Forums

Topic: What GC VC games could look like if they were upscaled to 1080p

Posts 81 to 100 of 152

CowLaunch

Far more important to me is the graphical style than how sharp it looks; though I suppose the latter helps realise the former.

CowLaunch

Happy_Mask

It all comes down to personal preference. Some people might say graphics are the most important thing, some might say gameplay. And someone might even argue for story. As long as there is constant improvement, who cares of they make remakes? Many people who enjoyed oot 3d had played it before in some form. But many people hadn't before as well. You dont like it then don't buy it. . I would buy a luigis mansion remake if it was compatible with the gcn controller but everyone knows, WiiU is not.

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

OptometristLime

I'm always quick to defend the Nintendo fan base, it's in my best interest being an avid fan myself. But this kind of ignorance is what causes much of the divide between players of varying consoles. Graphics should be a common language, where enhancements are celebrated as potential for immersion increases. With the advent of the Wii U this is the rare opportunity where Nintendo gamers can hold their heads above or at least even with their brethren on Xbox 360 and PS3, confident in the power of their console.
Anyway this is all hyperbole, and secondary to the ability of game designers to create games that are both graphically impressive and fun to play. I think Reggie said it best; when pressed about the graphical shortcomings of the Wii versus Wii U: "Now that excuse is gone [for developers]."

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

moomoo

Happy_Mask wrote:

It all comes down to personal preference. Some people might say graphics are the most important thing, some might say gameplay. And someone might even argue for story. As long as there is constant improvement, who cares of they make remakes? Many people who enjoyed oot 3d had played it before in some form. But many people hadn't before as well. You dont like it then don't buy it. . I would buy a luigis mansion remake if it was compatible with the gcn controller but everyone knows, WiiU is not.

[/div]

That's not what the argument is about though. It's about that upscaling the game can make it more enjoyable, more immersive, or help it to age better. Which it can. Look at MGS1 on the PS1 and on the Gamecube. If the game could be played in the exact same fashion with the exact same controller for the exact same price, which version would you pick? I'd choose Gamecube for sure, because it looks better. It'd be hard to pick the PS1 version if everything else is exactly the same.
Now there actually are arguements against playing HD vs. not, the main one being that if you HD-ify a game, then certain problems you didn't see suddenly become present due to a lack of consistency in appearance. In the RE4 HD remake on XBLA/PSN, certain crappy textures became more apparent because other aspects of the game, like Leon's model, looked better. Also, like with the Silent Hill HD remake, certain parts of atmosphere can be lost when you simply upscale a game. Plus, some games just won't be able to show a difference. If Mega Man 2 was upscaled, no one could tell the difference. Yeah, that's a stupid argument, since I haven't seen 2d bit-style games ever get that treatment, but just pointing it out.
EDIT: I would like to say that I'd much rather prefer HD to not. Take Turok on the N64. If that game was upscaled, I'd enjoy it much more because I could see more than 20 ft. in front of me. All they're doing is changing the graphics, but it makes the game more enjoyable. And like many have said before, including the post right above me, better graphics capabilites allow for more kinds of games to be made. I can garuntee that Uncharted, Bioshock, and Crysis would not have been possible on the Wii.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

GameLord08

thelastlemming wrote:

I'm always quick to defend the Nintendo fan base, it's in my best interest being an avid fan myself. But this kind of ignorance is what causes much of the divide between players of varying consoles. Graphics should be a common language, where enhancements are celebrated as potential for immersion increases. With the advent of the Wii U this is the rare opportunity where Nintendo gamers can hold their heads above or at least even with their brethren on Xbox 360 and PS3, confident in the power of their console.
Anyway this is all hyperbole, and secondary to the ability of game designers to create games that are both graphically impressive and fun to play. I think Reggie said it best; when pressed about the graphical shortcomings of the Wii versus Wii U: "Now that excuse is gone [for developers]."

Whoever you may be, know that you are loved for this.

GameLord08

shingi_70

Yep I was kind of bored at NSMBU screens seeing as how the wii and 3DS games look la kluster. But seeing those direct feed screens and view made me a believer. Game looks closer to the older games than anything else and the backgrounds look amazing.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Lan

Now about graphics, I used to think graphics don't mean anything, it's 100% about the gameplay. But I recently built a PC and I've been playing DiRT 2 and 3, and wow, the graphics enhance the gameplay so much. After every race I watch the replay, it's funny because it looks like a real rally car driver driving like an idiot, crashing into everything. It wouldn't be the same if the game looked bad. The graphics just add so much to the experience, in this case anyway.

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

DudeSean

@romulux The wii got shoddy ports because the wii didn't have enough ram. Not because it didn't have a high enough resolution. Again, your comments about games like ghostbusters and red steel, their graphics are based on lack of ram, not resolution. You are right, however, about Miyamoto making Pikmin 3 have a more zoomed out view because of the higher resolution. But I would not consider that to be a change in art style.
Literally speaking, HD can make a game more immersive, but as I have already said, I do not care about that.

Edited on by theblackdragon

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

kyuubikid213

Wheels2050 wrote:

As others have said, I think it matters because visuals are part of the overall experience. You say that visuals have absolutely no effect on your enjoyment of a game, which I find hard to believe, but OK. I think differently.

