just double checked and there seem to be a few games out already that haven't been related to it. According to my list (which is PAL based) there was no IK, Last Ninja or World Games on the dtv, so I think it save to say that there is good hope for the C64 repertoire!

DEMON212

DEMON212 said:

Tides, it wipes your points now and you need to have a Brit credit card. I don't know to many Aussies with Brit credit cards.

Abodi

Abodi said:

every time you swap from one region to another it wipes your points, and we all know how hard it can be to use up those remaining wii points. You don't need a brit credit card to buy points, but buy using an aussie card on the brit store, you do get charged extra, i think at one stage it was charging me 18$ instead of 15$

so yeah tides, while it is an option, it is really not a viable one.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

This is interesting... if Australians can swap to Europe-mode, the opposite should be possible as well! How do i switch regions on the Wii?

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

Wait, I'm confused... does it have co-op or not? It says in the description of the game:

"Double Dragon features 2 player co-op and offers a deep combat system based on punches, kicks and many weapons and interactive items."

I'm more inclined to believe vc-reviews, as Nintendo often messes up descriptions, but... that's a pretty big blunder if they promise two player co-op.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

You're right, there must be regional differences on the DTV. Wikipedia claims IK is on it, but apparently not in Europe.

RoninDennis

RoninDennis said:

@ MArio Maniac: It has a 2P versus mode a la Street Fighter, but in my opinion that's complete rubbish. It doesn't have 2P mode in the actual game itself.