Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 26,381 to 26,400 of 37,662

JaxonH

@GrailUK
That old RE approach with stationary views for each room seems dated though. That kind of had to be changed and updated because it's just not up to scratch in 2018.

But I was watching some gameplay and there is still stealth. It looks a lot more interesting than gameplay of the originals, if you ask me. But that's just my observation from watching gameplay. Does seem more action oriented now though.

Some gameplay from the devs:

PC demo gameplay, although the person playing seems to not know about the stealth slo mo thing...

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Diablo 3, Monster Hunter Gen Ult, Dark Souls, World of Final Fantasy, TWEWY
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
PC/Rift:
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

darkfenrir

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-confirms-that-the-swi...

For the ones worried about the playtime display issues.

`Nintendo confirms that an upcoming firmware update will address the play time issue. Additionally, data hasn’t been lost. The issue is related to how the information is being shown and has not impacted play records or saved data. When the update arrives, the time you’ve played should display properly once again.`

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

rallydefault

@darkfenrir
Thanks for the info.

I'm just asking for it with this comment, but hey, it's early in the morning and I"m feeling spunky, so I'm gonna go for it.

Anybody else just kinda shake their heads at how much people care about this issue? Pardon my French, but why in the name of a hedgehog's hairy behind does it matter if your video game console keeps track of how many hours you've played it? What ever just happened to... playing games? Why does everything have to be play time and achievements and badges and whatever to show off to (most likely nobody, actually) a handful of internet strangers? (Also find it funny that some of the anti-achievement people are some of the most upset about this issue...seems ironic to me.)

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

darkfenrir

@rallydefault Haha, for me it's more of...

"Oh, so this is how long I have played this game! ^^ I have gotten my money's worth!" Kind of like that.

And Achievements are nice, but I could care less, to be honest. XD

In the end, for me, what matters is that I enjoyed the game and that's it, other people have different opinions than mine and it's okay of course.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I see the site is having some problems again. It was down for a while and now if you click on a story, the body of the text just reads "error".

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Peek-a-boo

Long message incoming!

Treated myself to a Switch a couple of weeks ago in the half-term which, for those who are none the wiser, is a week long break for schools here in Great Britain.

Thanks to my good friend, he was able to get 20% off a returned (but unused) Switch at John Lewis, costing me £224.99 in all, down from the RRP of £279.99.

Also got a copy of Super Mario Odyssey and downloaded Golf Story.

I am currently in the process of selling all of my (physical) Wii U games on Gumtree; I have ‘replaced’ both The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 with a Switch version, seeing as I never got around to starting the former on my Wii U, and have always enjoyed playing the latter.

Anyhoo, the Switch.

It’s pretty good, verging on being super great, but there is also a few things that are left much to be desired.

I acknowledge that things are gradually implemented over a period of time however, seeing as the Switch has just had its first anniversary, the homepage and the (lack of) features is surprisingly barebones.

Coming from the 3DS and the Wii U, the homepage and the ‘apps’ within, such as the eShop, are incredibly soulless and devoid of the Nintendo charm that is easy to see on the other two platforms I have just mentioned.

There are no (genre) categories or submenus in the eShop; I had to actually search for Golf Story to buy the game! The cheerful music that used to greet you on eShop for the Wii U is sorely missing, and the colour scheme is bland - orange and white everywhere, whether you like it or not.

I miss the community spirit you got from spending a little bit of time on Miiverse, and the way the Wii U had those Mii’s surrounding various (popular) games on the homepage on the Wii U is all but gone...

‘Friendly’ and ‘community’ are not the kind of words I would use to describe the Switch.

Granted, the UI is quick and straight to the point. Boot-up time is fairly swift, and ‘wake from sleep’ is almost instantaneous too. The black theme is very welcome for night time play however, giving us two ‘themes’ to choose from is indefensibly poor.

My JoyCons are uneven.

The right one fits nice and snuggly whereas the left one wobbles about slightly. I can now understand why there were numerous complaints about the JoyCons at launch. I am not sure what I can about the wobbly-ish one though.

Battery life is just about adequate enough, and charging times is somehow even worse.

Played Super Mario Odyssey for maybe three and a bit hours over four separate sessions, and it takes nearly the same amount of time to fully charge (!)

The brightness was at 20% and the volume was just over the halfway mark so, that was quite disappointing to see. Both my new 3DS and PS Vita battery lasts longer and doesn’t take nowhere near as long to charge up again either.

Clearly the Switch is more powerful than those two handhelds, but battery life remains an issue. Plenty of QoL things needs to be addressed too.

Still! Besides the lack of AA, Super Mario Odyssey looks superb and the way the rumble is implemented is brilliant - I couldn’t help but smile at some of the more subtle vibrations when Mario walks over certain areas. New Donk City is an absolute joy to explore, and hop, skip and jumping my way along the beach, especially at sunset, is superb fun.

Golf Story is just about the most charming game I have played in a while, and the use of HD rumble is really good. It is an easy pick-up-and-play game.

