Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call Is Serenading The West Later This Year

Posted by Damien McFerran

Music to our ears

If you've been following our coverage of the Japanese version of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call then you'll probably be wondering if and when the game is coming to the West.

Thankfully, we can now confirm that a western launch is indeed happening, and it takes place at some point this year. To celebrate the announcement, Square Enix has released a special trailer which you can feast your eyes (and ears) on below. Interestingly, the trailer mentions the eShop, which suggests that this sequel could be download-only. [UPDATE: It has been pointed out that the official site features a packshot, which means a retail release is in fact happening.]

Are you excited about getting your hands on this title? Let us know by posting a comment.

Cipher

Cipher said:

The official website shows packshots and notes retail prices, so the game isn't going to be download-only. Fantastic to hear it's coming, though.

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

Yes! So can't wait for this. The original is possibly my favourite 3DS game. This looks even better!

sevex

sevex said:

I haven't even come close to getting everything in the first game (a little too much grinding required), but there's no way I can resist all the new songs in this one.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Great news. I am only missing one of the hidden characters in the original game. I will try to get it before this one arrives.

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

This is just awesome! First the Fatal Frame confirmation and now this! Imma getting this on day one :)

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Does this comfirm both a USA and EU release?

Rhythm games aren't my thing, but since they were smart enough to include an option to not break the touch screen and the game has one of the best video game tracks of all time (Aka Battle 2 from Mystic Quest) + many other lesser tracks (that are still excellent mind you) I can't simply be ignoring this.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

Fantastic news! I saw Zack from Crisis Core as well which means it's included and makes me very happy indeed :-) Will pre-order to get on day one!

KJ85

KJ85 said:

@Expa0 The official site features PEGI-trailers as well as language-specific pages, so yes it is also coming to Europe

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Instabuy! Still play the first one all the time and wish it was a dl game so I can play the music on the go anytime and anywhere.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Wait, is Square actually going to localize this one themselves? Are they getting smart and listening to the consumer?!

Cipher

Cipher said:

@PrincessEevee9 Maybe even summer - you never know. Later this year for sure, though, which is a relief to hear.

@Spoony_Tech I found it strange that the original never got a digital release in the West, but Curtain Call will definitely receive a digital release.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I played through the demo for the first game so many times I used all the trials. Still haven't bought the full game, but I might now there's a sequel. I've never even played a Final Fantasy game.

allav866

allav866 said:

I don't feel stupid for buying the first one, but a part of me regrets buying $20 of DLC for it.

allav866

allav866 said:

@Nik-Davies this game has all the songs from the first game, some from the iOS version, and the rest probably to be released as DLC. If anything, Curtain Call is a deluxe version of Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Bizzyb

I did not either. Too expensive, and there is no way to preview tracks before purchasing them. The whole DLC content was around $100!

Ash_Anne

Ash_Anne said:

I don't even like Final Fantasy but I like this game. I will probably pick this up eventually.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Getting this day one loved the first game so much gonna have to tell my cousin me and him had so much fun in co-op mode.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I hope there's a way to transfer my save data, otherwise I am not sure I can risk losing all of that time.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

I never got around to the first one. Will definitely be picking this up.

It's strange for me to be anticipating a Final Fantasy game since IX (and the original Crystal Chronicles) was the last time the series interested me.

JellySplat

JellySplat said:

H E DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS YEAH! I will buy this in a heart beat! The music is my favorite part about the FF games. (Besides I played the first one already)

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@allav866 i was under the assumption that it had all of the ios exclusive tracks, of which there were 11. The only track that was in the DLC that is not being included, at least according to what I've heard, is Somnus from FFXV.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

WOOP WOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Happy happy happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you SqaureEnix!

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Awesome! You know, the first game is actually damn good. At least, in my opinion. I think you kind of have to think of what it is... A rhythm-RPG, which works just perfect paired with Final Fantasy. Although, I have 40 hours on it and over 60000 rhythmia(?) and still haven't unlocked a single new character...

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Gorlokk you should have by now. Are you playing the dark notes side quest? You get the crystal shards from the boss monsters.

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

@allav866 Oh wow. That's much better. Doesn't seem I could even get it from Amazon UK without spending a [insert bad word here] ton of money. Thanks.

HylianJowiStaff

HylianJowi said:

This is great! I absolutely loved the first one, but perhaps we'll be seeing even more fan favorite tracks in this one! :D