Video: Learn More About the Stunning Art Style and Sound in Child of Light

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The adventure is getting closer

While plenty of attention with the Wii U has drifted towards Mario Kart 8 and a host of upcoming Wii U eShop releases, we feel that Ubisoft's Child of Light shouldn't be forgotten or overlooked. Arriving on the download store next week, it's a title full of potential.

With a script that'll read like a poem and with various RPG ideas, the fairytale approach could certainly help this stand apart from its download contemporaries. It's also an exciting project as it utilises the terrific UbiArt engine that was developed and used in Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends; not only is it an impressive tool for artists to recreate their vision quickly in the game, but delivers seriously attractive results. Combine what appears to be a strong artistic concept with that engine and Child of Light could be a visual feast.

It hits both North America and Europe next week, and Nintendo has shared a couple of Ubisoft videos covering the making of the game. These two parts provide some insight into the visuals, soundtrack, general sound and the stage design. Check them out below and let us know whether you're excited about this title.

Omsuhos

Omsuhos said:

I was actually surprised that Nintendo even put this on their youtube. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Nintendo youtube page the only place you can see the "Making of" videos? I know there has already been some, but these ones seem new. Is Nintendo actually advertising Ubisofts stuff...?

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

I'm buying this game just for the visuals!

I haven't bought any e shop titles yet so i'm excited!
I wonder how much it is?

luckybreak

luckybreak said:

Also there needs to be more games like this! Artistic and stylized games are better than games that just try to be photorealistic IMO.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

@luckybreak Please note that the game is 720p on Wii U...;p

Can't wait to see the watercolour effects on the big screen! Knytt Underground was a looker and that was 720p as well!

King47

King47 said:

I can't wait for this game. It's a day one purchase for me, but I'll start playing it after xenoblade, alongside w101.

I hope it's as good as it seems to be.

rjejr

rjejr said:

We getting a review before or after release? I have $10 GC that was supposed to go towards Flowerworks HD but I've changed my mind. Would like to see the review first though, just in case.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Getting this on PS3. Wish the Wii U had the Deluxe version so I could support the platform though.

Findonovan95

Findonovan95 said:

This game looks so good. It kind of makes me sad because I would love to be able to do art at such a level. It inspires me to become better though. I can't wait to get this on my Wii U. :)

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

This game is higher on my wishlist than MK8 and Smash Bros. combined. I'll be nabbing this on day one. My only regret is that there's not a deluxe edition for the Wii U version.

Also, I just noticed that the end panel for the second video shows April 29, 2014. Did they move the launch up one day? It was originally April 30.

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

I am buying this day one! I LOVE the art style and that the main character is feminine and strong. Adding co-op to play with the wife is icing on the cake.

Cyberbotv2

Cyberbotv2 said:

There's no need for a review. These developer videos shows alot of work has been put into the game. And it looks unique. Day one purchase.

markybbop

markybbop said:

Im going to wait for the review, the game looks good in graphics and sound but it hardly looks like you actually do much so the gameplay may be weak

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

@markybbop

If you watch all of the videos it's actually rather involved - you have exploration, puzzles, traps, crafting and jRPG-style combat. While we can't know for sure until we have our hands on the game, the gameplay thus far looks like it will be as strong as the artistic direction.

PJR0cks

PJR0cks said:

It looks great, happy to see Nintendo is making an effort with 3rd party developers, and what is the deluxe version everyone is talking about?

SLiM

SLiM said:

Really looking forward to playing this game. Even if the gameplay isn't all that great, I have already been sold on the visuals and music alone!

Dave24

Dave24 said:

So you can all think about how good the games is, while I... will shamelessly enjoy it right now. It's stunning how this game is download only and yet there are no restrictions about activating it :)

This game is really dark and not screwing around, but the shadows on the character are kinda weird. The backgrounds and music though... stunning :)

Dave24

Dave24 said:

@Dreamz No way. I'm not one of those guys. Bought Deluxe today. I'm surprised that it actually works and not blocked until release date.