Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 361 to 380 of 453

IanMage

WaltzElf wrote:

bboy2970 wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

pogocoop wrote:

This might have been good if sony came up with at least 1 new idea. :/

I don't know of any other handheld that approaches the power of the NGP.. do you? No, didn't think so. So there's that one new idea you wanted (there's actually a lot of new ideas with the NGP, but I figured I'd state the obvious first).

Oh come on. More power isn't really an "idea." Obviously it was gonna be powerful, it was inevitable. The only really really new thing I can see on this machine is the rear touch pad which I don't think is gonna see very much use by devs.

Improvements are still innovation. Improvements come from the same money that funds new technology development - the R & D department of a company. The same types of people worked on the NGP's insides that came up with the 3DS' top screen.

Sliced bread was an innovation over big heavy chunks that people had to cut themselves. A Pentium processor was an innovation over a 486.

Dual analogue sticks are an innovation for handhelds. Finally we can have console-quality FPSers. 3G on a dedicated handheld console is an innovation that will greatly improve its connectivity.

As for the back touch pad? Look at it the other way - as nice as 3D is, there's nothing to suggest, yet, that 3D is going to improve the quality of games on the 3DS either, or even that developers have any idea how to make a decent 3D game. For all we know, 3D is just going to me the same kind of gimmick that led to waggle controls in just about every 3rd party Wii game, only instead of a sore arm, the 3DS sends people blind.

Of course, I'm being overly negative here towards the 3DS - in reality I think it's an exciting, innovative product. But to claim that Sony's NGP doesn't stand up on its own as a completely new handheld gaming console is just as silly.

I don't know of any other handheld that approaches the price of the NGP.. do you? They said it won't be $600... whew! What a relief! It'll probably be around $400-$500... I'll be honest though, and admit that I am envious of the NGP's graphical power, but I'm still going to stick with the 3DS; I'm buying it on day one.

3DS friend code: 1160-9727-7802
Wii U ID: ianmage1
I'm working on an animated feature film called "WhiteLand." Check out my progress: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1

armoredghor

innovation-something new or different introduced.
People, if we're gonna keep arguing over innovation. Let's at least consider that it's innovation to gaming.
@Waltzelf if you want keep arguing that nintendo didn't innovate anything because it was seen elsewhere and that sony's higher graphics capabilities are innovation, then either every game that has introduced a new plot, graphics or had a different control scheme is innovation or we have never had innovation since the dawn of gaming because it's been seen somewhere else before. now can we actually get back on topic?

armoredghor

Rob_mc_1

supernin10do wrote:

They said it won't be $600... whew! What a relief!

$599.99 is also not $600.

♠♦♣

Magi

WaltzElf wrote:

...There are fewer $1 million lamborghinis sold then $20000 toyotas, but lamborghini isn't 'losing' anything. Different markets.

A perfectly appropriate and awesome analogy. Kudos!

and tbh, it could have been the very first point and then this thread coulda been locked. cyclical arguements are cyclical.

Magi

RebeccaGunn

People seem to forget, Sony's a big ol company that has a large electronics arm, and can do R&D on new technology very easily. So they can make more new stuff, as theres more chance of them using the tech in other systems as well as their consoles (see: Blu-Ray)

Nintendo are still purely in the games market, so they watch what other companies are offering and pick up on whatever suits their design (with a few exceptions). So the odds of them creating the tech to begin with is pretty low. Egro this whole "who made it first" business is silly, because one is a video games giant and another is a electronics giant that just happens to have a video game division. Besides, you can innovate till the cows come home, but it won't mean jack till you find something that suits your amazing new invention.

IMO; I'm not going to hate on the NGP, I owned a PSP last gen and it was honestly a good system. But it was let down HORRIBLY by Sony. If ever there was a console equivalent of a latchkey kid, the PSP was it. The system had so much potential, and it could of easily squashed the DS had Sony played it's cards right, in the end it did fine (it's by far the most successful Non-Nintendo handheld) but they never took enough interest in the system to help sales till it was too late in the cycle.

