Nintendo Titles Secure Multiple GDC Awards Nominations

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

The results have to wait until 19th March

The Game Developers Conference will take place in San Francisco from 17th-21st March, with the "expo" part of the week running from 19th-21st March. It's always an interesting event to learn more about projects underway and wider issues within the development community, while also being notable for the Game Developers Choice Awards, which are arguably considered as some of the most prestigious awards to win.

This year's nominations have, pleasingly, brought a number of successes for Nintendo titles; in total three games are nominated across the same number of categories, detailed below.

Game of the Year

Best Design

• Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar North/Rockstar Games)
  • The Last of Us (Naughty Dog/Sony)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo EAD/Nintendo)
  • Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo EAD Tokyo/Nintendo)
  • Tomb Raider (Crystal Dynamics/Square Enix)

Best Handheld/Mobile Game

• DEVICE 6 (Simogo)
  • Fire Emblem: Awakening (Intelligent Systems/Nintendo)
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo EAD/Nintendo)
  • Ridiculous Fishing (Vlambeer)
  • Tearaway (Media Molecule/Sony)

Do you fancy Nintendo's odds in any of these categories?

[via digitalspy.co.uk]

Related Games

Zekrom025

Zekrom025 said:

Knowing the gaming community nowadays :
Game of the Year : GTA 5
Best Design : GTA 5
Best Handheld Game : Still GTA 5

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@Hyperstar96 Dunno...crying somewhere in the corner maybe?
They were pretty solid overall, but not as good as last gen (of Pokemon), if you ask me.

I really like the designs and it's actually the very first generation of Pokemon in wich I like ALL new creatures (yes even the key) and the new battle mechanics are also quite interesting and well implemented, but the story and setting...let's say they didn't hook me, that's still the most important part of RPGs imho and apparently quite alot people felt that way.

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

Looks like a nice lineup... here's a prediction on the outcome.

GoTY - TLoU
Best Design - SM3DW
Best Handheld - FE:A or ALBW

Rafie

Rafie said:

GOTY- TLoU and/or GTAV (although I LOVE SMB3DW)
Best Design- That could go to either 3 (GTA, TLoU, or SMB3DW)
Best Handheld is between both Nintendo titles. So Nintendo is definitely winning in one of these categories. That's the good news!

BigH88

BigH88 said:

Only one I see Nintendo getting is Best Design which is gonna be SM3DW.

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

Game of the Year: The Last of Us
Best design: Super Mario 3D World
Best handheld/mobile game: Tearaway

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I think Link Between Worlds might win for design, just for shaking up the Zelda formula. I'm not sure the handheld category is a gimme though, Device 6 is pretty unique. Super Mario could easily win GOTY, but so could TLoU or GTA V.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

I really don't understand how Gone Home is even it the GOTY category, impressive indy game but you won't get nearly the same enjoyment out of it as the others.

GOTY- GTA V or The Last of Us
Design- SM3DW
Handheld- Tough one. Down to all the handhelds. I can't put the mobile games on the same level at all.

GalacticMario28

GalacticMario28 said:

I think Nintendo's likely to win best handheld game. I'm not sure about the others, though. I just hope these awards won't be like the VGX awards; that's the last thing I need.

@Baum897 I've noticed that reception to the stories in Pokémon games has been weird in recent years. When Black/White came out, a lot of people really liked them for their story and their approach to Pokémon; then Black 2/White 2 came out and everyone loved them and preferred them over B/W, but suddenly everyone stopped caring about the stories in B2/W2 and B/W and acted as if the story in a Pokémon game never really mattered to begin with ( I personally felt the story in B2/W2 was kind of generic, especially compared to B/W). Now X/Y are out and people are complaining about the story. I don't get it.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I am not bothered about GTA5 or The Last of Us (Far too much time in either of them I wish I was not playing them). 3D World is good but it has about a tenth of the amount of content it should have.

I like a Link Between Worlds (Don't think it is perfect though either). Don't like Fire Emblem really the balance is off. (Same sort of way the original Ultimate Ghost's and Goblins was on the Ultimate setting. That got a second release fixing things in Japan). Glad I didn't buy Fire Emblem only lent it from my brother as I am glad the DLC policy lost them a sale.