I struggle holding the 3DS for a long period of time, and playing certain games on the PS Vita causes a little bit discomfort too. The Switch, on the other hand, is mostly always a joy to hold, and thank goodness for two shoulder buttons on each JoyCon as well as two reasonably good - if small - analogue sticks.

I woke up too early yesterday morning, at about half past five, and since I didn’t wish to disturb my partner who was sound asleep, I picked up the Switch on my bedside table, muted the volume, turned the brightness all the way down and happily played Golf Story for nearly an hour. This is what the Switch is all about!

Until the battery inevitably died, that is...

If I was giving the Switch an early report, it would be a C+ at the moment.

Needs more new games that isn’t a Wii U port, needs those new indie games when they appear on other consoles rather than having to wait 6+ months down the road and it especially needs a homepage refresh that provides the Nintendo charm that is - presently - sorely lacking.

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

Grumblevolcano

For me, play time stats are useful when planning 2nd playthroughs and that becomes even more important for consoles like Switch where there's only 1 save file for most games. If a game took me 200+ hours to fully complete like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (that took 290 hours), I don't think it's wise for me to start the 2nd playthrough when I know I'm going to be distracted by games I've started but haven't fully completed for the first time like Mario Odyssey.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Knuckles-Fajita

@Peek-a-boo Youre the only person who would complain about an aspect of the Wii U OS being left behind.

As for folders and such, itll come. Its the same OS as the PS4 after all.

The battery is a downside of battery tech not improving for quite some time: that market has stagnated in moving forward.

Besides the lack of AA in Mario Odyssey...honestly if youre gonna mention something as minor as AA but NOT mention the frame dips, 900p resolution, poor shadows and 30fps Snapshot mode...I cant help you.

As for the eShop, again, they took everything people hated about Wii U and discarded it. No fluff. No charm. Nothing to slow the experience.

I can guarantee the Virtual Console wont be called that anymore as you know anything from that era is cursed as far as they care.

There are genres in the eShop. You can filter your search results by genre (something the PS4 bafflingly cant pull off) and other criteria like demos.

At this point Id have advised anyone from buying the system. I see people like yourself jumping in for one or two games and coming away disappointed or finding they dont care for half of the concept.

Id advise you move on until the inevitable revision and more games that worth a damn beyond the handful already.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@Peek-a-boo
Good to see you're enjoying it. There's definitely some downsides, but at the end of the day I can deal with lack of eShop categories. What I could not deal with was 30 second load times anytime I wanted to boot up Wii U or 3DS, or go to settings, or even capture a screenshot. So it's a small bit of give, but a whole truckload of take.

As for charge times, actually charges as fast as technology allows in this day and age. USB-C PD allows it to charge at a whopping 18W in handheld mode (I've done the tests) vs 10W with USB-C and 7.5W with standard USB. So I don't really see charge times as being a valid criticism because that's as fast as technology feasibly allows. USB-C PD is the extreme end of charge times. Can charge 0-100% in about 3 hrs which is really fast.

The real issue is more with battery life than charge times. It's noticeably shorter than prior handhelds. At least an hour shorter on average. I know that technically the Switch can get 4-6 hrs depending on how demanding the game is and depending on whether you have wireless on and how bright your screen is, etc. but screw all that nonsense. I crank the brightness all the way to the right until it won't go right anymore. Power saving? What's that... Only one volume button ever gets used: UP. And I get about 3 hours flat. But to be perfectly honest three hours is a long time to play a video game when you're away from home and away from an outlet. Usually when I play it's in 20 minute bursts during break at work and then another 20 to 30 minutes at shift change with my coworkers. On slow Sundays I will sit down and play for several hours, but usually by the time the battery is toast I'm done playing anyways, and I'm ready to put the system into sleep.

However. I do keep a USB-C POWER DELIVERY portable battery in my case at all times, as well as USB-C PD charger. And I've got enough juice to power that puppy for 24 hours straight if I needed. And the USB-C cable even has a right angle on it so as to fit into the port while using my miniature foldable tripod, which is super compact and easily fits into my case unlike those big, unwieldy Hori playstands.

I recommend this, however:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/switchcase-ca...

Untitled

It still fits in the dock (although with my tempered glass screen protector adding a smidge of thickness also, it was a tight fit- I wedged two screwdriver handles into the slots of the dock overnight to pry the gap open just a little bit more and now it's a comfy fit).

It's so incredibly comfortable, I don't ever want to play docked again. It's absolute night and day from the bare-bones system as a handheld. I use the smaller grips (they are swappable and come in all the Joycon colors) but it does come with two sizes. The smaller ones are lower profile and just all-around more comfortable in my opinion. It also comes with a carrying case that is extremely slim but has a compartment underneath where Switch sits that can house a 3DS or GPD Win 2 perfectly. So when GPD Win 2 releases in May for backers, I will be able to carry my entire Nintendo collection and PC gaming collection in one slim case anywhere I go. Highly recommended just for the case alone.

