Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 70,001 to 70,020 of 70,082

dmcc0

@Anti-Matter I wonder if we'll see a 'Selects' range if/when the next console drops and it's has backwards compatibility? Would be a good way to build up a decent library of games if there aren't a ton of new games available at launch.

dmcc0

FishyS

@dmcc0 I doubt they will bring back selects; if anything they will keep selling for $60 and say the games have improved performance on Switch 2 or something... Or they will just insert a 2 on the cover with no change and brand them both as Switch 1 and Switch 2 games.

Perhaps half off sales will get more common for older games though. Or 2-for-1 sales.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

OctolingKing13

Anyone see the magnetic joyconnand pro controller support for switch 2?

Taylor from Blank Space was my old pfp if anyone gets confused. this is tay from he latest album
I LOVE OCTO SHOT REPLICA
cats are the best

Anti-Matter

@dmcc0
And please No Red frame of Nintendo Select games again like during Wii, 3DS, Wii U era.
It ruined the whole cover.

Anti-Matter

Grumblevolcano

@dmcc0 I think the NSO voucher program was Nintendo's replacement to heavier discounts like Selects.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FishyS

@Grumblevolcano The voucher program is a worse price than their common 33% off sales though. Plus they apply to new games. I think the question is if we can expect any reduced prices for Switch 1 branded games after Switch 2 eventually takes over.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

PikminMarioKirby

@FishyS Actually, I quite like the vouchers. Typically the games on sale are usually a few years old, so I can pre-order a game or get a new game with the vouchers to get them cheaper, rather than waiting a few years or so for a sale.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dmcc0

@FishyS Yeah, maybe just wishful thinking on my part, although in truth there's not much I'd actually pick up if it were in a Selects range at this point. I haven't bought a first party game in ages and I can't think of any I've still got on the Wishlist

@Anti-Matter Those budget ranges always spoil the cover art regardless of who makes them - PlayStation Platinum/Greatest Hits etc has been the same over the years too. The artwork is awful - the yellow and silver of the PS2 Platinum probably the worst IMO though.

@Grumblevolcano If so, that's a pretty poor replacement. The voucher discount isn't really much of a saving in my opinion and you can by most games for similar discounts at regular retail without having to commit to buying a second game. The discount on Selects (and the PS equivalents) was/is closer to 50% in most cases.

Edit: I realise that it wasn't just 1st party games in the Selects range, but the way 3rd Party studios discount their games now there would be little point in including them in any Selects series as you can usually pick them up heavily discounted a few months after launch anyway.

Edited on by dmcc0

dmcc0

FishyS

PikminMarioKirby wrote:

@FishyS Actually, I quite like the vouchers. Typically the games on sale are usually a few years old, so I can pre-order a game or get a new game with the vouchers to get them cheaper, rather than waiting a few years or so for a sale.

I do like vouchers also (even though I bought a voucher this year and don't know what to do with the second half 😆 ), but the question was more if sales or prices on older Switch 1 games will get better once Switch 2 is out.

FishyS

IceClimbers

@FishyS Doubt it when it comes to 1st party titles. Nintendo won't drop them in price or do deeper discounts, they'll just end production runs for the physical copies. You might see retailers do deeper discounts to clear inventory however.

3rd party on the other hand, I think we're starting to see deeper discounts already. I think that will continue as we get into the Switch 2's lifespan.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@FishyS @dmcc0 The way I looking it at was the whole point of the Selects line was having older games at a deep permanent price cut. Meanwhile the voucher program was about being able to get a pair of any Nintendo published games that are at a certain price or higher (for UK it's £39.99 or higher). You could even pair BotW (a Switch launch title) with LM2 HD (the newest release that currently supports vouchers).

The 2 models collide if active at the same time considering a load of games would be too cheap to be eligible for the voucher program. Taking that into account, I think it would be more likely that Selects just don't exist for Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

The voucher program is smart.

When other publishers release games, I think: "How long before the game is patched up and being sold at a 50% discount?" Usually doesn't take too long. Literally feels like you're punishing your most loyal and avid customers by saddling them with a more expensive and inferior product to what people who wait are buying.