64supermario

64supermario said:

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, definitely needs the award of smartest design. Everything in that game kept me think, and using the 2D technique so much. It was great.

Fire Emblem: Awakening has my vote for best handheld game though.

Matts14

Matts14 said:

I think nintendo has mobile game for sure and though Mario should get something I don't think it will happen

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

If Fire Emblem or Zelda loses out to a mobile fishing game or the terribly inventive-but-dull Tearaway, I'll squat bricks.

GunstarHero234

GunstarHero234 said:

@JaxonH So really why is Tearaway terribly inventive but "dull" doesn't deserve the award? Oh I forgot it isn't a Nintendo "quality" title to win sadly even though the game deserve the award much as the rest and how underrated this amazing game is but it isn't going to succeed because of one of the Nintendo handheld titles is going to win anyways sigh........now that's dull.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Let's be honest, they really don't want to throw Nintendo any bones, ever. All gesture due to outside pressures I bet

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@GunstarHero234

It has nothing to do with it "not being Nintendo". If it was on 3DS I'd be saying the exact same thing. It's just a boring game, simple as that. Inventive and creative thoughts don't magically make a game fun. I'll give em props for trying, but that's as far as it goes.

Keep in mind I'm not just a Nintendo fan. I game Sony as well. I'm not just spewing nonsense in the spirit of bias. The game just isn't that fun. The presentation is nice, but when it comes down to actually playing the game, it's very much like Little Big Planet. The pace is on par with the speed of litigation.

Of course, you don't have to agree with my opinion, but I'm not going to pretend that a game is great just because some fans want to portray it as a masterpiece. The game didn't review too well either if I recall., so it's not like I'm the only one.

G3ry

G3ry said:

The nominees should have been:
GoTY:
Super Mario 3D World
TLoZ: Link Between Worlds
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Wonderful 101
Pikmin 3

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Predictably all the dumb folk will select GTAV as the 'bestest and most awesome to the max game' and some laurels will also surely befall the utterly overrated The Last of Us, and I see Nintendo only winning in the handheld category, which would be another nice slap in the face for the Wii U.
I hope I'm wrong, but recent awards have been rehash after rehash and thus far I have no reason to believe that this one will be different.
I think Fire Emblem: Awakening is a GREAT game and it deserves major credit.
Actually, the whole series does...
@unrandomsam Fire Emblem: Awakening and Ultimate Ghost's and Goblins? What a strange comparison... And the balance thing? Have you ever played any of the previous games? There's supposed to be a difference, otherwise it wouldn't matter much which characters you would pick, now would it? Or do you mean something else entirely?

Artwark

Artwark said:

If 3D World or Link Between Worlds does not win, Then GDC will start getting delusional.

Relias

Relias said:

GTA will most likely win game of the year unfortunately, I would go with Zelda for design, and Fire Emblem for portable game of the year.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Aa everyone else has generally said, GTA will win all the awards except obviously the handheld one, which if Zelda does not get after the countless sales of 3ds then something is seriously wrong with the voters

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

@JaxonH

"The game didn't review too well either if I recall., so it's not like I'm the only one."

Yeah, right. 7 Perfect scores, 88 metacritic and quotes like "Tearaway is just FUN. Thoughtful, engaging, and charming." "Beautiful and brilliant" now means it's not doing well in reviews?

The game is an absolute delight to play. I'm baffled at how anyone could call this game "dull". It's your opinion, fine, not going to argue about that, but I'm just surprised someone calls this game 'dull'.

Device 6, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem: Awakening and Tearaway are all very valid Handheld GOTY contenders.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I'm hoping Nintendo can at least bag best handheld, the other categories have some good picks in them.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Cyrso Yeah I didn't HATE it, and I'm glad others got enjoyment from it, game on. But I didn't like it. Just like I didn't like LBP, which was even worse than Tearaway. I've never liked Sony's platformers. They're all pretty lame imo, though Ratchef & Clank Into the Nexus looks great. I'll be grabbing that on Vita when it comes