Play: Mario Kart Wii With Nintendo Life on Twitch - Live!

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

There will be blue shells

Nintendo Life does Twitch! Hopefully without it crashing, breaking down and basically not working. We're going all modern and trendy — next up an annoying catchphrase to open every stream!

Well, maybe not on the catchphrase. We are, however, planning to run regular live streams of various Nintendo games that'll include multiplayer, playthroughs and random things we decide to do. This time around we're playing Mario Kart Wii online, getting in a last hurrah or two before the Wii's online multiplayer servers shut down on 20th May. We expect to perform very poorly, so let's get some important details out of the way first:

Why We'll Be Rubbish In These Races

• We haven't played it in ages
  • As we're playing on the office Wii U (in Wii mode), our new profile doesn't have any of the cool vehicles unlocked
  • Some races will be in local splitscreen too, which is harder just because
  • Our Mario Kart skills are of a questionable level, regardless
  • We only have one Classic Controller handy, so fiddly Remote + Nunchuk controls will be used
  • The pressure of playing live on the interwebs will cause us to, beneath our calm exteriors, suffer crippling anxiety attacks

If we race well, ignore those reasons.

We'll be kicking off at 5pm UK time / 6pm CET / noon Eastern / 9am Pacific and playing for roughly an hour, or whenever we get hungry and decide to go home. Below, meanwhile, is the MK Wii friend code for our game. If enough of you add us and post your code in the comments here and/or on Twitch, we'll try to arrange a friend match.

Our Friend Code — 0563-1263-9830

You can watch the stream right here or over on our lovely Twitch channel. Thanks for watching!

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

This seems like a really cool idea. If you're doing the friend code wotsit, mine is 2578-3248-7929. I haven't played in forever, mind you!

rjejr

rjejr said:

Real men drive their cars w/ motion ;-) I always loved seeing the little golden halo atop my Mii for those worldwide challenges.

Speaking of worldwide, I'm guessing being in the US excludes us?

Oh, NVM, getting connected seems like to much work today, we'll just watch on Twitch. Will we be able to hear you guys, obscenities are always funnier w a British accent?

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

So 5pm today you guys are playing online Mario kart Wii. Have you seen how sunny it is outside? :-D

rjejr

rjejr said:

ME adn my pink Wiimote are gonna give it a go - though my wireless might be too slow:

1250-3211-7451

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I have to do revision and I'll be doing it up beyond the WiFi Connection goes. But will you do this in the future with Mario Kart 8? I'd love to play

StaticWind

StaticWind said:

This was the first time I played online in a long time. It was pretty fun! Kept getting sixth during the first races, haha.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

A real pleasure to play with you guys! Even though I wasn't very good ;) Hopefully this can be a regular feature, people seemed to really enjoy it!

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

This was the first game of Mario Kart Wii online that I've played in a LONG time without hackers or lag. Thank you very much for this! I had a lot of fun. :)

SakuraHaruka

SakuraHaruka said:

Very, Very Good, It was very FUN!! ^.^
I wish play again with all you in another time (soon better, well MK 8 is almost near, XD)
Ok, Next time will be better!

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

That was an awesome time! Wish there was Mario Kart TV for when I pegged one of the staff With a red shell right at the finish line and passed him by on Koopa Cape.

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

That was awesome to watch! I wish I could've joined, but I'll play on line in commemoration tonight! :D

Neko_Rukiafan

Neko_Rukiafan said:

Shucks, if you would have posted this at least 12 hours in advance I would have woke up early and joined you guys. :|

Any plans for another community event for Mario Kart Wii?

Shugo

Shugo said:

Aaah damn, I missed it. I would've totally gotten in on those friend races; I've been playing a lot of MKW lately. Maybe next time (if there is a next time).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Rukiafan We announced this yesterday, but these things can be easily missed.

We're aiming for a weekly stream, and haven't decided what's next quite yet.

MaciejKuczynski

MaciejKuczynski said:

I thought it was going to be something similar to "Twitch Plays Pokémon" with viewers typing in directions. If it's regular Mario Kart, then I'm not interested.

memoryman3

memoryman3 said:

Aww.... I'm still surprised by the reliability though, I could find 12 players any time!

Gameday

Gameday said:

Wow why dont i ever catch you guys when you do these things. Either way ive been stacking up on Fairwell Mario Kart Online Videos. Hope you guys do this stuff again NL Staff Etc. I'll add you next time im on indeed. Here's my code otherwise.

5072 3984 7597 Kart Code