Video: Now Wind Waker Has Had the Oculus Rift Treatment

Posted by Samantha Sofka

A look through Link's eyes

Earlier this week we showed you a video of Metroid Prime played with Oculus Rift; now it's the turn of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker to take a step into virtual reality.

It is, once again, the work of YouTube user Chadtronic, and like all of these demonstrations admittedly uses slightly naughty means to bring us the end result using the GameCube original. It's intriguing, though, and the vibrant world is throbbing with life and shows off the environment and characters we all know and love.

Although the first-person point of view seems a bit dizzying at times, it adds a lot of dimension to gameplay; it's a natural extension of the first-person camera we could use in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD. It is especially thrilling when Link glides around with a Deku Leaf or is facing brutal attacks during sword training.

Take a look at the video below and let us know what you think of the demo. Which game would you like to see next on the Oculus Rift?

[via kotaku.com]

Related Games

JubilifeRival

JubilifeRival said:

THIS IS THE START OF A NEW ERA OF CONSOLES! Cmon, I really want a console that does this! Nerve gear… lol.

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

call me stupid but now I want soooooo bad to see a sidescroller in first person!!!!!!!!!!!!

it must be the most crazy awesome insanity in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAB

MAB said:

WOW! every game will be a first person view. This is a MicroSony fanboys wet dream... Looks like MAB's eye melting, brain exploding nightmare ;)

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I wouldn't mind playing through it like that. Exploring in first person view and then switching to third person while fighting would be an interesting mechanic.

Edit: Oh. Well, until he said you couldn't play through it like that...

Senario

Senario said:

@JubilifeRival Get back to me on that after you have finished emptying your stomach contents due to motion sickness. Occulus is so limiting on the type of game you can create.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Sonic advance 3 in First person
Or really any 2D sonic but I'm biased towards my first sonic game

Donutman

Donutman said:

The best part jus that sine of the first games that these guys are "porting" onto the rift are Nintendo games . And I just want to buy everything I need today to do this...and I think I might.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

So how many more games will the Oculus Rift ruins until we decided to take it seriously? How bout next a Tetris or maybe a Pong game while we're at it.

rbmoura85

rbmoura85 said:

With Wii U's capacity to send images to another device, like the gamepad, i think its likely they will release something similar to this Occulus. I always though they would, and, actually, we could find out about it pretty soon as they reveal Zelda U next e3.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@MAB
Haha, This thing is still the the bee's(or hornets) knees for plunking 3rd & first person whateverz into first person. You have to admit, playing something like Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition with wii pointer controls, in 8k, 3D(Too bad it features neither) with the oculous rift would be INsanely awesome. Then there's the metroid prime trilogy, skyward sword ect ect.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Manaphy2007
Native resolution for 3DS games are far, far too low for VR. You'd either get a very tiny image displayed to your eyes, or the image would be really stretched out and you'd see an extremely pixellated image.

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

What amazes me is a lot of the people who hated the Wii Motion control and Kinnect (and standing up playing games), think OR is marvelous. Seems like it would be very draining and disorientating to me.

Senario

Senario said:

@MrGawain Makes you motion sick because your eyes are seeing movement that your body is not feeling. To a good number of people this means losing your lunch, I know it is for me. It is part of the reason I can't fully support a conversion to full VR for Videogames.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

@MAB
Poor Luis. Loved that guy.

Back to the Oculus footage. Hope they never do this to my Zelda. I don't want the games to become migraine-inducing vomit fests. I'll never try VR again, no matter how good the graphics become.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

This seems really gimmicky to me (So much headgear!). I think the worst part is when he looks down and you can see inside Link's model instead of just the ground in front of you.

Pod

Pod said:

Trying something like this with the Rift has me much more curious than all the demos that lean towards reality in the visual department.

Though truth be told, the couple times I've tried the Rift out, it wasn't exactly a revelation. Both the software and hardware need to improve, and more manufacturers need to step up for this technology to have much other than a decidedly niche future.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Makes me wish Nintendo would give a full first person Zelda game a try. Or at least let you play fully through a Zelda game in either third or first person depending on your preference.

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

I would go insane for an Oculus Rift now as Wind Waker is my favorite game, but it looks way unfinished.