AeternoBlade Update Brings Two DLC Options, Including "Super Sexy Bikini"

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Yes, really...

Arternoblade is exciting in principle — an action platformer with Metroidvania elements — but is arguably a fairly mediocre experience. In some respects we're fortunate it made it out of Japan at all, nevertheless, as it required crowdfunding to make localisation happen.

In any case, developer Corecell Technology hasn't given up on earning a return on its investment, and an update to the game has added two DLC options to the Add-On Content menu. The details from a US copy are below, word for word, with the grammatical issues from the game itself.

Swimsuit - Super sexy bikini for Freyja! ($0.99)

"Freyja, aren't you bored with that stuffy armor of yours? Why don't you try this relaxing bikini?"

Arena Mode - The grand arena for gods. ($1.99)

"If you though the story mode is too easy, why don't challenge the Arena Mode! You shall face 20 waves of undeniable fearsome monsters. Defeat them and time your best performance."

Considering the current debates around sexism that are swirling around, it seems silly to take a heroine clad in modest, practical armour for fighting evil and offer a bikini alternative for less than a dollar. That said, this isn't an exception, and let's not forget that Nintendo got in on the act with its Summer Scramble DLC for Fire Emblem: Awakening, which was partially censored in North America but still had scantily clad female and male characters.

Do you find this sort of content cringeworthy or a bit of fun? Maybe both? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Well, since it's DLC to begin with, it's players choice entirely. Also, bikinis ain't sexist, they're beautiful! - depending on the wearer.

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I don't think that it's fair to say that Nintendo is "getting in on the action" in reference to sexism when both male and female characters were featured in the Fire Emblem DLC pack. :P

I guess this is good news for the 8 people who bought AeternoBlade through.

Teenchampion

Teenchampion said:

I don't really care about the whole bikini part--it's just confusing as to why it exists.

ShanaUnite

ShanaUnite said:

Why do i have the feeling that theyll make more money from the bikini dlc than the Arena Mode dlc?

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Sorry, I have an aversion to fanservice on the 3DS.

I'd be willing to get it if it was high res and on Wii U. (Frantic winking and shoving ensues.)

shaneoh

shaneoh said:

Misspelled AeternoBlade, the very first word of the article (ArternoBlade)

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

I just got up so I'm still a little groggy. Have I gone back in time or something, didn't the AeternoBlade DLC come out months ago or is UK/EU just getting the AeternoBlade DLC just now?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I'm still waiting for a sale. No way am I paying that much for this. Crazy this of all games cost the most along with a few others this price. I might wait for a price cut then a sale before I touch this.

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

@ shaneoh Did I say anything bad, I just wondered why this article is on NintindoLife today when I thought the AeternoBlade DLC came out months ago?

Weird

Weird said:

huh?
" In some respects we're fortunate it made it out of Japan at all"
You kow that it came in europe before it came in japan with a different name? I follow them on facebook so i read a lot later than i finished the game that they finally release it in japan
now im confused xD

and these dlcs arent new o.o i mean there was a giveaway for eu and us version where you could get the bikini dlc... this "news" is really confusing xD

but so much i love the game.. the only thing i hate about it is that the arena mode is an extra dlc! awful all of this dlc crap <,<

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

Uh? This news is just wrong. The DLC were already there pre-patch. Finished the game 100% months ago, and bought those DLC already back then. Please verify your fact before putting it as news.

Also, the game gave me a good 40 hours of gameplay to 100%, and it was a really awesome eShop experience if you ask me.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

OMG, I'm soo tired of sex so sexy woman = sexist in video games and other media, so know what? Ahem.
FROM THIS DAY FORWARD, FOR EVERY WOMAN IN SPANDEX OR A BIKINI, THERE WILL BE A MUSCLY MAN IN A SMALL TIGHT FITTING SPEEDO. I'M SORRY GUYS, BUT HOPEFULLY THIS WILL SHUT UP ALL THE "FEMINISTS" (PEOPLE UPSET OVER FICTION, BUT TOO LAZY TO CHANGE SOMETHING IN THE REAL WORLD).

Dezzy

Dezzy said:

It's not cringeworthy and it's not a bit of fun either. It's a meaningless addition. 'Sexism' really isn't the right label though, even if it is gratuitous. As I've always said, the solution is simple. Every time they do sexy women, they have to do a male version too. If those prove popular, then great. If they don't, then the liberal world just has to deal with the fact that men and women are different.

russellohh

russellohh said:

@CaviarMeths Also, those weren't bikini armors- it was just the characters going to the beach, then getting attacked and putting their armor back on. It actually made sense. The heroine for this game seemed cool, but the demo was mediocre at best, and apparently it just got worse and never better.

