Mario Kart 8 Leads Nintendo Nominees in Golden Joystick Awards Voting

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hoping to win the race

Nintendo's enjoyed a decent run in game award ceremonies during 2014, just reward for some world class titles that have been released in recent times. The company and exclusives on its hardware now have chances for more high-profile gongs in the upcoming Golden Joystick Awards.

Nintendo missed out on any wins in last year's event, but there are plenty of opportunities this time around — all awards are voted for by the public. In total there are 26 nominations related to Nintendo systems across 12 categories, a very decent haul. You can see the relevant nominees below, in which we've also included third party efforts either exclusive or significant to Nintendo systems.

Best Original Game

Shovel Knight

Most Wanted

The Legend of Zelda (Wii U)
Splatoon

Studio of the Year

Nintendo EAD

Game of the Year

Mario Kart 8
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D World

There are plenty of chances for the big N to celebrate some glory. You can view all of the details and — should you please — submit votes at the Golden Joystick website; voting closes on 20th October.

[via computerandvideogames.com]

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Zelda should pick up the best handheld game award but will probably lose out to something like Flappy Turd

Hero-of-WiiU

Hero-of-WiiU said:

I would say A link between worlds for storytelling but for a Zelda game, it didn't get interesting until the end.

Mario kart 8 audio was good but it really should go to DKC:TF or SM3DW. And I can not believe SM3DW isn't in visual design.

BensonUii

BensonUii said:

SM3DW (60fps) > MK8 (59fps). :p

Seriously, SM3DW and DKTF is significantly more beautiful than MK8.

MajinSoul

MajinSoul said:

How can MK8 compete with SM3DW in "GOTY"? SM3DW is from 2013. Also, best audio goes to DKCTF without a doubt. Best soundtrack ever.

Blast

Blast said:

I hope we win anything but considering how things are these days.... I won't be surprised if Nintendo doesn't win anything.

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

Mario Kart 8 on 150cc kills it for me. I am more into Donkey Kong. That game deserves an award. I still think it deserves better reviews than it got.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Fire Emblem: Awakening is not in the running for handheld game of the year? That makes me sad :( I hope Pokemon X/Y wins it then. I don't want to see ALBW win this award again, it's such an overrated game....

And it's in the running for game of the year? When there were much better 3DS games like Fire Emblem: Awakening that came out last year?

I don't get all the praise ALBW gets. I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I found it to be the most boring, uninspired Zelda game I have ever played.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Aviator It has some nominations, just hit up the official site links I gave. I just showed Nintendo or system exclusives (yes, I know Shovel Knight is also on PC!).

Artwark

Artwark said:

@Caryslan Didn't Fire Emblem won lots of awards at launch? Granted, I love Fire Emblem but personally, I won't mind it after all if you love the game, that's all that matters. ;)

Sentinator

Sentinator said:

@Palutena You should be getting an amiibo figure. I'd buy you <3

Come to think of it why is the concept for Amiibo not here? I think Nintendo can take it more places than Activision and Disney if they do it right. I suppose its because we haven't seen where they go with it yet. Still think it should win best concept.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

If recent history has taught us anything, Nintendo will get three awards tops and nothing more since these "award shows" are beyond biased.

rbygscrsedppbw

rbygscrsedppbw said:

@Caryslan but... Fire emblem was 2013, it was up for loads of awards last year. Also, I think albw deserves the nominations, it's okay if you didn't like it, but a lot of people did and I think it was a great game (though I want pokemon to win too)

KDChronos

KDChronos said:

I'm wondering that if SM3DW, ALBW, PokemonXY are nominated because they were launched on or after october last year?