Forums

Topic: Opinions of PSP2 (NGP)

Posts 341 to 360 of 453

ItsFuzzyPickles

Why hasn't this thread been moved to the Other Gaming Thread yet? This is a handheld system from Sony, not Nintendo and I'm surprised no one has noticed this.

ItsFuzzyPickles

Switch Friend Code: SW-1409-9782-5984 | Nintendo Network ID: astarisborn94 | Twitter:

theblackdragon

Limelight+788 wrote:

Why hasn't this thread been moved to the Other Gaming Thread yet? This is a handheld system from Sony, not Nintendo and I'm surprised no one has noticed this.

looks like someone missed the memo :/

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bankai

bboy2970 wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

pogocoop wrote:

This might have been good if sony came up with at least 1 new idea. :/

I don't know of any other handheld that approaches the power of the NGP.. do you? No, didn't think so. So there's that one new idea you wanted (there's actually a lot of new ideas with the NGP, but I figured I'd state the obvious first).

Oh come on. More power isn't really an "idea." Obviously it was gonna be powerful, it was inevitable. The only really really new thing I can see on this machine is the rear touch pad which I don't think is gonna see very much use by devs.

Improvements are still innovation. Improvements come from the same money that funds new technology development - the R & D department of a company. The same types of people worked on the NGP's insides that came up with the 3DS' top screen.

Sliced bread was an innovation over big heavy chunks that people had to cut themselves. A Pentium processor was an innovation over a 486.

Dual analogue sticks are an innovation for handhelds. Finally we can have console-quality FPSers. 3G on a dedicated handheld console is an innovation that will greatly improve its connectivity.

As for the back touch pad? Look at it the other way - as nice as 3D is, there's nothing to suggest, yet, that 3D is going to improve the quality of games on the 3DS either, or even that developers have any idea how to make a decent 3D game. For all we know, 3D is just going to me the same kind of gimmick that led to waggle controls in just about every 3rd party Wii game, only instead of a sore arm, the 3DS sends people blind.

Of course, I'm being overly negative here towards the 3DS - in reality I think it's an exciting, innovative product. But to claim that Sony's NGP doesn't stand up on its own as a completely new handheld gaming console is just as silly.

irken004

3DS = 3D and great first party titles.
NGP = Dual analogs, potential for great home-console-like controls

EHHHH... idk which one I'd buy yet.

bboy2970

irken004 wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

Get both You really can't go wrong that way.

I lack money for either of them currently

Well then do what I'm gonna do, get just a 3DS!

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

theblackdragon

I'm pretty sure i've read before while doing my own research during a similar 'sony ripped everyone else off' argument that Sony was indeed the first with a dual analog controller setup, and single analog has been around almost since the dawn of video gaming, so Nintendo didn't come up with that either. same for force feedback, which was first used in arcade games back in the 70's -- Sega was the first up with that.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

Slapshot

I would recommend buying a 3DS instead of waiting out for the NGP to anyone. Sony usually has a weak line-up at launch, not that 3DS does either, but by the time NGP gets here and gains some games the price will be dropped and then you can afford to get both.

I think one thing that has really been overlooked here is that with NGP being so powerful, how is the battery life not like an hour or two max? Instead the battery life is estimated to be longer than 3DS, and that is truly impressive in my book.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

My Nintendo: Slapshot82 | Nintendo Network ID: Slapshot82 | Twitter:

SezeMakto

Unless the Wii 2 comes out soon, the 3DS is the next Nintendo console, I have my top 20 Wii Games, and I don't think many more aaa games are coming. 3D is a Trojan horse that will be regulated mostly to movies / cut scenes more and more as the 3DS needs that processing power more for better games than an 3D enhancement that does little to improve gaming and that narrow sweet spot is bothersome. The games will be better than the NGP, which is why Nintendo has owned the portable space since 1989. 3DS will always be cheaper than the NGP which usually means it will sell more too.

However, I will buy a NGP just for the 5" oled screen and the it only does everything potential. Garner Lee from shack news is right, its the gamers iPad that will have some good games, they should play up the PS3 media connection, the idea of finishing PS3 games (started on) on the go is awesome, and it will be the best portable movie machine known to man for the money.

I'm excited for the 3DS as its the next Nintendo thing, but the potential of the NGP is all about it only does everything plus gaming and is portable. like a souped up android device with PS3 level games. its a whole other kind of machine than the 3DS.

Edited on by SezeMakto

SezeMakto

zezhyrule

WaveBoy wrote:

Sony's Dual analog and Rumble feedback are Nintendo's ideas that Sony wanted to improve on.

