Forums

Topic: Wii U is safe from the NX!? Seems to be true

Posts 101 to 120 of 582

Sean_Aaron

skywake wrote:

People have argued that Nintendo should drop out of the home console business because of the Wii U. I'm saying that they should wait it out and use this time to push harder in the portable space. You're arguing they should double down on the home console space because.......

Yeah the Sega Dreamcast and Atari 7800 say hello. Putting out a console and saying "we didn't really mean that" isn't a great strategy even if your replacement for the failure (Saturn, 5200 in my examples) is clearly superior, because the very fact of the failure automatically means you have to claw back share and if in the process of a new launch you alienate the people who actually stayed on for your failed project, well that's a pretty big gamble.

The high attach rate for Nintendo on the Wii U cannot be ignored because that's where the system is making its money. It doesn't matter if less people own the machine than the Wii if a higher percentage of those owners are buying Nintendo's software more consistently. Likewise if software sales on the 3DS drop off a cliff in the face of a new portable they'd be fools to keep developing for that platform regardless of the install base. Seems pretty obvious to me.

And kudos for maintaining your grace under the pressure of some often rude posts from Haru17. I think it's possible to have an online discussion about bloody game consoles without resorting to petty insults!

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Haru17

skywake wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

skywake wrote:

You however come from the perspective of someone who doesn't own a Wii U. Someone who would actually like them to replace it early so that Zelda could look as good as it does on their PS4.

Understand this much, Zelda will be the EXACT SAME game on 'NX' and Wii U, should that come to pass (gamepad-specific features nonwithstanding.) At most the frame rate, draw distance, and loading times might slightly differ.

So why are you so convinced that the NX will replace the Wii U? The only point of new hardware is to open up new options, to allow the games to look better. If the spec is only going to be trivially improved to the point where even Zelda will be basically the same? What's the point? You're stuck on this theory but you haven't yet explained how it'd be better than what we already have.

Because Nintendo isn't a multiplatform dev. The only near simultaneous release they've done, to my knowledge, is Twilight Princess. A game which ran the exact same on gamecube and Wii. I don't expect the NX to be a huge jump in power either. The point of launching a new console is a fresh start; to roll the dice again and hope to sell a lot. Nintendo doesn't care about bleeding edge specs, but they do care about sales.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

I don't expect the NX to be a huge jump in power either. The point of launching a new console is a fresh start; to roll the dice again and hope to sell a lot. Nintendo doesn't care about bleeding edge specs, but they do care about sales.

If the only reason you have for retiring the Wii U early is software and sales then you don't have a reason. It'd be a lot of effort for nothing. You're not saying they should start fresh here, you're saying they should lock out Wii U owners from new games for a re-branding. If they're going to take a gamble in a now even tougher market they need a different hand. They can't run a business on hope, they need to have something to offer with a new product.

The reason I keep saying that a portable first would make more sense is because they could do a lot more with it. Even if they were fairly conservative with the spec, as Nintendo are, they could easily take their portable into a "new generation" spec. Especially if they pair it with standard def screens. We'd effectively be jumping from Gamecube to PS3 but with Nintendo's IP to back it. It doesn't need a gimmick (although I guess they'll have one) because the idea sells itself.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Reznor52

TwilightAngel wrote:

The Wiiu wasn't safe to begin with.

The entire video game industry isn't safe. It's become much more expensive to product AA or AAA titles and the risk is as high as it's ever been. With mobile gaming, touch devices, Emulators,laptops, dedicated handheld devices, PC gaming along with steambox devices, consoles, virtual headsets on the horizon. There's more competition and competitors than ever before. The landscape is drastically changing. We've seen a multitude of developers that once made AA or AAA games for consoles either go under, allow the few juggernaut companies to buy them out or adapt and start developing more cost effective games( indie games). Or in Konami's case, move to the mobile market.... Nintendo is no expectation but collectively the console industry is not doing as well in times past.
We've already seen a trend of fewer big titles (per month/year) coming out for all console devices and of the ones coming out, are already established franchises. Fewer new/fresh concepts.
All I'm trying to get at is Nintendo regardless would be facing a difficult road as any company. It's just unfortunate that the wii u has struggled as bad as it has because its honestly a great console imo. I personally think they should just ride the wii u out (xbox one has only sold a couple more million units) and take the necessary time to adapt to this rather large transition thats happening within the gaming industry and release a console(NX) thats further in-tuned with these changes. Something the ps5 or xboxtwo would model themselves after.

