Pac-Land and Pac-Man Collection Chomp Onto North American Wii U Virtual Console

Posted by Jake Shapiro

Part of Nintendo's 30% off E3 eShop promotion

Hot off the heels of Pac-Man's announcement as a playable character in the new Super Smash Bros, two Pac-classics have popped up on the North American Wii U Virtual Console, and you can snag 'em for 30% off as they join Nintendo's eShop promotion for E3-related games: Pac-Land on NES (on sale for $3.49) and Pac-Man Collection on Game Boy Advance (on sale for $4.89).

Pac-Land, originally released to arcades in 1984, is notable for its North American Virtual Console appearance because it never got released on NES; it's a Famicom import. 2001's Pac-Man Collection is a compilation of four Pac-titles: Pac-Man, Pac-Mania, the Pac-Man remake Pac-Man Arrangement, and the puzzler Pac-Attack – it looks to be the best bang for your buck if you want to pick up some pellet-chomping goodness.

We'll be sure to review both games in the near future, but in the meantime will you be picking up either of these Namco classics? Let us know in the comments below!

Thanks to the ever-vigilant Ryan Millar for the tip!

[via nintendoeverything.com]

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Please review quickly before the sale ends June 16! Having never played these, I don't like to buy without knowing, even if it is an established IP like Pac-Man.

smikey

smikey said:

I adore pac man he was born the same year as me I have a pac man games room I want this in europe please!

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

I might pick up Collection, it seems like too good of a deal to pass by. But I'm gonna wait first because Capcom has the VC stream tonight, and hey, you never know...

Yogsoggoth

Yogsoggoth said:

Pac-Man collection is an easy recommendation. I lost the Gameboy Advance cartridge so I will be downloading this the second I get home tonight.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Now please, bring us Pac Man VS on Wii U! It's THE ideal system for one of the most fun multiplayer games ever! And do so worldwide!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Wow, the amount of hours I logged into Pac-Man Collection as a kid...
Coincidentally, I also happened to play it yesterday.
Why are none of these E3 promotions hitting Europe? It's a worldwide event.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

If there's an area of Nintendo consoles that still needs work this E3 is the Virtual Console... and this does nothing for me. I'm optimistic, though. :)

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

It's too bad you can't do the vertical screen orientation of the games in this version like you could with Namco Museum GBA with Pac-man and Galaga. Vertical oriented Pac-man on the gamepad would be pretty awesome...

micronean

micronean said:

I have the GBA game. It's a solid title...at least for what it is (a 4-game compilation with very set limits and boundaries).

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Next E3 better be full Retro. They'll be talking about Virtual Arcades, GBA, DS, Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, Neo Geo, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, SNES, and N64! Furthermore, cross-buy will be implemented.

In addition, for 3DS, one could use Download Play (consoles with more than one controller) or the classic "Local Multiplayer" (Game Gear, Game Boy) across the Internet! For Wii U, one could also use "Local Multiplayer" via the Internet to other Wii U's OR 3DS's. Also, purchases could be made without accessing the eShop via 3DS or Wii U.

Also, there will be a Record button on the Home menu so that one could record up to 30 minutes of footage WITH the option to plug-in a microphone through the jack slot in order to record voice as well!

All of this will be next E3!!

... there goes my imagination again ... :/

JCnator

JCnator said:

So, I downloaded both Pac-Land and Pac-Man Collection to my Wii U. I heard that the controls for the former is odd. Movement is usually done by pressing A to move right and B for Left. Guess where the jump command is assigned. That is, unless you play as Player 2, as the controls are typical for any platformer.

geozeldadude

geozeldadude said:

Pac-Man Collection is fun esp. for the puzzle game, but the screen is very cramped for the other 3 games (you can only see a small part of the total board at a time). for those games you'd be better off getting one of the console collections, like one of the namco museum collections for wii, imo.

joey302

joey302 said:

Grabbing both!! I hope this is finally the start of the wii u vc picking up the pace!! Bring on namco museum so I can grab some ms pac-man which has been absent on a nintendo platform since GameCube!!! Yo SEGA!! Where are you? I'm waiting!!

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

Hmmm when you get to break time for some odd reason there is a church in the background. Well a building with a cross on top anyway. Maybe that's why it was never on the Nes.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

These aren't surprising considering there is a Pac-Land stage in the Wii U version. I played Pac-Man Collection a bunch as a kid, so I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Pac-Man.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Instant download for me! (Well, Pac-Man Collection, that is.) I owned it on the GBA back in the day and played the crap out of it. A+!

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

@JCnator

B=Left, A=Right, and any-direction-on-the-D-pad is jump! This is the same control scheme on the Turbo Graphx version.
It sounds crazy, but they were trying to simulate the arcade version that only had buttons for left and right (and jump)
I'll have to try the Player 2 thing, though. Didn't know that.

starlac

starlac said:

@JakeShapiro Pac-Land and Pac-Man Collection have just been released on the EU Wii U eShop with Thursday's update, along with the alreadly announced stuff (at least in the UK). Both have 30% off until 19th June.