Retro City Rampage: DX Update Available Worldwide Today

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Launch sales in North America exceed equivalent Xbox 360 global results

Retro City Rampage DX has been causing mayhem on 3DS systems in North America and Europe for a number of weeks now, and it'll also bring its brand of chaos to Australia and New Zealand today. Vblank Entertainment has been working on a free update, too, to resolve a bug in the game and also to add a host of new features to the title, which is already the most fully featured on consoles and portables.

The good news is that the update will be available everywhere today. It's been live in Europe since 2nd April and will also land in North America, and includes the following list of fun updates to shake up the experience.

ADDED PARKING GARAGES

• Store one of each vehicle (that's over 50 parking spots).
  • Access them from any garage in the city.

ADDED WAYPOINTS

• Drop waypoints on the minimap for driving directions.

ADDED MUSIC JUKEBOX

• Listen to 148 of the game's tracks, almost 3 hours in total.
  • Located under Main Menu->Help & Options.

Animated the Dysentruck

Prison stealth mission tweaked

• The last guard now stops looking once you're a reasonable distance away.
  • Added a checkpoint to prison stealth mission.

Fixed RESET TO DEFAULTS bug.
Water now animates in 8-BIT mode.
Fixed 8-BIT/Retro+ mode switching bug.
Fixed cameo character run speed after being on fire.
Fixed a couple of graphical glitches.
Reduced memory usage.
Sound effects during fast forward optimized.
Misc other tweaks/fixes.
Automated playthrough secret (To be highlighted later)

In promising news that promotes the potential success developers can enjoy on the 3DS eShop, meanwhile, the studio's founder — Brian Provinciano — has confirmed that the first month sales of DX in North America have exceeded the equivalent launch month worldwide sales of the Xbox 360 version, stating that "at this trajectory it'll exceed its lifetime sales before long".

Have you dived into the crazy world of Retro City Rampage DX? We were big fans in our review, and if you're on the fence maybe the video below — showing the updated features — will push you over the edge.

PLATINUM7

PLATINUM7 said:

Good to see it's finally in Australia, I've been looking forward to it for awhile now.

deadaccount

deadaccount said:

Nice! ..but Nintendo should speed up their time on releasing updates. It took long, but on the other hand, I dont want to have a broken update.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I didnt enjoy this game as much as I thought I would, maybe I'll update and give it another go on the way to work tomorrow.

RichRadEx

RichRadEx said:

Ooh! Nice! I would download it but my 3DS' Charging Cradle is still missing, so I can't...

luminalace

luminalace said:

Finally coming to Australia but I can't afford it this week. Oh well, next week I will get it hopefully but I also want some GBA VC on the Wii U.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Need to get this game ASAP! I'm worried there's gonna be a sale though...

danjohnson141

danjohnson141 said:

I used to carry gta china town wars around with me in case i ever got the urge to go on a spree during work, since downloading this gta has retired to its box on my shelf and this game is so much fun it could stay there a while

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Nice to see this one performing as it should on Nintendo hardware. Bring it to the Wii U man!

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Makes sense I guess. The xbox version was really hurt by the fact it cane later than the PSN. Most of my PlayStation firemds told me the game wasn't worth it so I skipped it.

After playing it the game is good but it definite something that is targeting a certain segment of the indie market.

dumedum

dumedum said:

I had so much fun with this game on WiiWare. Glad it's selling so well on the 3DS.

supermario182

supermario182 said:

finally nintendos answer to gta, even if its not by nintendo or exclusively for nintendo, its still like 85% inspired by nintendo, and thats good enough for me

Agent721

Agent721 said:

@Emblem
Same here...I got it for free via PS+ & I thought it was well over hyped. I'm glad I didn't have to directly pay for it. But I am very happy to see a big success for it on Nintendo's platforms.

smikey

smikey said:

I'd prefer it on wii u myself ( not likely I would have thought now) I love my 3ds (All 7 of them) but I very rarely download any e-shop games on them got enough games for it already & too much hassle with limited storage. (wii u has 2tb ext harddrive won't be full anytime soon)
I think the last e-shop gameI bought on 3ds was vvvvvvv & that was ages ago

epicdude12302

epicdude12302 said:

Yes! I love this game and have been waiting for this update since it was announced! Except, I can't find my 3DS so I'll have to wait till I find it to download this.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Agent721 Only GTA game I have really liked so far was San Andreas. (The terrible quality of the ports might be a factor and I have not tried V yet). I prefer Saints Row 3 though definitely.

Dunno about the Playstation version but this or the updated PC version is much better than the other I have which is the Wiiware. (Now making sure it scales properly is sorted out).

I would compare it not to GBA but to River City Ransom / Street Gangs. Probably depends whether you think it is funny or not.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

@unrandomsam
It's too bad I didn't like it...maybe I was too stoked for it, expecting too much, as I typically love retro gaming. The one I do like is Hotline Miami. It's a retro game, where your pay as a Hitman in 1989 Miami. Old school graphics, with dual thumb stick control & this kind oddly bizarre, yet addicting puzzle sort of gameplay, in how you decide how to pull off the hits. It's on PS3/PS4, Vita & probably the 360. It would be awesome on the WiiU & they could easily make good use of the tablet. Hopefully, it'll show up.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I've been looking forward to this patch. I've wanted the waypoints feature for a while now. I can't believe the game has 148 songs...

Can anyone tell me what the prison stealth mission is called? I've been trying to find it under the replay story mission menu, but I've had no luck.

dwuuuu

dwuuuu said:

The game is really good buy i have a feeling it's a rather short game !