Edited on by Reznor52

Reznor52

Reznor52

I was crossing my fingers for a E3 loaded with wii u games that we didn't already now about. Ironically I had multiple discussions with my friends about how this E3 would dictate the wii us future but in a optimistic belief. I truly believed we'd seen a new metriod, full scale 3D Mario adventure game, paper Mario, a traditional animal crossing, F Zero or and a pokemon game aka pokken tournament. Now of the above happened and it's clear the NX will replace the wii u. I defended nintendo with love but I can't help but feel burned. This whole post I created was all for nothing.....

Reznor52

arojilla

Reznor52 wrote:

I was crossing my fingers for a E3 loaded with wii u games that we didn't already now about. Ironically I had multiple discussions with my friends about how this E3 would dictate the wii us future but in a optimistic belief. I truly believed we'd seen a new metriod, full scale 3D Mario adventure game, paper Mario, a traditional animal crossing, F Zero or and a pokemon game aka pokken tournament. Now of the above happened and it's clear the NX will replace the wii u. I defended nintendo with love but I can't help but feel burned. This whole post I created was all for nothing.....

So... basically you live in your own fantasy world and blame Nintendo for it not turning real?

arojilla

Reznor52

arojilla wrote:

Reznor52 wrote:

So... basically you live in your own fantasy world and blame Nintendo for it not turning real?

No I blame myself for trusting Nintendo and buying the wii u over the ps4. I happily own the gamecube and N64 still but I'm trading my wii u everything in tomorrow for a ps4. Love Nintendo but I'm not sticking around when Nintendo is clearly not in regards to the wii u. That is not fantasy that is economics. I understand that clearly and I'm responding accordingly.

Reznor52

BattleEnder

Reznor52 wrote:

arojilla wrote:

Reznor52 wrote:

No I blame myself for trusting Nintendo and buying the wii u over the ps4. I happily own the gamecube and N64 still but I'm trading my wii u everything in tomorrow for a ps4. Love Nintendo but I'm not sticking around when Nintendo is clearly not in regards to the wii u. That is not fantasy that is economics. I understand that clearly and I'm responding accordingly.

I totally agree. I bought the Wii U out of loyalty to Nintendo, because I loved and still love the GameCube. The price was good and the initial games looked fantastic. After it's release, Nintendo hasn't lived up to 1/2 of it's promises. Nintendo TV wasn't ready when they promised, all of their games get release delays, not in weeks, but in months and YEARS. Nintendo TV now is still not great, they promised compatibility with the Tivo DVR which never happened, and I have yet to play a game on the Wii U I loved as much as those on the GameCube.

Nintendo has consistently made asinine choices along the entire lifespan of the Wii U. I'm done with buying consoles at launch, I'll wait to see how they develop. I'll get a better deal anyway. Frankly, the entire experience with the Wii U has effectively ruined my for console gaming. Every Nintendo console/handheld I have owned that was made after the GameCube broke down within 3 years because of the cheap parts they're made out of. I doubt I'll buy this NX unless it has an exceptional library of games and is clearly superior to the competition.

Is the NX a threat to the Wii U? I don't think it matters, because the Wii U's worst enemy is Nintendo itself. They took a perfectly good console and ruined it's library with a series of easily avoidable stupid decisions.

If Nintendo says NX will not compete with Wii U, odds are good that they are essentially lying because they will release the NX and retire the Wii U at the same time.

Short of the "revolutionary" innovations Nintendo used to be famed for and now continually fails to live up to, I'm done with Nintendo when they retire the Wii U. If they are pursuing Andriod compatibility and open sourcing, then that gives me some hope, but if they screw up again, their days of making consoles are over.

BattleEnder

jasonbrr

Reznor52 wrote:

Im selling mine this weekend. Already own an xbone so the cash is just going in the bank. Loving Sunset Overdrive right now. Had some fun with the WiiU but I can live without the rest of the games coming. I'll be keeping my 3ds though.

