Video: Check Out This Footage Of Lost WiiWare Title Bonk: Brink Of Extinction

Posted by Damien McFerran

Bonkers

Those of you with good enough memories to recall Bonk: Brink of Extinction will be aware that the game never saw the light of day; developed by Pi Studios in the US, the download-only release was scheduled to hit PSN, XBLA and WiiWare, but publisher Hudson Soft pulled the plug in 2011 — just after the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The plot of the game involved a cataclysmic natural disaster, which is presumably why Hudson Soft decided against releasing it.

Pi Studios was sadly forced to close its doors following the cancellation of the game, which was thought to be practically complete.

We've now had confirmation from Nintendo Life reader and hardware collector Thomas Andrews that Brink of Extinction was indeed ready for release. He's sent us footage of the game running on a PS3 development kit which used to be the property of Pi Studios, as well as this short explanation:

I have a PS3 developer unit FROM the owners of Pi Studios. The only game that was on it was Bonk: Brink of Extinction. Analyzing the dates and the name of the package, the game was READY to launch. The last edit date was over a year before the game was to be released. There was planned to be 3 DLCs, none of which added to the story; appear to be multiplayer games.

The game looks pretty impressive, and it's a real shame that it didn't see release — Bonk was once considered to be a true rival to the likes of Mario and Sonic, and he surely deserves another crack at stardom.

MarceloKamui

MarceloKamui said:

what a sad story.. I really liked Bonk as a kid, but I didn't know about this game.. looke great, so sad it was cancelled.. =(

theberrage

theberrage said:

I love the bonk series. This game looked a bit too generic. I would like to see a new bonk with a graphical style that resembles the new duck tales game. I also think he'd be a good smash bros addition .

Kirk

Kirk said:

It loses all the visual charm of the original Bonk titles.

Mommar

Mommar said:

They could have at least released in other territories that were outside of Japan just for an initial bit of return.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Given the reader says the PS3 version was practically ready a year before release makes me wonder if the other platforms were holding it back or if there were already political reasons (maybe the Japanese side of Hudson did not like how much power the American side seemed to have) which the tsunami pushed over the edge.

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

I was going to get this game, it was about to come out i remember, i love bonk games

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Looks okay and maybe it's a shame that it was never published, but I'd rather see a game like Bonk's Adventure from the Hudson Selection Series on GameCube, which was unfortunately only released in Japan:

For those interested: this was volume 3 from 4 in total. All are remakes of 8bit/16 games. The complete list of volume 1 to 4 is as follows: Cubic Lode Runner, Star Soldier, Bonk's Adventure, Adventure Island. If you have a Japanese GameCube/Wii or one that can play imports, these titles are well worth checking out if you loved the originals.

bofis

bofis said:

Damn, they should Kickstart the completion of this game and release it as WiiU-Ware...would have been so awesome to have a new Bonk game!

leetwolf

leetwolf said:

Talking to official developers, the chances of anyone having the original source is pretty unlikely. I have a Xbox 360 from the studio as well and it didn't contain Bonk unfortunately...which kind of sucks. The PS3 version will work on a hacked PS3 if I resign the executables. The only issue is the DLC edat files would need to be recreated.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

It was cancelled when Konami bought Hudson... along with all of Hudson's projects... Nothing to do with the earthquake...

Blueberry

Blueberry said:

I was looking at Momotarou Dentetsu games, lamenting the death of Hudson Soft just yesterday. Konami closed down the developer/publisher of the funniest games around. :_(

ECMIM

ECMIM said:

@TheRealThanos I have that and the only negative is that it didn't result in a Bonk's Revenge remake which, to this day, is one of my all-time fave platformers. Alas!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Pity. I recently aquired a TurboGrafx Console. I enjoyed the Bonk games on VC and would have loved to have downloaded this.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

@Kirk Pessimist much?
Sad this happened, would of probably been a fantastic game. I like platformers so I would of enjoyed it, despite not playing a Bonk game yet.

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I smell ROM dump! Hopefully this game can be saved and shared with the world it never got to experience like other excellent titles that were never officially released but were pretty much complete, and were actually very good.

I speak mostly for SNES's Star Fox 2 and DS's Gauntlet. Both were excellent games and it's a real shame they were never officially released. Thank goodness for hackers and rom dumps.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"but publisher Hudson Soft pulled the plug in 2011 — just after the Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami in Japan. The plot of the game involved a cataclysmic natural disaster, which is presumably why Hudson Soft decided against releasing it"

Never thought of that. Understandable, though they could have changed the story!

Anyway, this looks much better then the first build they showed! In the first build Bonk didn't look like Bonk, and it was just a very dark game! Now it looks much more cheerful!

It looks the end for Bonk, Master Higgins and Bomberman. I would love them back, but it looks very unlikely.

@Blueberry,

The only Hudson games I physically own are Bomberman 64 and Hero, but I downloaded a bunch on the Wii vc. I also have a soft spot for them, even if their games never reached stardom. I miss them! I also wonder what master Takahashi is doing right now!

@TheRealThanos,

Ah, that Gamecube/PS2 remake! How I would have loved to play it! Also, the castle music from Monster World (the one with the scrolling screen). So inappropriate (it sounds like salsa), yet soooo good!

Windy

Windy said:

I miss Hudson Soft! Dang you Konami! Get on the ball and do something with all those games! Neutopia would Ripe for Eshop sequels

xj0462

xj0462 said:

its a shame this got cancelled... i would have bought it... i hope whoever decided to cancelled this got FIRED!!!!!!!!!1