Forums

Topic: New Super Mario Bros 2

Posts 921 to 940 of 1,444

TeeJay

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

He's not surprised. He's stated before that's exactly what he was expecting.

So then, why complain? I mean, if you buy something knowing exactly what you're getting into, how can you complain about it anyway?

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

Hokori

I started over so I can make it sparkle

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

Retro_on_theGo

TeeJay wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

He's not surprised. He's stated before that's exactly what he was expecting.

[/div]

So then, why complain? I mean, if you buy something knowing exactly what you're getting into, how can you complain about it anyway?

It wasn't like he was complaining really. He was just answering my question. If anything I'd be more inclined to view it as constructive criticism to the game?

Chrono_Cross

TeeJay wrote:

Why are you surprised? I mean, The NL review stated multiple times that it doesn't do much that's actually new. It's not like this was a big secret.

I only read reviews when I'm not too sure about a new game coming out. And those reviews that I read are never NL's.

I knew there wouldn't be much new ideas but I bought the game anyway because I love my 2D Mario games. And since I knew what to expect I adjusted my expectations accordingly and I still enjoy the game a lot.

My expectations were so low, all of the small new ideas were surprising as I didn't expect them. But overall it's a pretty rehashed expansion. Just like Mario Tennis Open, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land were.

TeeJay wrote:

I'm not the one to judge a game without playing it first. For buying this for $40 and having the word "New!" in the title, it's not very new.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

e-love

I lowered my expectations way before I bought mine. Like I said, presentation wise, 90% of it is lazy. However the level designs are really clever and well done.

✰ not around as much as I used to be ✰

Undead_terror

well I beat the game, now all im trying to do is get all exits, all star/moon coins, max out my lives and get a million coins.Also gonna be using luigi for the rest of the game.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

kobe1724

This game is amazing, but 2 things I've noticed are: The 3D effect is a complete failure, the backgrounds become blurry, so there's not point, but I don't use it anyway, so it's not a big deal; and multiplayer has crazy bad lag, and it's not so fun. I was right next to my friend, and it lagged like there was no tomorrow. also, you can't even pick up your friend like in NSMB Wii. But anyway, these are all parts of the game that I don't use anyway. Loving the game so far!

3DS FC: 4296-3162-1562100% completion on The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and Super Mario 3D Land.If you want a good challenge, find me on Mario Kart 7.

grumblebuzzz

The 3D blurs the background because it is supposed to create the illusion that the objects in the background are very far away. It's a neat effect, but I agree with some people that it does blur them a little too much. I like it though and always play with it on because it makes the things in the foreground more crisp and full of depth.

Edited on by grumblebuzzz

When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.

GTWarrior77

Would I have liked to see something a bit more creative and out of the box? Absolutely! But at the end of the day I am having tons of fun with this game. And the last time I checked, that's what gaming is all about.

"As a man thinketh, so he is"
WiiU NNID: GTKing77

GTWarrior77

I rather like the 3D blur effect. With the 3D blur switched off the screen gets a bit busy for me. But with the the background blurred out, Mario pops out and is easier to follow around the screen, especially when doing speed runs.

Edited on by GTWarrior77

"As a man thinketh, so he is"
WiiU NNID: GTKing77

xBASSxMONSTAx

Who's got 5 shiny gold stars on there save file yet?

You get this According to IGN by:

1.Clear the Game (beat world 6)
2.Gather all Star coins in Worlds 1-6 and Mushroom/Flower Worlds
3.Gather all Moon Coins in the Star World
4.Open all paths (the ones that cost 5 coins, as well as finding all hidden exits)
5. Get 3 crowns (this means getting 1110 extra lives - 1000 1 crown, 1100 2 crowns, 1110 3 crowns)

I have done all the above and i have double checked every world and it's all been done, but still only have 4 stars? I am going mad trying to find out what else I need to do. Any idea's?

Edit

Here are pics of each world: have I missed a secret path?

World Star
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/6545/img1680yd.jpg

World Flower
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/540/img1679z.jpg

World Mushroom
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2268/img1678s.jpg

World 6
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4122/img1677e.jpg

World 5
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/8959/img1676bs.jpg

World 4
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9992/img1675an.jpg

World 3
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4849/img1674mw.jpg

World 2
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9323/img1673ys.jpg

World 1
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3541/img1672q.jpg

Edited on by xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Tasuki

Well I made it to the third world and I have to say that this game is alot better than I thought but maybes thats cause I had low expectations. For those that say its just rehash and its just like NSMB and Mario games need to be more original blah blah blah honestly that can be said about any game that has a series, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Halo, GTA etc etc etc. So I dont know why all the hate for Mario games not adding anything new.

Now that that is outta my system I will say that while granted the number of extra lives is a bit extreme (I believe I have 50 something and I am in world 3) but I kinda expected that due to all the coins but the addition of grabbing all the coins is a neat little twist that breathed a bit of fresh air into this series. (BTW has anyone figured out why Mario needs all these coins? Is he saving up for some ultra expensive mustache wax or something?) Also I have to say that I like what they did for the battles with the Kooplings. I was excited to see the return of the Kooplings in SM3DL but then when I had to fight them I was disappointed cause their tactics seemed to just be the same ones in SMB3 and SMW.