jasonbrr

Bolt_Strike

I agree with @Reznor52 and @BattleEnder. The Wii U has been completely mismanaged this entire generation and I've lost my trust in Nintendo now. If this is the beginning of the end for Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised at all because Nintendo is turning itself against gamers more and more over the years. They've positioned themselves as "the innovators" and in 5th, 6th, and 7th gen you could honestly believe it when we've seen several big, bold, and innovative games that used the hardware's features and/or unique themes to create a completely new experience. Now though? Most of their big games on Wii U are either soulless nostalgia fueled rehashes or a no show altogether. I was hoping that this E3 would continue the momentum gained in 2014/2015 and follow up with more big games from IPs we've all been waiting for, and to be fair with the amount of studios that are currently at work and the amount of time they've been working, it really seemed like 2015 and 2016 had some exciting stuff planned for the Wii U. Sadly, this is not the case. The industry as a whole may be suffering from rising development costs and increasing competition that discourages risk, but it's taking its toll on Nintendo's image the most. Nintendo is marketing themselves as something that no one in the industry can really promise at this point.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

rallydefault

Wow... reading through this thread is quite the eye-opening dosage of reality , complete with a total recant on the OP's part (and to his/her credit - it's awesome when people can actually suck it up and admit they were mislead or wrong or whatever the case may be).

I think we all learned a lot this E3. And something I just heard on a Twitch stream from a gaming journalist I'm coming to respect a bit more (never really did in the past), is that the age of "fanboys" MAY, just MAY be coming to a close. HOPEFULLY, the idea has sort of eaten itself alive, and now we are being left with more and more gamers who are just FANS of the hobby in general and want to see good games.

And on that basic level, sadly, Nintendo just didn't offer up very much this E3. Well, actually, if you're a younger kid and have lots of friends around to play that Metroid/Zelda 3DS game, the Animal Crossing party game - it may actually be pretty darn awesome. But for those of us who are a bit older, and maybe looking to sink our teeth into some new adventures, the immediate future is a bit dim in this section of the console space. Whatever the NX may turn out to be, and however much longer the Wii U manages to stumble through its life span are anyone's guess, but here's to hoping that Nintendo truly did listen to some of the more "well-put," shall we say, feedback on their lineup and direction.

And hey, if they want to go back to making figurines and party games 100% (like they started out with all those years ago), then please, just be honest with your customer base. Tell the world, and go do what you want to do so that we don't continue to mill around waiting. That's all. Good luck!

rallydefault

Octane

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I agree with @Reznor52 and @BattleEnder. The Wii U has been completely mismanaged this entire generation and I've lost my trust in Nintendo now. If this is the beginning of the end for Nintendo, I wouldn't be surprised at all because Nintendo is turning itself against gamers more and more over the years. They've positioned themselves as "the innovators" and in 5th, 6th, and 7th gen you could honestly believe it when we've seen several big, bold, and innovative games that used the hardware's features and/or unique themes to create a completely new experience. Now though? Most of their big games on Wii U are either soulless nostalgia fueled rehashes or a no show altogether. I was hoping that this E3 would continue the momentum gained in 2014/2015 and follow up with more big games from IPs we've all been waiting for, and to be fair with the amount of studios that are currently at work and the amount of time they've been working, it really seemed like 2015 and 2016 had some exciting stuff planned for the Wii U. Sadly, this is not the case. The industry as a whole may be suffering from rising development costs and increasing competition that discourages risk, but it's taking its toll on Nintendo's image the most. Nintendo is marketing themselves as something that no one in the industry can really promise at this point.

Well, why not sell your Wii U and get another console? Oh wait, my bad, you don't even own a Wii U, and you haven't even played these soulless nostalgia fueled games.

Octane

LetsGoRetro

Lol, my thread gets locked because it's not cheerleading Nintendo, and this thread of complete lies is allowed to exist, despite being completely untrue and the result of a user running with one unverified source and stating his own opinions as fact. Not to mention it's completely wrong, as within the first FIVE minutes of the Digital Presentation, the NX was stated to be "Nintendo's next dedicated games console" and was differentiated from it's mobile gaming venture, specifically.

That's not to mention the way it addresses Zelda U possibly being delayed to NX all but verifies it atleast being the next home console.

I really tire of this website. It's the only forum I am aware of where:

1) Your thread gets locked if it isn't pro-Nintendo.
2) You are prohibited from starting a new thread if you mention a game that already has a thread mentioning that game
3) You risk actual account loss for showing any form of anger, displeasure, or dissatisfaction with the company, and I'm not referring to bad language.

And before you say "If you tire of this website then go cuz we don't care, nah nah nah nah", believe me, I'm leaving.

Take care, all.