I'm sorry, can you show me the Nintendo console that had Dual Analog sticks or vibration feedback before the Dualshock? Of course after checking, it seems Nintendo released the Rumble pack around 4mon before the Dualshock was available... Then again, is improving a bad thing? You act like it is. No extra cost pack needed for the controller, and more games supported the dualshock. So Sony won with that much at least. Does it matter who made it first or rather which is better?

And creating a new portable with even greater specs and graphics isn't what I'd call an innovation, it's a predictable upgrade that happens with every new system. Sony's PSP2 hasn't made any real exciting innovations.

What's all of this talk of "innovation" I'm always hearing? It seems like the thing Nintendo fans are always clinging to, the thing Nintendo is good at. I'm sure WaltzElf has said plenty of times before, motion sensing and touch screens were not invented by Nintendo, they just decided to use that certain technology in their consoles. Really I don't give a darn about innovation, as long as it works and it's solid, I'm good with it.

Anyways, the only innovation for the PSP2 really is the touch screen on the back....No real support outside of family mini party games.

Really? They already showed off Uncharted and other games that use the touch pad on the back... Which, of course is not a screen.

And adding in a 2nd analog stick? Wow....Talk about taking your breath away.lol Dual Analog imo is old news. It makes aiming feel clunky, unengaging and archiac and boring. But hey that's just me. Wii Pointer controls like in Metroid Prime 3 and even stylus controls blow it away imo, but hey we've all got our preferences, so the inclusion of a 2nd analog stick is great for those gamers out there that still love that control method, i personally can't stand it anymore.

Weee opinion. I'm sure most gamers in the world would argue that dual analog controls are solid and work great, but like I said opinion. And I'd love to see someone put pointer controls on a portable... I'd say dual analog would be way more functional in that regard. And we've already learned with Apple that styli are not needed.

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

Bankai

I'm sure WaltzElf has said plenty of times before, motion sensing and touch screens were not invented by Nintendo, they just decided to use that certain technology in their consoles.

I have. And I've already said that glasses-free 3D is not actually Nintendo's technology either. I'm fairly certain it's Sharp's. If not Sharp than another Japanese TV electronics vendor. There's a degree of innovation in making it work in a gaming console, to be sure. I reckon the same degree of innovation that it took to figure out how to cram a PS3 + OLED screen in a handheld.

Of course, the very next post will be someone claiming Nintendo is innovative and Sony is not. Cycle begins anew.

Edit: Also, I think everyone will find force feedback (aka the stuff powering "rumble packs") originated in the arcade first. If not the exact technology elements, then in concept at least, it was around long before the N64.

That is just a vague memory, though, I could well be wrong on the last one.

Edited on by Bankai

HolyMackerel

WaltzElf wrote:

And I've already said that glasses-free 3D is not actually Nintendo's technology either. I'm fairly certain it's Sharp's. If not Sharp than another Japanese TV electronics vendor.

The first I heard of it was from Sharp, but now even Sony is manufacturing autostereoscopic televisions. Last year they came out with one that has a pretty wide effective viewing angle (though still not wide enough imo). The technology is not brand-specific - either that, or Sharp is making boatloads out of licensing deals.

WaltzElf wrote:

There's a degree of innovation in making it work in a gaming console, to be sure. I reckon the same degree of innovation that it took to figure out how to cram a PS3 + OLED screen in a handheld.

Not to mention the camera, rear touch pad, the OLED is a touch screen and, most importantly, having a usable battery life on the thing! It's almost as feature-crammed as the 3DS. Very impressive.

WaltzElf wrote:

Edit: Also, I think everyone will find force feedback (aka the stuff powering "rumble packs") originated in the arcade first. If not the exact technology elements, then in concept at least, it was around long before the N64.

That is just a vague memory, though, I could well be wrong on the last one.

Yep, IIRC Token Girl already mentioned force feedback was invented by Sega for arcades in the 70s. I'd say Nintendo's most important game hardware invention (innovation?) was the D-pad on the Famicom.

HolyMackerel

theblackdragon

@HM: When did I become Token Girl? Not that she's a bad person to potentially be, lol, but my comment is toward the top of this very page for crying out loud. :3

BEST THREAD EVER

HolyMackerel

@theblackdragon Oh man, sorry. It seemed like an old comment and I forgot who wrote it. WaltzElf missed/forgot your comment too. Weird!

Let's just hope the NGP doesn't have Ridge Racer as a launch title...

HolyMackerel

y2josh

@HM: As long as Furry Legends is a launch title I'll be happy... Must play Furry Legends... Must play...

Untitled

this is just a joke because of the ad i have been seeing for it all day

y2josh

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.