I think as you use it and play it more you're going to start falling in love with the system. I know I have. Yeah it's missing some themes and charms and the eShop categories and all that, but at the end of the day it's super lightning fast, instant on and instant off, instant transition to handheld and instant transition to tabletop and instant transition to home console... even the screenshots are so instantaneous that it just makes other consoles feel lacking in comparison. There's no delay at all and I love it. It just needs a proper online system (fingers crossed, but I would recommend preparing for the worst and just assume it will never have a proper online system, and if they surprise us then awesome and if they don't, oh well, you were already prepared to accept it as it is). I will eat my hat the day Nintendo gets a proper online system right.

edit
Also recommend these. The set comes with 3 different kinds of caps, but the convex ones simply mimic the real Joycon joysticks, but they protect them from wear and tear and they add just a little bit of height which makes them a little bit more responsive. I tried the double stacked tall ones and it works wonders for accuracy but it's just kind of unwieldy. I did not like the concave ones. But they look exactly like the real analogues and they are made of a similar rubber material. I keep a set on every pair of joycon I own.

https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Co-Joystick-Nintendo-Controller/...

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

@JaxonH Is it? My phone has a 3000mAh battery and it charges to full capacity within 30 minutes. The Switch has something around 4000mAh? But it can take up to three hours to fully charge the system. That's the biggest downside I think.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
I don't think your phone charges to full capacity in 30 minutes. Even the latest Qualcomm 4.0 only does 50% in 15 min then slows down for the rest. That's the cutting edge fast charge standard with a much smaller battery (but Idk what phone you have so).

Your phone probably uses the quick charge protocol which charges really fast from 20% to 80% but then slows down. I believe the quick charge protocol is about on even ground with USB-C PD.

Quick charge 3.0 is 18W, exactly the same as Switch in handheld mode. Prior protocols were even slower. Which, it should be stated, Switch also charges super fast up to 80% and then slows down. It's that last 20% that really adds to the charge time.

There is a new cutting-edge quick charge 4.0 but I'm not sure how many devices use it. Everything seems to be switching over to USB-C PD. Which, btw, can do FAR more than 18W. That's just the artificial power draw cap for Switch in handheld mode. While docked it can actually pull far more. 45W is the stated power draw but I've never actually done tests to see how much it actually draws.

Should probably also explain that Switch can charge 0-100% while playing Zelda on max settings in less than 4 hrs. Roughly 2% gained every 5 min, if using USB-C PD for full 18W draw. It charges much faster if you put into sleep mode and faster still if you have it docked. I've never tested charge times while docked.

USB-C PD can actually do up to 100W (The highest I've ever seen used is the MacBook with 87W draw). But for most smaller mobile devices, 18W is standard. Google Pixel charges at 18W, for example, using USB-C PD, same as Switch in handheld. So it's on the upper end of the current trend... at least for now.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

tobibra

Will Fear Effect be digital only?

tobibra

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

Octane

@JaxonH Well, I've never tested it from zero charge all the way up to full charge. But I have a OnePlus 3. I believe it has a 5V charger at 20W. From about 15% to fully charged takes about thirty minutes. I should drain both of them and do some tests this week, if I have the time!

Octane

JaxonH

@tobibra
Yes. Digital only.

I suppose it's possible it sees a physical release later on down the line, but who can say. I wouldn't count on it anyways.

NOW PLAYING
3DS:
PS4/PSVR:
Vita:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

Harmonie

@Peek-a-boo I certainly agree on the comfort of the Switch as a portable. For me, the 3DS was a never particularly comfortable handheld to play. Especially when playing a game like Mario Kart. Mario Kart 8 plays so much more comfortably on the Switch compared to the Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS. It's night and day!

I think size may have something to do with it.

Harmonie

EvilLucario

Yeah the Switch is pretty much a original Game Boy Advance supercharged for modern-day specs.

As a handheld gamer, I do miss the clamshell designs of the DS/3DS/GBA SP as those allowed me to fit them in my pocket (I can fit the Switch in my coat pocket, but wearing coats in spring/summer hahahahahahaha), but the Switch really is so comfortable to play with. Just a shame the kickstand isn't good on its own, but the Wii U GamePad stand works so well that it makes up for the bad kickstand.

Tabletop mode is so brilliant, it's something I never guessed I'd want, but after playing in it I'd love for a better kickstand in the eventual Switch redesign.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

StuTwo

@Peek-a-boo I don’t think I’d disagree with any of your points - although the relative importance of each one will vary dependent on the user.

Switch is lacking some Nintendo charm. Miiverse was a very clever idea with a lot of good things baked into it. It’s a shame that Nintendo has thrown it out completely but it wasn’t selling consoles and Nintendo struggled to explain what it was and what it’s value was.

I’d also note that the Nintendo charm can (and has in the past) turned off a lot of people.

On battery life - personally I’ve never found it to be a problem at all but I rarely play more than 2 hours in a single stretch.

Hopefully you enjoy owning one and some of your points are addressed in time.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

IceClimbers

I love the Switch's UI. Clean, simple, fast, and to the point. No bloat and no weird bubble design. I wouldn't mind some themes though!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

bluemage1989

Give us some themes!!

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Lego DC Super Villains and Super Mario Party.

WiiU: Yoshi's Woolly World

N64: Donkey Kong 64.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic