Details of Bayonetta 2's Online Co-Op "Tag Climax" Mode Emerge

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

More risk, more reward

While Bayonetta 2 — like its predecessor — looks to be another high-intensity single player action experience, the Wii U exclusive is also set to include some online play through its two-player co-op "Tag Climax" mode. While it may not be integrated a great deal with the single player adventure, it seems like a potential fun extra.

Details of how it'll work have been outlined by Siliconera, and it sounds like an interesting prospect. Risk and reward seems to be at the core of the offering, while progress in the main campaign will open up more options in the online mode.

In stages that incorporate a mix of boss fights and horde battles you can either play with someone on your friend list, a random online player or even a CPU companion. You can dictate the time spent in the stages, and in "quick matches" you can also bet in-game currency (Halos in this case) with the other player over who'll get the better score. Setting stage difficulty sounds like the hearts equivalent in Kid Icarus: Uprising, meanwhile, in which betting more Halos will up the difficulty and increase rewards; failure brings to risk of losing this precious currency, naturally.

As for what stages are available, these will depend on the "Verse cards" that you've collected. It'll also likely be worthwhile to prioritise the single player campaign, too, as abilities and characters unlocked through the story are carried across into Tag Climax.

This seems, ultimately, like a fun arcade-like add-on, with the added benefit that success will be a way to boost your levels of in-game currency, allowing you to upgrade your abilities.

Do you like the sound of the Tag Climax online co-op mode in Bayonetta 2? Let us know in the comments below.

[via siliconera.com]

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

That screenshot gave me the devil may cry chills. I never played a Bayonetta game before, but this looks very interesting.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I assume these Verse cards will replace the Alfheim gates. I like the idea quite a lot, but I hope there will be some kind of level system so you can try looking for equal opponents (something like Level +1 whenever you buy an upgrade).

@Hy8rogen The team behind DMC is behind Bayonetta (well, most of them), so that stands to reason! ^_^

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Ok Nintendo/ Platinum Games, you have already given me diabetes at e3 with the bayonetta 1&2 bundle, no need to make the pot even sweeter with this :P

Online for the Wii U is going to be more active than ever this holiday.

ChemyNoSurfea

ChemyNoSurfea said:

I wish I could afford getting a Wii U + Games. My 3DS is demanding enough!
I'm going to persuade some friends into buying Bayo 2. I pretty much sold them MK8... Yes, they actually doubted MK8s greatness at first.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

Excited for this game! As the DmC series has gone down, this will be the stylish action game for me :D The release date can't come fast enough!

Emblem

Emblem said:

@Nintenjoe64 Yes there is offline multi-player, strange they didn't put it in the article since it was also confirmed today. One on gamepad and one on Pro pad.

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

@midnafanboy If its based on previous Warriors games then yes. Warriors Orochi Hyper 3 on Wii U even has online co-op and it rocks

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Does this have any preorder bonus for the physical version that is not available for the eshop version?