Bayonetta 2 Environmental Artist Outlines Sources of Inspiration, Including Gorgeous Screenshots

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Belgium and Italy set the scene

We can expect Bayonetta 2 to get plenty of attention and marketing from Nintendo ahead of its October arrival, with the Platinum Games exclusive joining Hyrule Warriors as an action game catered to those that prefer quick button taps to cerebral, relaxing experiences.

One aspect certainly deserving praise is the visual performance of this sequel, with Platinum clearly improving its engine and making good use of the Wii U's capabilities. When compared side-by-side with the original Bayonetta's Wii U port, it's a clear visual upgrade. The envionments help with that, naturally, and the title's lead environmental artist — Hiroki Onishi — has shared details on his trips to Belgium and Italy, and how they influenced the art in the game; there are some impressive results.

Below are some lovely comparison shots that show how locations inspired equivalents in the game world.

Onishi-san ended with a nice message on how travelling is important to him, both for his work and personal life.

Going abroad provides new experiences, information, and teaches you to view things in a broader, different way than before. Even outside of work, I still make an effort to travel abroad every year. If anything, just because I learn so much from it.

Are you looking forward to Bayonetta 2 and the world it'll create? Let us know.

[via platinumgames.com]

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

So that's why Iwata stopped by the house yesterday. :o

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Really important game for me. Or should I say game(s)?

Wonder if were going to get a release date at Comicon?

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

This is so beautiful! Are there non beat em up scenes in Bayo? Because this is such a waste otherwise, I want to leisurely stroll through these areas and maybe pop into a shop or two.

Remisio

Remisio said:

At first I thought both were either in game or real life shots. Dumb I know. (It became clearer in later shots though, such as Venice, and Church of our Lady) but yeah. That's really good.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Wow…this game just keeps looking better and better…please Nintendo advertise the hell out of this! I know Hyrule Warriors is getting most peoples attention but Bayonetta 2 deserves more praise this is shaping up to be GOTY…and like W101 i will support it and buy it day one!!!

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I hope this one doesn't bomb like The Wondeful 101 (great game, bad demo) did. Platinum has become my favorite developer with Nintendo.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

Pssshhh......those pictures are clearly not from a next gen camera.......I mean is it even a 4K image with 60fps on that photo?

Seriously PG seems to really be working to push the hardware and while pretty visuals isn't necessary for a good game, it is a nice bonus.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

This game is very beautiful to look at. Platinum Games are easily one of my new favorite game developers. Now I can't wait to see how Scalebound looks.

VelvetRose

VelvetRose said:

@PvtOttobot Not useless at all. You can absolutely observe and take in the environments. While it is a beat em up, it's not something like Dynasty Warriors and etc. There's some sort of exploration.