Renegade Kid's Jools Watsham Wants To Bring Retro Game Challenge 2 To The West

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could this fan-translated release find its way to the eShop?

Retro Game Challenge is one of our favourite Nintendo DS titles here at Nintendo Life, and the fact that the sequel remained exclusive to Japan is something that still bugs us to this day. Recently, fans of the game have translated it into English, an event which has resulted in Renegade Kid's Jools Watsham showing interest in finally bringing the game to the west.

When asked on Twitter about the chances of Retro Game Challenge 2 making its way to this part of the world, Watsham initially showed interest before proclaiming that he and his team "would be happy" to handle the conversion process:

The Retro Game Challenge series is known as GameCenter CX in Japan, and is based on the hit TV show of the same name. The localisation of the original game was handled by US company XSEED, which has previously said that it would love to bring more titles from the franchise to the west, but the DS original sold so poorly that it wouldn't make financial sense.

GameCenter CX 3 launched on the 3DS this year to a rather muted critical response.

Would you be keen to see an eShop release for Retro Game Challenge 2? Let us know with a comment.

[via gonintendo.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

That would be terrific! First and foremost, big ups for the guys who finnaly managed to complete the translation. Being able to buy the thing officialy and have on my 3ds? PRICELESS!

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I loved the first one, but didn't whoever published the first one say sales were not good even though reviews were?

Drac_Mazoku

Drac_Mazoku said:

The news of RGC2 finally having its fan-translation finished quickly reached everyone I see. It's great. If it was on DSiWare, I would indeed buy it Second 1, throwing an everlasting amount of money at my screen. But I'm pretty sure it is not only a matter of them wanting to put it on the eShop. There's surely A TONS of licensing issue to solve to release what was a fan project into something that actually costs money.

NImH

NImH said:

I loved the first one. (Haggleman was the business.) I remember feeling like someone made a game just for me. I'd really like to see the second one on the eShop.

AJTsuki

AJTsuki said:

Although I am hesitant to recommend a Kickstarter for a project with limited appeal, this however seems like the ideal situation. They should figure out just how much it would be to make it worth their while and set that as their goal. Let the fans decide if they're willing to pay for it. I would definitely be on board.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Would buy this if it came to Europe, no doubt. We need a cool publisher like RK...

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

I want this so badly!!! Please make it. I'll buy it. I bought Moon, I'll buy cult county (if it's on Vita), and I'll buy this! I've wanted it for years

ejamer

ejamer said:

@AJTsuki
Totally agree. I don't like suggesting (or usually backing) KickStarter projects... but that publishing model seems like the ideal case for a project like this.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Going to hunt down the original (US) for import first, never heard of this before :o

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

I imported this but didn't have the patience to get through the detective game even with a guide. The action-based titles are great, though.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

I would go in on a Kickstarter for this, it shouldn't be that much and can be done quickly.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

Wow! I love the first game but I didn't even know there was a second one! 'd be all over this!