Whereas, with Nintendo, it feels like, as much as possible, they try to put out heavily polished games, and the voucher program feels more like a "thank you" for being a loyal fan. Instead of cratering the price months after launch, they'll give you a discount on DAY ONE. And maintaining the integrity of their prices means they don't even devalue your games down the road (by too much, at least).

With a few exceptions, I respond to these sort of incentive structures as a consumer. A pre-order or day one purchase is a no-brainer for me with a Nintendo-published title.

When it comes to everyone else? I'm probably not going to buy in at launch to see how much money I'll save in post-launch sales, and, inevitably, once I skip launch day, I'm just going to let the devaluation of the game in various sales stabilize before buying in.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

I think I only did the voucher program once. It was luigis mansion 3 and Mario maker if I recall correctly. It makes more sense now since Walmart hasn't been doing $10 off for new titles like they used to. Now, I'm not even sure I'd want to use it on 2 digital titles unless there's some big news dropped in June.

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano

I only used vouchers once (Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and 3D All Stars), they were used as a backup in case online delivery messed up physical version. Didn't really know how things were doing to turn out considering this was 2020. Physical versions turned out fine, wish I got Bioshock back then considering it's really hard to find nowadays.

It was a difficult call back then, rebuy my Xbox library fully on Switch or just accept there'd be a split between the 2 systems where some games I'd need to just load up my Xbox even though a version exists on Switch. I chose the latter and it was the wrong choice. Granted if I had the info I know now back then I wouldn't have bought a Series X at all and on the Xbox side of things just continue using my XB1 until it died.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

FishyS

Last year I bought 2 pairs of vouchers since last year was such an insanely packed year. Even with Nintendo games I try to wait for a sale but there are usually at least a couple a year I 'need' day 1. And I buy mainly digital so vouchers are nice.

One thing that annoys me about the voucher program is that it sticks in the $50 games even though the vouchers are themselves $50. If there were vouchers to get $10 off of e.g. Mario vs DK also I would have been much more interested, but using a current voucher on it seems a bit like an insult.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

PikminMarioKirby

Yeah I love the vouchers, @Ralizah makes a great point, because it is useful having a Day 1 discount which for Nintendo is almost unheard of. With my vouchers I pre ordered Mario Wonder, and with the other I pre-ordered Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. I don't think I got any games Day 1 in between then, so it's going to be well over half a year without getting a Day 1/pre-order game. Which is somewhat normal for me, but idk about other people

Dogorilla

The only time I've used the vouchers was for Pokemon Shield and Animal Crossing, because I wanted a digital copy of AC so I could keep playing it longterm more easily. (Although now that I haven't really played it for a couple of years I'd probably rather have it physically in hindsight). I think the vouchers are a bit pointless unless you really want digital copies of games because they cost £42 per game IIRC, and you can almost always find physical copies for around that price (and some of the games that are eligible for vouchers cost £39.99 on the eShop anyway!)

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Haruki_NLI

Over here the vouchers are certainly a better deal, at £84.99, and most Nintendo games are £50. It includes anything Nintendo published, as well as some cheaper things for £40, and also Smash and TOTK at £60.

So it's a £15 saving over two games basically. Plus the voucher purchase is gold points to make the next one cheaper

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@PikminMarioKirby I'd say the important things are to be sure two games you'll want to use them on come out in the release window of your voucher availability and also, as @FishyS alludes to, that they're expensive enough that you're actually getting a deal on the games.

@Dogorilla I don't know about the feasibility of the program in the UK, but in the States, you absolutely can't get day one Nintendo releases for under MSRP in normal circumstances. If you use them on $60 games, you're saving $20. More if you buy them with discounted eshop credit, which is weirdly common for Nintendo store credit. Even in a modest eshop credit sale, you can use this to save $30 across both games, which is roughly 1/4th the total cost of the games saved. Day one.

Ironically, despite being the most physical-friendly platform holder, I find Nintendo is the one who provides the best incentives for purchasing their new games digitally.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PikminMarioKirby

@Ralizah True. I wanted to make sure that TTYD would release in time when I got my vouchers, so I just waited until right before Wonder released to make sure the vouchers would stay redeemable for as long as possible. TTYD ended up releasing in May, but I wanted to play it safe just in case.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic