"Mystery Travelers" Are Waiting to be Found in Wii Street U

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Hints point the way

Wii Street U has perhaps been forgotten a little since its initial arrival as a free download in early 2013, though the fact it was a freebie helped to make it the most downloaded Wii U eShop title ever in some regions — Google really is taking over the world. We suspect that downloads of the Google Maps / Street View-inspired app took a tumble once it had a price introduced. It's a neat app, nevertheless, and is useful as a means of showing off the GamePad as a 'window' into the world.

Nintendo isn't quite finished with it, as it's kicked a treasure hunt / challenge in the app via Miiverse. You can see some details from Toshiaki Suzuki below.

Hello, this is Toshiaki Suzuki from Nintendo.

We've confirmed that there are new mysterious travelers hidden in Wii Street U! Use the hints below by utilizing the Records button to find them!

Who are these mystery characters? That's for us all to find out. Will you be doing some virtual globetrotting to find these mystery travellers? If Mario isn't one of them we'd be amazed.

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Artwark

Artwark said:

What's with this street thing? isn't it enough that the 3DS is better with it than the Wii U?

Iggly

Iggly said:

Man it's been a while since I've used Wii Street U, I'll be sure to find these mystery travelers once I travel back to Canada this friday. ;)

rjejr

rjejr said:

Thought Wii U was getting Street Pass, oh well. Not sure this is enough to get me back on, they should have gone with the few dozen Pokemon like Google Maps had, I found a bunch of those.

Maladroit

Maladroit said:

I still use Wii Street U pretty often, like when I'm bored and don't feel like playing a game or something. I think it's a really cool piece of software and I'm glad they keep updating it. I only wish they could make it stop freezing up my Wii U.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Ok, so the top right looks like the giant statue of Christ in Brazil. And the bottom left is definitely a big Arabic temple of some sort I think but not definitely.

shigulicious

shigulicious said:

This is a cool way to introduce people to the app. It works well and is entertaining. Now, improve tvii please.

Jujuman

Jujuman said:

1. Is likely the LA cruise terminal.
2. Is the statute of Christ the Redeemer in Rio
3. Is the Taj Mahal; and
4. Is likely the Itsukushima Shrine.

Setrodox

Setrodox said:

The potential of Wii Street U treasure hunts really has my imagination running. Nintendo-themed geocaching? What if there were small, game tie-ins? I'm going to try it out!

Last I remember, you can't post screen shots on the Wii Street U MiiVerse. Is this still true?

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Well, I "visited" the Christ the Redeemer statue today. I didn't find anything, but even in low-quality pictures, the statue was breathtaking to look up at.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Huh.... Wait, is Wii Street U still free or are we having to pay for it now?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

It was originally free, but now there is a fee. Not sure about a continued usage fee. Probably not, though I'm not sure.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

Coolio! I've never even heard of Wii Street U, but I have a Wii U so I may as well try!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

My partner and I used it to show each other places where we grew up - quite the nostalgia trip and exciting to see that my favourite San Francisco taqueria is still there, though I got worried until I found it had moved across the street from the original location!