For me the NGP's performance will depend very strongly on the software, theres no doubt that this systems an absolute powerhouse and I'm sure it'll be made to Sony's high standards, but the games for this system are what'll really matter. Because once the launch hype and graphic/gadget fans have picked up the system, there needs to be good original NGP only games to keep them and the rest of the market interested. Ports of PS3 games and the like are not gonna cut it

RebeccaGunn

RoyalBlur

WaveBoy wrote:

Sony's Dual analog and Rumble feedback are Nintendo's ideas that Sony wanted to improve on. It's pretty damn easy for anyone to copy an actual innovation and improve on it. And creating a new portable with even greater specs and graphics isn't what I'd call an innovation, it's a predictable upgrade that happens with every new system. Sony's PSP2 hasn't made any real exciting innovations.

And I remember getting the dual shock for the PSX the day it was released, and I managed to snag a white one hehe. Right off the bat I wasn't impressed. Sony's sticks are far too loose compared the the N64's sturdier and more tactical feeling analog stick which gave out amazing precision with Mario in Super Mario 64 for ex. But Sony's Rumble was more impressive, and it should of been.

Anyways, the only innovation for the PSP2 really is the touch screen on the back....Which again, Nintendo already did with the 3DS but on the front, yet Sony decided to just throw one on the back to spice things up a bit, but it's hardly a new innovation to gaming But I must say it does look pretty neat. But I can't see it being used that much in games. i think Sony just threw it in there to say "Hey, look what we con do" It feels like what they did with Sony Move....No real support outside of family mini party games.

And adding in a 2nd analog stick? Wow....Talk about taking your breath away.lol Dual Analog imo is old news. It makes aiming feel clunky, unengaging and archiac and boring. But hey that's just me. Wii Pointer controls like in Metroid Prime 3 and even stylus controls blow it away imo, but hey we've all got our preferences, so the inclusion of a 2nd analog stick is great for those gamers out there that still love that control method, i personally can't stand it anymore. And I can see why Nintendo didn't bother with it for the 3DS, because they too figure it's incredibly dated. Stylus controls have taken it's place and for good reason..

Anyways, so far game-wise the PSP2 seems unnapealing based on the trailor. But I'm sure if there a few or more games coming out for it that catch my interested I'll snag one for myself.

Amen, man! You spoken the truth in everyway possible.

Seriously, I couldn't given a crap about Sony at the moment although the NGP is far better than their PSP phone which is basically a phone with a few old school Sony PS games on from what I've seen. Nintendo is just a by far a better gaming alternative right now as the 3DS is plainly wonderful. I think that by this time next year it'll be a lot better to buy the Sony NGP as it'll have a much better game library by then.

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

My Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/royalusher

3DS FC: 2234-7146-6576

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

theblackdragon

TokyoRed wrote:

Did you completely miss the part of page 19 wherein myself, WaltzElf, zezhyrule, and HolyMackerel poked holes in his entire argument?

TokyoRed wrote:

Seriously, I couldn't given a crap about Sony at the moment

oh, that explains it.
sorry zezzy :3

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

RoyalBlur

Yes, I read it blackdragon. Still, I'm a Nintendo fanboy by bloody mary. I'm not going to just cowtow over to Sony PlayStation so easily. Even my friend Erik Griffin who is was once a diehard Sony fan is spewing at Sony over the NGP right now and with him coming over to the Nintendo side of the fence how would it look for me to cozy up with Sony?

Anyway, I didn't even say anything nasty about Sony. I did say that the NGP would be a better purchase by this same time next year. Geez, please read what I wrote. I own a PSP 3000 for pete's sake and I did say I was impressed with the Near app on the NGP. I'm just not ready to pull out the cash for the NGP just yet until I can actually have time to know more about it and see what kind of system it'll be. My PSP 3000 sits and collects dust due to the fact it isn't as enjoyable as the DS. It's not about graphical power or being hip that Sony keeps forgetting. Nintendo has always been the king of handhelds, even IGN.com is putting forth that argument and Sony nor Apple can dethrone the Big N.

