TwitchPlaysPokémon Conquers Pokémon Red

Posted by Andrew Karklins

It’s all over…..for now

TwitchPlaysPokémon has done the unthinkable. The livestream of Pokémon Red, in which the stream’s chat controls the movements of the trainer Red, has officially beaten the Elite Four and its rival Blue to become the Pokémon League Champion.

Approximately 16d 7h 45min and 30sec after the adventure began, the stream has beaten the game. Using a team consisting of a Zapdos, Omaster, Venomoth, Lapras, Nidoking, and Pidgeotto, the stream was able to conquer the Elite Four and take down Blue. After countless attempts to pass through the Indigo Plateau, the team was able to level up and gain a good advantage against many of the Elite Four’s Pokémon.

Now, with Pokémon Red finished, what is next for the immensely popular stream? Well, earlier this week, the creator confirmed that the stream would return and tackle one of the generation two games. With Pokémon Red under our belt, the eyes of thousands have turned towards the next game in the series.

The stream has officially begun a countdown that will end at 12pm GMT (7am EST) on Sunday, which will begin round two. While it is still unknown which game will be played, we can be certain that the stream will maintain its popularity and continue to barrage the internet.

Looking ahead to next stream, many fans have determined some possible problems of our trainer in the new region. Firstly, the gyms of Morty and Whitney may pose a problem due to the layout of Morty’s and Whitney’s famous Miltank. Another problem may be the Olivine Lighthouse, which hopefully will not be a repeat of the Pokémon Tower found in Lavender Town. Lastly, the Ice Path may prove to be the the greatest of our concerns due to its requirement for precise move patterns.

Until tomorrow, you may have some time to kill anticipating the next stream. However, you may have missed some of the most exciting events of the previous stream. You can see the final Pokémon battle with Blue below, while the main page has links to other major events of the playthrough.

Are you anticipating the next TwitchPlaysPokémon stream? Let us know in the comments below. In the case of this writer the stream consumed a lot of free time; we're excited for a new adventure in Johto.

Big_Boy_Chubs

Big_Boy_Chubs said:

I Think It'd be cool to see a gen 4 pokemon game, but it could be a while before that happens.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I watched it live from my phone at the middle of a party with a friend that just luckily had a charger when the battle started and my battery was at 2%. Needless to say it was the highlight of the party for me.

Xilef

Xilef said:

This might be one of the greatest achievment in the history of man cooperating for something. ;-;7

KTT

KTT said:

There should be Omastar, not Omaster C:
I was lucky to launch my computer at the exact time when they were beating E4, from Lorelei to Blue and credits roll.

GooRoo

GooRoo said:

Wish I had time to watch more of the stream over the past couple of weeks. What I saw of it was pretty entertaining!

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

I wish it was still going, would have loved to see how long it would take to catch all 150 pokemon

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

If over 100,000 people can come together and complete a video game, then imagine what else we could do! We could change the world!

ZesuBen

ZesuBen said:

Okay.

Omastar and Pidgeot. You got both of those wrong.

But I forgive you. <3

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Awesome! I wanna join for the next one! You know what would be crazy? TwitchPlaysAnimalCrossing.

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

komodo182

komodo182 said:

Now if only the would release the original pokemon games for download on the wii u or 3ds (preferably the wii u)

TheItalianBaptist

TheItalianBaptist said:

With all of the copycats on twitch I saw a twitch plays red vs. blue race but it was really slow paced. Put red, blue AND yellow (AND green?) on anarchy mode and have an even more epic race I say :)

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

They would beat the game while I was asleep; it must have been about 3 or 4 a.m. where I am. At least I got to see the winning run on YouTube this morning. I can hardly wait for the follow-up; I might even participate this time. I wonder what the next "Lord Helix" will be?

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

watches video
Yeah I wouldn't be able to do this, it would drive me completely insane. xD

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Personally I missed the ending, I was at work at the time. I'm sorta sad we're going almost straight into a new game. & "PRAISE HELIX" won't be relevant anymore... I'm still excited for the fun of it all, of course. But still...

SneakyStyle

SneakyStyle said:

Lol my god I can't believe this is still going on, but I guess it's great publicity for nintendo/pokemon and twitch.. which can't be a bad thing. xD

skywake

skywake said:

I was going to make a point about how Nintendo should be doing something to take advantage of this. Then I remembered that a few days ago they announced their "free Pokemon X/Y" promo on the US. Coincidence? Maybe not.

mcusc5435

mcusc5435 said:

I wonder if the new "Lord Helix" for this 2nd Generation will turn out to be "Lord Togepi" with having to carry the Egg for awhile and anticipating the hatching of it

Artwark

Artwark said:

Wouldn't this be bad for Game Freak, Creatures or Nintendo the fact that now Pokemon is played through Twitch?

MasterWario

MasterWario said:

I would have liked to see everyone's reaction on the chat when they finally beat it...sadly that's not in the video.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I caught the end just as I woke up, only got to see Rhydon and Blastoise go down (Blue's last two Pokemon), but it was magical. The full successful Elite Four and Champion run should be up on YouTube, so I'll watch it soon. ALL HAIL HELIX!

jenisnape

jenisnape said:

Followed along only a bit...but love all the OC that has come from TPP! I hope someone makes a Bird Jesus is my homebody shirt. Instabuy!

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

@mcusc5435 doubt it. Eggs hatch based on steps walked. Twitch tends to have the trainer wander back and forth for hours. I wouldn't be surprised if togepi is hatched by tomorrow (they just got the egg a short while ago).

2Sang

2Sang said:

Despite all the helix fossils uses, it worked! I wonder if the helix fossil people will try the same thing with crystal.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@skywake they also the entire original Pokémon series on Netflix. I'm wondering if that's a coincidence too :P