LetsGoRetro

MsJubilee

LetsGoRetro wrote:

Lol, my thread gets locked because it's not cheerleading Nintendo, and this thread of complete lies is allowed to exist, despite being completely untrue and the result of a user running with one unverified source and stating his own opinions as fact. Not to mention it's completely wrong, as within the first FIVE minutes of the Digital Presentation, the NX was stated to be "Nintendo's next dedicated games console" and was differentiated from it's mobile gaming venture, specifically.

That's not to mention the way it addresses Zelda U possibly being delayed to NX all but verifies it atleast being the next home console.

I really tire of this website. It's the only forum I am aware of where:

1) Your thread gets locked if it isn't pro-Nintendo.
2) You are prohibited from starting a new thread if you mention a game that already has a thread mentioning that game
3) You risk actual account loss for showing any form of anger, displeasure, or dissatisfaction with the company, and I'm not referring to bad language.

And before you say "If you tire of this website then go cuz we don't care, nah nah nah nah", believe me, I'm leaving.

Take care, all.

No the reason your thread got locked is because it would have made pointless arguments and that can end badly. Don't come here all pissy because it got locked. It was a troll thread and nothing more. And no i'm not being a fanboy i just wanted to say that about the pointless thread about Nintendo cons. Which everyone here already said many times!

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

dazzybee

Bloody hell, I came here from N Europe because that place has become utterly unbearable. Is this place just everyone fighting all the time too

dazzybee

Bolt_Strike

Octane wrote:

Well, why not sell your Wii U and get another console? Oh wait, my bad, you don't even own a Wii U, and you haven't even played these soulless nostalgia fueled games.

And that matters why?

dazzybee wrote:

Bloody hell, I came here from N Europe because that place has become utterly unbearable. Is this place just everyone fighting all the time too

If you're looking for positivity, you might want to stay away from anything Nintendo related for at least a year. Nintendo's current direction is leaving a bad taste in the fanbase's mouth, you'd be hard pressed to find someone that actually supports them.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Araquanid

What I think really hurt the wii u, was the cross platforming of certain games for both the console and the 3ds.. Particularly smash and hyrule warriors, both of those titles are extremely strong and well made giving worth to the wii u alone.. however since smash released on the 3DS, I never showed interest in buying it for the wii u over other things.. since I mainly stayed on the 3ds anyway, have all my friends added, and already had the game earlier.. hyrule warriors I still have for the wii u, and it's honestly the only game next to pikmin 3 that I can say is worth having the console around... now hyrule warriors is coming to the 3ds, so in reality.. with smash and hyrule warriors, two big titles, being available on the already owned 3ds.. there isn't much merit to the wii u then?

Guess that leaves splatoon, starfox (not out yet, not too different from the 3ds remake), zelda u (Coming out waaaaay too late), and mario kart. (Just mario kart.. if the original wii's wifi wasn't disabled I'd probably skip it) and pikmin 3.. Pikmin 3 and splatoon aren't necessarly games for everyone either. Pikmin 3 was pretty good and lived up as a pikmin title, but the pikmin franchise just isn't heavily popular and the series was forgotten again a month after it's release. Splatoon is a great new IP, but it's heavily aimed for a younger audience and the gameplay, IMHO, can get repetitive, meaning it'll see it's day of silence.. and leave behind all that squid fanart, ugh

Anyway... my point is if nintendo was smart about this and pushed more of their games towards the wii u instead of the 3ds, and didn't make games that went on both consoles at once, then the wii u would have more exclusive content worth purchasing. Even if they pushed the remakes like majora's mask and OOT 3d on the wii u, it would still give it more value over the already heavily praised 3ds.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

shaneoh

Bolt_Strike wrote:

dazzybee wrote:

If you're looking for positivity, you might want to stay away from anything Nintendo related for at least a year. Nintendo's current direction is leaving a bad taste in the mouths of the people who cry and throw a tantrum when they don't get exactly what they want, you'll easily find someone that actually supports them.

Fixed that for you. No, no, don't thank me. I'm not a hero, just a man at his computer.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

OptometristLime

Maybe we can just lock this thread, assuming the last comments reflect a trend...

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Haru17

shaneoh wrote:

Fixed that for you. No, no, don't thank me. I'm not a hero, just a man at his computer.

Wow, what amazing rhetorical technique. Are you one of the great writers, risen from the dead!?!

Untitled

Edit: Consider yourselves lucky this isn't about 20 Stephen Colbert gifs =P

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.