If a game is made one way and upscaled years later to a higher resolution without fixing any of the "issues" of the original game or adding anything new, it is the same game with a better coat of paint. That's how I see it.

Wheels2050 wrote:

Let's put it this way - if someone put two versions of a given game in front of me, one of which was rendered in 1024x768 with no AA or AF, and another version that was rendered in 1920x1080 with 8xAA and 16xAF, and are otherwise exactly the same, I'm going to go with the latter because I'll enjoy it more. This is basically what I'm arguing, and people seem to insist that they'd settle for the former.

That's where the argument falls apart. You are saying it as though we are getting a brand new game in HD and people like me are saying, "Well, I'd rather have it in 480p." When in actuality, it is an old game being remade with upscaled graphics only, but the new version with newer graphics is somehow superior when the only "fix" was the graphics. If your scenario was true, I would most certainly want the higher resolution copy. In the scenario this thread is posing, however, I don't see why it would make a difference.

I like Resident Evil 4 (yes, I'm using this scenario again, but bear with me). However, I think that not being able to move and shoot is harmful to the Mercenaries mode and the more action-packed parts of the game. Also, I wish there were more characters in the Mercenaries mode. If this game was upscaled to HD and that was all they did, then I wouldn't enjoy it anymore than the original because it was the original...just with better graphics. End of story. If they made the "appropriate changes" and upscaled it in the process, then I would enjoy it more because the gameplay would have improved or there would be more content.

Once again referring to Ocarina of Time, the original version is fun, but I like the 3DS remake more because not only did they improve the graphics, they also added two game modes not in the original, had a new control method (gyro aim) not in the original, and made the game more playable through more difficult parts (the Water Temple).

IN SHORT: If a game was made today and they had two versions accessible to me with one in SD and one in HD for the same price with the same content, I would get the HD version. If it is just an upscaling of a good game from the past that I had a good time with, why would my experience be any better than my first time through? Because the graphics are better? I don't think so...

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

grumblebuzzz

My simple reply on this issue: that would be cool, but too much work to do on Nintendo's part so it won't happen.

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

theblackdragon

I do hope we can all calm down and keep it civil in here, please — the next user(s) to make it personal up in here may find themselves temp-banned. Consider yourselves warned.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Wheels2050

@kyuubikid213: I don't see the difference you're talking about. I'm arguing that any given game will be enhanced by only improving the graphics (of which I consider resolution one of the most important parts). However, you seem to be saying that the age of the game matters - nicer graphics would only matter for a new game. I don't follow.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

kyuubikid213

@Wheels2050 I'm trying to say that a good game will always be a good game whether it is in 480p or 1080p, but if it is the same good game just upscaled a few years later, then you are just getting the same game with enhanced graphics. To make a good game great when revamping it, the developer should fix whatever flaws the game had originally. The graphics for the game weren't bad when it came out (GCN) so why is it bad now? And why does it matter when the rest of the game is a materpiece?

As for the new game/old game thing, I am saying that if a game came out on DS and 3DS (just an example) with everything the exact same including price, I would get the 3DS version. But if a good game came out on DS that had flaws and instead of targeting these in a remake for 3DS and just upscaling the graphics, then I don't think the game would be better overall.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

kyuubikid213

I'm just going to say the Short Short version of what I'm trying to say.

Graphics are important, but if you take a good game and upscale the graphics, it doesn't make it any better. It's just the same good game with better graphics.

I'm on YouTube.

I pro...

e-love

I've always thought many Wii games look much better than some of the PS3 / XBOX games because of the art styles. To me, if it doesn't have a good art style, it doesn't matter if its the highest resolution around. I've seen plenty of ugly games (on both systems) and it just comes down to the art direction they take.

Having said that, if Gamecube games were upscaled to HD it would be great for me. I have a pretty big HD TV, and obviously playing them in SD on it wouldn't look so good. My Gamecube games still look as wonderful as ever on my smaller CRTV but that's in a different room and I don't plan on having the Wii U in there. Basically, having the games in HD allows for me to better enjoy the experience. Its better to have clarity rather than a blurry washed out mess.

Also, what's the issue if these games were upscaled anyways? If you don't want them and they aren't "improved enough" from the original (which they shouldn't be, that's what the Virtual Console's supposed to be, the original games) then just don't buy it. I think having the Gamecube games available is great for people who maybe missed out on some of it's incredibly diverse library and would love to own them digitally. Having them in HD only makes it more convenient for those of us with larger HDTV's.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

GameLord08

I'd like it if there was the option to either play certain Virtual Console releases, especially GameCube games, in their original graphics format, or in revised HD. Less than likely, but that way, everyone's happy.

GameLord08

Hokori

GameLord08 wrote:

I'd like it if there was the option to either play certain Virtual Console releases, especially GameCube games, in their original graphics format, or in revised HD. Less than likely, but that way, everyone's happy.

I agree

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

DudeSean

There's definitely no harm in adding HD support to n64, gamecube and wii games on the Wii U. Just add it in as an option like with the pixel perfect mode in the 3DS' virtual console library.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Happy_Mask

@DudeSean how do you access this pixel perfect mode?

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

moomoo

GameLord08 wrote:

[/div]

Sony did it with the Vita for the PSP support, so it's definitely possible. I'd love for that to be an option, since seeing Twilight Princess in the original post upscaled like that looked really nice.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.