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@ZeroZX_Dev

May I ask how u know what all those lazy "feminists" have done in the real world?

No, better they should all just shut up. Right.

Scalehala

Scalehala said:

I think it's cringeworthy that you implied that the Fire Emblem Awakening DLC was somehow sexist.

Windy

Windy said:

Sex sells its the basis of advertising and now a lot of gaming content.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@k8sMum I mean "feminists", as in the ones wasting energy not complaining about real world issues, instead complaining about a scantily clad woman in a video game, rather than fighting real issues of gender inequality. They are what you call "on the clock feminists", I have no problem with feminists. They're actually fighting real inequality, not fan service.

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

I repeat since everyone seem to be talking about it like it was BIG news. The DLC were always there, it's nothing new at all. Don't know why it's making the headline. The patch didnt added those one bit. Also the game is REALLY great. I wrote a full review of it on a different site (I don't know if posting link is permitted here), most people just pass the game up because of the very bad demo and people talking bad about the games because of said bad demo. Pass stage 1, the game become very awesome, with tons of exploration and time manipulation to solve puzzles. Really worth it, even when I spend 15$ to get it (since the game gave me 40 hours of enjoyment, I didnt feel like I've wasted any money). From reading all the comments, I feel most people have not even tried the full game, or just believed NL review like it was the only trusty source, which is kinda sad.

World

World said:

@ZeroZX_Dev I see why you'd feel that way, but I really think it's more complicated than that. These sorts of things are symptoms of the larger problem. Of course, I agree with you that simply saying skimpy bathing suit DLC is sexist is pretty stupid.

Personally, that kind of stuff never bothers me because sex sells and that's life. What does bother me are the entitled men who think they get to shout their incredibly degrading opinions about said DLC on a public forum.

Doesn't matter if it's a fictional character or not. Everyone has a right like what they like and to tastefully announce that if they want. But that degrading locker room garbage talk is the kind of stuff I won't tolerate.

You might disagree, but I don't feel like telling those disgusting guys why their opinion is not okay outside their homes is a waste of time. Until men stop feeling like they have a right to degrade women's bodies and have that opinion be generally supported by the mainstream, this kind of DLC will open the doors for sexism even if it's not sexist in and of itself.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@World Applause to you good sir, great post. Neh, I just think fan service has its place in all media, its not sexist since it pretty much goes both ways. Though of course male centered fan service is more prevalent due to a larger (or vocal) male presence in the industry, which is a shame. In a perfect world, there would be more female centered fanservice, but alas, that saddly hasn't happened.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@World I don't really care what you won't tolerate. You posted your opinion, and I'll post mine. I'll buy this DLC and call the character whatever degrading name i want.

I enjoyed the demo.

World

World said:

@ZeroZX_Dev Well, the fact that I'm not a "sir" might factor into my feelings a bit. Not gonna lie, I feel personally alienated by some of these comments made by dudes.

And yeah! I wasn't looking down on the products themselves! Fanservice is fanservice! I don't really have a problem with these things existing, or even people just saying that they find the character attractive. It's the entitlement that some guys feel like they get to cross a line and be as objectifying as they want in a public forum in their reactions.

World

World said:

@noctowl But, like, that's good though! Play what you like! I might have missed it, but you weren't in the comments making really demeaning comments about it! My problem isn't with the DLC or even that people would literally just buy it because they find it attractive. Sorry if my opinion didn't come across exactly the way I wanted.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@World Ohhh sorry, sir is my default. Don't mean to alienate you, I just say really stupid things someti- all the time. My fault for starting this really. =/
Though for clarification, I don't personally care if a game has fanservice or not. I'm just tired people seeing at as sexist, despite female centered fanservice does indeed exist (hint yoai and beefcake).

World

World said:

@ZeroZX_Dev Of course! And my fault also for continuing it. Because, like, you weren't even saying the things I was ranting about! I just...I don't know. Sometimes it just comes out.

Yeah, I hear you. I honestly feel like blanket declarations of "this is sexist" ignores the real issues. And shaming everyone into not having a sexuality is totally ridiculous. People should be free to like what they like, and I feel like the market should be allowed to cater to that if the market is there, but there should be some level of, I don't know, respect in public places.

Fine to say you want your fictional girls in fictional bikinis and to say that, just maybe not so much to use the kind of borderline harassment language shared by lewd construction workers everywhere, you know?

(And I feel totally the same way about girls who talk about guys, fictional and real, like that. It's just somewhat less common).