One thing that Sony really needs to get right is price. If they price the Sony NGP appropriately then they'll succeed. If not then it won't help the NGP any.

The only true and real innovation for the NGP really is the backside touch screen which Nintendo originally introduce with the debut and dawn of the DS back in the day. Sony is only use the touch screen as a gimmick to attract those who were won by the Nintendo 3DS. I can't see it being used that by game developers who are already ditching the PSP for the 3DS (i.e. Marvel dumped the PSP to do Thor on the 3DS).

Edited on by RoyalBlur

Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD's servant? Isaiah 42:19

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

LzWinky

Fanboys will be fanboys I suppose...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

theblackdragon

@TokyoRed: i don't care about your public persona or how you want to look in front of people you're attempting to impress, nor do i care about your eventual plans for a 3DS or a PSP2/NGP. WaveBoy's argument contained factual inaccuracies, and you praised him as speaking the truth when he was in fact sorely misinformed. perhaps you are the one who needs to read what was written. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

James

TokyoRed wrote:

Even my friend Erik Griffin who is was once a diehard Sony fan is spewing at Sony over the NGP right now and with him coming over to the Nintendo side of the fence how would it look for me to cozy up with Sony?

Good Lord. Why did nobody inform me things had become this serious?!

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

zezhyrule

James Newton wrote:

TokyoRed wrote:

Even my friend Erik Griffin who is was once a diehard Sony fan is spewing at Sony over the NGP right now and with him coming over to the Nintendo side of the fence how would it look for me to cozy up with Sony?

lol

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

LzWinky

James Newton wrote:

TokyoRed wrote:

If you think that's bad, just wait until the price is announced. Then we'll see who hops the fence to Nintendo, who sticks with Sony, and who doesn't really give a crap either way. I think the latter will be the majority

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

RoyalBlur

theblackdragon wrote:

@TokyoRed: i don't care about your public persona or how you want to look in front of people you're attempting to impress, nor do i care about your eventual plans for a 3DS or a PSP2/NGP. WaveBoy's argument contained factual inaccuracies, and you praised him as speaking the truth when he was in fact sorely misinformed. perhaps you are the one who needs to read what was written. :3

With all due respect blackdragon I read his post and yours and yes you did have some nice points. Yet, are you saying that Sony is better than Nintendo?

My whole point is that no matter what we owe the rise of the handheld to Nintendo. Also, the Nintendo 3DS is quite innovative and very much interesting right? How much more interesting is the Sony NGP? Oh and btw no I'm not trying to impress my friends. It's because of my friends that I bought my bloody PSP 3000 and now they've all ditched them and are laughing at me for buying one. Okay, but I don't need to spill my troubles at you but at lest you can understand my agony and give me a break.

Here perhaps this will explain my point:
[youtube:AEOTQpBwVpc]

So if you watched that then you get where I'm coming from as that gentlemen basically explains where I'm coming from.

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

CanisWolfred

@TokyoRed

So you're saying the PSP2/NGP has not changed your mind about the 3DS? Good to know.

I wonder what Sony intends to do to get Japanese gamer behind the PSP2? I'm sure most of them probably don't give a rats arse about Uncharted or Killzone, so they'll have to come up with something if they want it to at least match the sales of the first PSP. I hear they're bringing Dark Souls to the PSP2, which would be a must-buy in my book, but I'm sure they can't rely on just that. Hopefully they'll have something by E3.

Oh, and it better be region free. I've already been burned by Nintendo, I don't need Sony screwing things up with Region-Locking too.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RoyalBlur

Mickeymac wrote:

@TokyoRed

So you're saying the PSP2/NGP has not changed your mind about the 3DS? Good to know.

I wonder what Sony intends to do to get Japanese gamer behind the PSP2? I'm sure most of them probably don't give a rats arse about Uncharted or Killzone, so they'll have to come up with something if they want it to at least match the sales of the first PSP. I hear they're bringing Dark Souls to the PSP2, which would be a must-buy in my book, but I'm sure they can't rely on just that. Hopefully they'll have something by E3.

