Forums

Topic: What GC VC games could look like if they were upscaled to 1080p

Posts 101 to 120 of 152

DudeSean

@Happy_Mask Hold start while the game is loading. While the screen is dispalying "Nintendo 3DS." It only works for gameboy and game gear games.

Do that in the gameboy games, for the game gear games you go into "screen settings" in the virtual console menu and select "dot by dot."

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Happy_Mask

Oh, I already knew that. Now I feel stupid calling it gameboy mode >.<

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

DudeSean

I don't know if there is an official name for what it is. I don't know why Nintendo had to be so secretive about it. Why couldn't they include all that stuff in their vc menu like sega did? Eh... Sega does what Nintendon't...

DudeSean

GameLord08

DudeSean wrote:

I don't know if there is an official name for what it is. I don't know why Nintendo had to be so secretive about it. Why couldn't they include all that stuff in their vc menu like sega did? Eh... Sega does what Nintendon't...

Mmm. Like dropping out as hardware manufacturers.

Anyhow, I could believe they wanted it to be more of a sort of "easter egg" setting, maybe. Less than likely, though.

Edited on by GameLord08

GameLord08

romulux

kyuubikid213 wrote:

If you took Metroid Prime and upscaled the graphics to 1080i, why would I enjoy that more than the original version? It's the same game with the same enemies, the same power-ups, the same bosses, the same story, the same world, and the same Samus.

[/div]

why would watching a blu-ray on a 55" HDTV be any more enjoyable than watching the VHS tape on a 10" portable CRT? it's the exact same movie with the exact same scenes and actors, right?

i don't think you'd agree with this logic, but that's pretty much the argument you're applying to games. i've actually played metroid prime in 1600p don't ban me! and yeah, it is more enjoyable for all the reasons i've (and a lot of other people) already posted. you see more detail. you notice things you never could before. it's not a slight enhancement... seeing a wii/GC game in HD feels like you're playing a new game on a whole new system.

here's windwaker to illustrate my point.
Untitled

beautiful game, but could you see the hlyian text above the archway? the engravings on the upper walls of the town? the design on the flag near the top of the picture? the individual shingles on the roofs, or each rudder on the windmill?

try it in HD (may have to scroll).
Untitled

that's the amount of information already in the game that you're losing in SD. you don't need to enhance the graphics or add new visual flourishes to make the upgrade to HD meaningful because the sheer amount of stuff that's already on the disc waiting to be unlocked is so great.

i don't know about you, but i think that's a big deal. people sat in chairs for hours on end putting those details into the game and it's unfortunate that in the end, players won't even see half of them due to the low res output of the system the game was on. why not just admit that it would be a good thing to have these games presented in a higher resolution that does their visuals justice? the games are still great in SD, but there's no possible argument you can make to convince me that they're not better in HD (and again, i know that because i've played them both ways ).

DudeSean wrote:

@romulux The wii got shoddy ports because the wii didn't have enough ram. Not because it didn't have a high enough resolution. Again, your comments about games like ghostbusters and red steel, their graphics are based on lack of ram, not resolution.

.... ? no comment....

Edited on by romulux

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

JustAnotherUser

@romulux Very good point.
However to achieve this Dolphin multiplies the internal resolution and it takes a very big toll on the GPU.
But playing Wind Waker in 720P is amazing though, and that's just with 2x internal resolution.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong, the more you know and such.)

edit: Your setup must be ridiculous.. confound you...

Edited on by JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser

kyuubikid213

romulux wrote:

why not just admit that it would be a good thing to have these games presented in a higher resolution that does their visuals justice?

I know you all think I'm being stubborn, but this is how I feel about this situation. If the Wii U had a GameCube VC library and it upscaled the games to 1080p, I would enjoy it. I would play the games all the same, but I wouldn't enjoy it more than the original version. I know that the pretty HD is supposed to immerse me more, but if I wasn't immersed the first time in the world, why would I be now that it is in HD? And if I was immersed the first time, why would HD immerse me more? They don't need HD to reel me in. I'm already there. If the HD is already there, then I'll enjoy those games for what they are worth.

Don't get me wrong, I love HD and I think it looks amazing, but if the original stood up perfectly over the years in SD, why would HD make it a million times better?

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

JustAnotherUser

@kyuubikid213 it wouldn't.
It would just make it look better. That is all.
Personally I prefer games with an Art Style rather than super-hyper trying to be realistic.

JustAnotherUser

shingi_70

Wind Waker is probably the perfect game for HD. Looks amazing in dolphin.

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

GameLord08

Sony_70 wrote:

Wind Waked is probably the perfect game for HD. Looks amazing in dolphin.

I concur. While the older graphics do give the game a sense of character, I would lunge at the opportunity to play a game like Wind Waker in HD on the Wii U. Just look at those colourful surroundings, that atmosphere...

GameLord08

e-love

I want Super Mario Sunshine in HD.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

romulux

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I know you all think I'm being stubborn, but this is how I feel about this situation. If the Wii U had a GameCube VC library and it upscaled the games to 1080p, I would enjoy it. I would play the games all the same, but I wouldn't enjoy it more than the original version.

you won't know that until you try it! hopefully you get the chance.

we've got to mind the forum rules with the HD talk, but my pc isn't all that great. i just built it new, so it has up to date but modest components. that's all it takes these days.... the wii u would probably be more than capable of uprendering games without any issues. it does make me wonder how long each release would take though, considering how few n64 titles we got on the wii vc.

goldeneye- 5447 4748 5174

DudeSean

HD is more important to some people than others. That is all that needs to be said here.

DudeSean

GameLord08

DudeSean wrote:

HD is more important to some people than others. That is all that needs to be said here.

I feel graphics are more important to the game itself, and some people choose to appreciate details better than others. It's not really just centered on "HD, ooh! HD, aah!". That generalisation makes us out to look like we're just shallow-minded, and pay less attention to the gameplay - to me, graphics is an aspect of gameplay, and I believe many others sharing my opinion on graphics would agree. But even if others may not, I respect their thoughts nonetheless.

Anyway, just voicing my perspective. Back on track.

Edited on by GameLord08

GameLord08

Wheels2050

GameLord08 wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

... to me, graphics is an aspect of gameplay...

Too true. Play an FPS on different resolutions on the PC, and you'll find aiming is appreciably different.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

shingi_70

Graphics are hella important. I find it funny when people say the art style is the most important when artstyle is just an extension of graphics. Compare twilight princess to the Wii U tech demo. Both using similar artstyles but the difference in graphics are a astounding. But a good base artstyle does a lot for a game. Wind Waker still looks great today because of the graphic style that was chosen.

Its best when the two work in tandem. Probablyxwhy I love 2D games since you dint have as many limitations

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

2D>3D in a lot of cases and that those were just 2D platformers and fighters I posted.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Bankai

I would post a screenshot of Final Fantasy XIII, or Nier, or Dark Souls, or Journey, or Lost Odessey, or The Witcher 2, or Gregory Horror Show, or... to demonstrate that 3D is as capable of throwing up beautiful art style,but meh, it's late. Google search yourself those names

Eel

Well, some of the games he posted are 3D...

Anyways this makes me wonder how would Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life look upscaled to 1080p, the game already looks great the way it is

@LordOtakWiiU below me: These are not examples of HD.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Hokori

Ok now I see it that DKCR post lookse great in HD, ahhh who am I kidding, they all do even the castlevania one

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.