XType Plus Delayed in North America Due to Online Leaderboard Bug

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

High score table causes system lockups

Update 2:

Nintendo of Europe has issued the following statement:

Please be informed that the Wii U title "XType Plus" has been temporarily removed from Nintendo eShop due to an issue with online leaderboards which causes a critical error.

XType Plus was, however, available for a short time today and if this has been downloaded, we can confirm that the game can currently be played but updating highscores or accessing the online leaderboards won't be possible.

Nintendo are investigating this issue, we thank you for your patience and apologise for any inconvenience.

Update:

We've now been informed by Nintendo UK that this title has also been taken down from the EU eShop.

Original Article:

XType Plus was included in Nintendo's Download Update for North America today, but developer PhobosLab has been in touch to advise that the title won't be available as planned; our checks show that it's been left out from the Wii U eShop.

It's been held back due to a fault that's been discovered in the European release with the online leaderboards, which wasn't picked up in testing pre-release, as explained below.

Shortly after the EU launch we had people reporting hard lockups of the console every time they tried to access online functionality. We haven't seen these issues before, because it likely only happens with a few hundred entries in the highscore tables.

The decision has clearly been taken late, as shown by its inclusion in Nintendo of America's press release earlier today. The developer has promised to keep us informed when a fix has been discovered, and logic suggest that North America will need to wait until an update has been fully implemented.

Have you encountered this issue in the European version, or were you perhaps planning to pick it up today in North America? Let us know in the comments below.

9th_Sage

9th_Sage said:

That's too bad, but yeah....it's probably a good thing to hold it back until this bug that can 'hard lock' the console is eradicated. That's not a minor thing.

JustinH

JustinH said:

I was wondering what was going on. I'm pretty bummed — I was planning on giving this some time today. Bah.

So what's with the delay on Frederic: Resurrection of Music?

rjejr

rjejr said:

Now that's what I would call news.

Hard locks suck. Happens almost every time I start up WW HD from the quick menu if I have a disc in the system. Now I go into the full menu first, or try to remember to take the disc out.

brewsky

brewsky said:

Well...that is disappointing....It'll probably take at least two weeks for the game to finally be released.

Raiko

Raiko said:

A shame indeed. I enjoyed what little time I had playing it, but I could never access the leaderboards and after one go at each mode, the game was no longer playable. I had 5 crashes inside 10 minutes.

I hope they fix this soon as I do want to play more of it.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

Just have some patience. This game looks really fun and I'm sure they will work out the 'kinks' in no time! ;)

Insect_Prince

Insect_Prince said:

WiiU freezes every time I choose classic mode. Other mode works fine though. Seems good fun. Just hope they get this sorted asap.

RedDevilAde

RedDevilAde said:

Shame the makers of the Lego games aren't as proud f their outputs to ensure they fix bugs that lock up the console

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Are they planning to add off-tv play ? (The price is so cheap I might as well try it but I think off-tv should be a default feature even if I might not even use it).

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I downloaded it before it was taken off the shop, and it works fine without the online leaderboards....it's quite a fun game and well worth the cheap price. Hopefully it'll be patched soon, or another version will be made available to download.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Darn, I was just about to add monies for this game but I'll just have to wait. I bought Zelda II instead.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

why dont they just throw up a quick patch to disable internet stuff until they fix it? no interest in this game, but still

MAB

MAB said:

@ThomasBW84 Downloaded XType the minute it was put on the eShop. Yeah sure the leaderboard crashes but damn it's a good little arcade shooter... Lucky I nabbed this before they removed it ;)

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

For its price, I think the game has a fair amount of content. I don't think the classic mode rewards you enough for accurate shooting over focusing on just surviving, but the Plus mode does.

@Marioman64: They kind of already did - they disabled the servers, so the game can now be played by those who already bought it. I also think they did the right job removing it from the store until this issue is fixed, since selling games without the advertised features isn't a good idea.

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

I think the game looks well made (haven't played, NA area here) but ... it's essentially the same thing over and over and over. I mean... I wouldn't even mind it if it had something between each big bad boss. It'll entertain me to be sure but I know it's not going to be for long.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@MAB Yeah, I was planning to buy it, but by the time I got home from work I'd already written about its disappearance!

Shambo

Shambo said:

Thank you for your patience. Well, I'll look forward to this some more then ;)