Oh, and it better be region free. I've already been burned by Nintendo, I don't need Sony screwing things up with Region-Locking too.

Yo fro! You're my homeboy Mickeymac. Nothing will EVER keep me from tossing my support behind the 3DS, nothing that is aside from death, catastrophe, financial crisis, forces of nature or supernatural kaboom. Okay, so you get the idea eh?

Yes Mickeymac, I think that Sony will pull out all the guns at E3. Personally I hope thy announce a Sly Cooper game for the Sony NGP along with a coolio Ratchet and Clank game. Perhaps they'll unveil Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Dead although Disney claims that they killed project. There is no way they could have killed it. That game looked so good.

Personally, E3 could actually be a deadheat between Nintendo and Sony as I'm sure the Sony NGP and Nintendo 3DS will have a killer showing at E3 this year. It'll be like last years ComicCon which was killer with Prince of Persia, Alice in Wonderland, Star Wars The Clone Wars, Young Justice and Green Lantern all crammed in.

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

theblackdragon

@TokyoRed: i'm going to explain this to you once, and then every time you respond to me clearly not getting it (which I'm starting to get the feeling will happen), I'm going to redirect you to this comment.

You said

TokyoRed wrote:

But WaveBoy had been talking about innovations and the big crux of his argument were the dual analog feature and the rumble feature, both of which he claimed Nintendo had first implemented. However, between the four of us I already mentioned, we stated that (a) dual analog was indeed Sony's innovation, and (b) force feedback has been associated with video games since the 1970's. Therefore, since you'd said he'd spoken the "truth", I replied with

theblackdragon wrote:

Did you completely miss the part of page 19 wherein myself, WaltzElf, HolyMackerel, and zezhyrule poked holes in his entire argument?

and then i called attention to the fact that you

TokyoRed wrote:

Seriously, I couldn't given a crap about Sony at the moment

which probably explains why you missed all of page 19.

I don't know what you're rambling about now, nor do i care. I'm not watching your video and i don't give a rat's a** what guy at IGN you're friends with or not and/or what he thinks of you for keeping up with his opinion(s) on the internet as opposed to holding your own opinions about stuff. I'm not talking about fanboying either, or whether Sony and/or their products are better than Nintendo. I am attempting to cull the spread of misinformation, but you seem to be more in the mood for a flat-out argument than you are for reading comprehension. :/

BEST THREAD EVER

RoyalBlur

Thanks blackdragon. I'm cool with your comment as I get where you're coming from. You're right about what Sony introduced with the dual analogues and the rumble features. Thx.

theblackdragon wrote:

...I don't know what you're rambling about now...

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble and I'm just going to say it once more. I'm going to get 3DS now God willing and wait and see how the NGP turns out. If it has a good showing at E3 and gets a good price Sony will have a happy camper in me.
I also appreciate your effort to kill the spread of misinformation as that is a problem on all levels of society. BTW you're totally cool BlackDragon. Your personality reminds me of Sakura Haruno. I hope I didn't crap you off with my thick to reach fanboy skull.
this thread is bad enough with just Sony and Nintendo, let's not add world politics to the mix -- TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Twitter.com/ToyKoRedDawN

Bankai

TokyoRed - I don't think you quite understand that being a fanboy does not mean that when you make up crap about the Nintendo, it magically becomes true.

Also, I don't think anyone in here is claiming the NGP is BETTER than the 3DS. In fact, I think most people believe it to be the other way around (personlly I'm withholding that judgement until I actually see the NGP for myself). People are simply pointing out that 1) Nintendo is not as innovative as fanboys such as yourself like to believe, and 2) Sony is not "ripping off," "copying" - or whatever you want to call it - anyone.

Notice there's no mention of quality in there at all? I've seen some amazingly innovative products in my time that sucked to use. And some completely unoriginal products that were amazing.

So I'm done with this argument. Between just about everyone, and TBD's great summary up there, the point has been made. If you wish to continue raging on the NGP - be my guest, but come up with some new reasons for it that aren't factually incorrect.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.