Anyway I am going to stop so this doesn't sound like a review and it sets of the Dragon signal (my apologies if this sounds like a review). I find this game alot better than NSMBW for some reason I was disappointed with NSMBW I cant put my finger on why but I just was. But as far as this game goes I am very pleased with it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Undead_terror

xBASSxMONSTAx wrote:

Who's got 5 shiny gold stars on there save file yet?

You get this According to IGN by:

1.Clear the Game (beat world 6)
2.Gather all Star coins in Worlds 1-6 and Mushroom/Flower Worlds
3.Gather all Moon Coins in the Star World
4.Open all paths (the ones that cost 5 coins, as well as finding all hidden exits)
5. Get 3 crowns (this means getting 1110 extra lives - 1000 1 crown, 1100 2 crowns, 1110 3 crowns)

I have done all the above and i have double checked every world and it's all been done, but still only have 4 stars? I am going mad trying to find out what else I need to do. Any idea's?

you need 1 million coins.

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

xBASSxMONSTAx

Never mind. Done it. It was world 3 haunted house level. I completed the level normally without the secret passage and now it's done. 5 stars to me.

But there not shiny?

According to IGN: To get shiny stars you need to complete all levels without using shiny raccoon suit.

How do you know what level you used the raccoon suit on though? I can't remember what levels I did use it on.

Edited on by xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Terave

wobee wrote:

Terave wrote:

Can somebody give me a few reasons to get this game and why it isnt 'yet another Mario game'?

[/div]

It is another Mario game. Do you enjoy Mario games? If yes, buy it. If no, do not buy it. Tough decision, I know.

It isnt a hard decision, I know. But it this looks just like SM3DL very soulless. When I first played SM3DL, I felt really disappointed for it being so boring. Does the same happen with this one? I know it can be a fun game, heck, SM3DL is fun, but just plain and simple and not worth the full price.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

Whopper744

Terave wrote:

wobee wrote:

Terave wrote:

Can somebody give me a few reasons to get this game and why it isnt 'yet another Mario game'?

[/div]

[/div]

It is another Mario game. Do you enjoy Mario games? If yes, buy it. If no, do not buy it. Tough decision, I know.

[/div]

It isnt a hard decision, I know. But it this looks just like SM3DL very soulless. When I first played SM3DL, I felt really disappointed for it being so boring. Does the same happen with this one? I know it can be a fun game, heck, SM3DL is fun, but just plain and simple and not worth the full price.

One thing I saw in SM3DL and NSMB2 is that I think they try to hard to be nostalgic. To the point where it's not that original.
The old school looking maps can be sort of cool, but sometimes just too plain. Honestly, I prefer an Adventure field of some sort of the 3D games such as Galaxy, anyway.
The Tanooki (spelled that wrong I know) suit is great, but I feel like they are trying to plaster artwork of it everywhere just to try to grab the attention of SMB3 fans.

They seem to be relying too much on past successes and not on trying to make something new.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744

Twitter: @Whopper744games

online games include: Mario Kart 8, Mario Kart 7, Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, Super Mario Maker and Splatoon.
Try out my Super Mario Maker stages at well! Here's one to start : F98B-0000-0022-0753
(used to be Joshers744...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

Terave

Joshers744 wrote:

Terave wrote:

wobee wrote:

Terave wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

One thing I saw in SM3DL and NSMB2 is that I think they try to hard to be nostalgic. To the point where it's not that original.
The old school looking maps can be sort of cool, but sometimes just too plain. Honestly, I prefer an Adventure field of some sort of the 3D games such as Galaxy, anyway.
The Tanooki (spelled that wrong I know) suit is great, but I feel like they are trying to plaster artwork of it everywhere just to try to grab the attention of SMB3 fans.

They seem to be relying too much on past successes and not on trying to make something new.

That's my main complaint with the latest installments to the Mario franchise. Of course, there are people saying that you shouldn't fix something that isnt broken, but making games that looks very similar to other games is just meh. It doesnt have to be revolutionary like Mario 64, but at least give u something original.

Changed name: Old name was JDT!
Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.
3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496

19Robb92

Definitely don't agree with some of you guys about the 3D effect. It's really crappy IMO. Blurring the background is not a good way to do it, Mutant Mudds did a WAY better job using 3D in a 2D space than this game. It looks horrible and just destroys the scenery IMO.

Terave wrote:

I'd say it's not worth full price. But if you can find it cheap, buy it.

I had that exact same feeling fro 3D Land. I didn't even finish all the secret worlds in that game. I'm having way more fun with this, level design is great and the coin collecting, while pretty pointless, ends up being rather addictive. Especially since you can always see your coin count in the bottom corner.

I'm liking it a lot more than 3D Land at the moment.

Edited on by 19Robb92

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.