Festival of Magic Kickstarter Relaunches With a Fresh Name

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Earthlock is already well on its way

Late last year we reported that SnowCastle Games had launched a crowdfunding campaign for Festival of Magic, an RPG that had been in the works for a number of months and including a Wii U eShop release. That original campaign was put on hold, however, and was due to go live once again on 20th February; it's taken longer than expected, but it's now relaunched with a new game title — Earthlock: Festival of Magic.

As before, this promises to be a colourful, non-linear turn-based RPG that will also incorporate elements of harvesting; maintaining your own plot will be vital for growing resources that act as ammo during battles. With team-based battle mechanics and environmental puzzles also thrown in, this title may certainly appeal to a decent number of gamers.

The crowdfunding campaign is to fund Volume 1 of the game, with two more volumes planned with the funds from investors and sales of the first part. With a target of $150,000 it's off to a good start; after roughly two days of funding it seems many of the original backers and others have returned, with over $33,000 raised at the time of writing — 33 days are remaining.

You can check out the Kickstarter campaign for full details; are you hopeful of playing this next year?

Thanks to Benedict for the tip.

WiiULoveSquid

WiiULoveSquid said:

The new branding reminds me of those fantasy social media games that show up as ads on sites.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

I actually supported the Kickstarter which is the first time I've contributed to anything other then a friends movie. I'm a sucker for turn based RPG's though and I'm hoping it makes it. Hopefully I don't end up with buyers remorse.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Looks nice, but as always I'm hesitant to kickstart or support early versions of any game. Unless I'm very interested or they provide significant discounts for backers then its not for me.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Looks good. Reminds me a lot of a Tales and/or Wild Arms game. I'll back it. I was VERY happy to see a Wii U GamePad sitting on the desk when they were previewing the build.
The main characters could use some work- they look a little lifeless or bland. The key for me in an RPG is having characters whom I love/hate to keep me going. Also, some of those battle animations could use a little kick.
But, it seems to be an early build. So, hopefully it comes to fruition! Wii U definitely needs more RPGs, the GamePad is absolutely perfect for the genre.

Thaswizz

Thaswizz said:

I really hope this game gets released as it looks amazing. Like to see full orchestra soundtrack, but ill be happy just for main release.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

It kinda reminds me of Torchlight...and I friggin' LOVE Torchlight's aststyle ;)

I was already somewhat interested in it before, but that little Update got it on my "must-buy" list for Indie games ^^

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

It's reall got that Nintendo-charm in its art style. I wish them the next if luck in their Kickstarter!

Action51

Action51 said:

@Baum897 That's what I was thinking, and I also love Torchlight's look and style!

I hope we can get this on Wii U, it looks great and it's a classic turn basec RPG so WIN WIN!

Weird

Weird said:

the demo they released looks really good! I hope they reach their goal...this game should be great on consoles

Daisaku36

Daisaku36 said:

I've backed this game once, I'm backing it under the new name now. Hopefully it gets funded this go around.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Looks much more solid now. I'd have a hard time backing it as I have a hard time sinking time into RPGs nowadays. My favorite part is the Snow Castle company logo. :P

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

EarthLock? Where's Ness? Cause' EarthLock is essentially the same think as EARTHBOUND

Josaku

Josaku said:

Looks really good to me, hope it dosn't get canceled for WiiU like some other games out there <__<

Qn1f3

Qn1f3 said:

Backed!
@Josaku which games are you referring to? Really looking forward to more games coming to the Wii U that really makes use of the unique capabilities of the asymmetric gameplay.

tebunker

tebunker said:

@Melkac @Josaku @Action51

Stop, go back to the kickstarter site , and Read.

Okay. first and foremost. This IS coming to WiiU, it always has been, Nintendo reached out to them very early in development. Nintendo was very impressed by them at PAX

Second, it is a Kickstarter campaign, they actually have a lot of outside funding this is the last stretch. If this campaign is successful then WiiU is guaranteed this game. Actually it pretty much has always been guaranteed this game.

lastly, and most importantly, Who cares if it comes out on other systems? Indie titles like this aren't going to drive folks to buy the WiiU, and being exclusive is stupid for an Indie developer. Period. Buy good games on the WiiU, do not care if they are released elsewhere. You will be happier when you reconcile this. Be happy we have the opportunity to get a good game. I mean, heck it was gonna come out on PC and bunch of other stuff too, so why not hope they can make more money. Also, remember that the last kickstarter didn't have the One and 4 on it, and they failed to get funding. SO Again, you should never ever ever ever care if a game is coming out on another platform as long as it comes out on a platform you own. Just support the games you like on the platforms you like, and be happy.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@tebunker Being exclusive in the first instance is not a bad strategy many of the very successful indie games started out that way. (Hardly any made much money from XBLA but the timed exclusives made people want the game and in the end they got loads of money from PSN and Steam).

Action51

Action51 said:

@tebunker I'm glad to hear it's almost a certainty for Wii U.

I could surely grab it on Steam if it didn't, but I have a feeling the Wii U gamepad is going to be simply amazing for turn based RPG games that are built around it's use.

Looking at the video, I'd say the art style reminds me of Torchlight, the battle system is like Tales series mixed with Pokemon, and the home island and farming segments are a LOT like Rune Factory and Harvest Moon.

I like all those games, so this one is definitely on my radar!

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Backed this within hours of it's relaunch, I'm committed to helping this project succeed!

Shambo

Shambo said:

It visually reminds me even more of BG&E now, which is still an awesome thing, since the second game of that title seems to take forever, if it's still in development.

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

@Shambo I wondered when someone would bring up BG&E. I even thought the main character's sidekick was reminiscent of that classic. I am very interested in it, though.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Captain_Gonru It might be just that sidekick, the green clothing, and partial cell-shading, which in turn might 've been what made BG&E be compared with LoZ, but anything that reminds me of BG&E has that going for it already.