Capcom's Monster Hunter Invades Universal Studios Japan

Posted by Kerry Brunskill

In the hunt

We recently covered the exciting news that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate was heading westward, and 3DS owners around the world rightfully took to the internet to celebrate. Japanese Monster Hunter fans still get all the really cool toys though, like the brand new Monster Hunter Real 2014 exhibition that opens tomorrow at the Universal Studios Japan theme park in Osaka.

This special event is open until the 11th of May, and gives fans the chance to shoot (with cameras) a giant animatronic Tigrex and Rathian, as well as deck themselves out in some basic hunter gear and pose with an enormous static Rathalos — for a 1800 Yen fee, of course.

Indoors, there’s a chance to gawk at excellent reproductions of various bits and pieces of Monster Hunter gear, including a full set of life-size replica Star Rook equipment designed to celebrate the exhibition and available to 3DS-carrying attendees via an exclusive download quest.

If you’re not content with just looking, there’s also a few “quests” to participate in too, such as the “paintball” throwing competition (a Monster Hunter themed variant on the classic “knock over the bottles” fairground stall) and hungry fans can fill up on a variety of themed food and drink — thankfully none of which is cooked by cats trying to act like people. Phew!

Do you like the look of this event? Would you go if Capcom held something similar in your area? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via game.watch.impress.co.jp]

Related Games

cookiex

cookiex said:

I remember Universal Studios Japan doing a Resident Evil exhibition a while back, and I think the Hollywood park had a horror maze based on Silent Hill.

Frapp

Frapp said:

An animatronic TIgrex is the best thing since sliced Popo! Damn straight I'd go to a similar event in the UK.

Anneke

Anneke said:

Wow great!
Will Rathian and Rathalos go in a rage and destroy the park?

mhoving

mhoving said:

That is so amazing, events like this should be done more often. If something like this ever comes to Europe, which is extremely unlikely, I would definitely go.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

That's sick as hell, love those drinking pouches and the atmosphere is awesome.

They should take this exhibit out to other Universal Studios locations, would be a shame to put all that in a room to collect dust. Actually, they'd probably break down the bigger pieces, unless MH headquarters can fit it in :p

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

I want to go there badly... looks awesome. I doubt I will get anything even remotely close near Atlanta GA.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@SphericalCrusher - Maybe Universal Orlando will get it? Thats like a 5 hour drive for you. Or fourteen days if it snows. ;-) They can put it next to Potter.

Guess there's hope for a real life Nintendo Land after all. I think Mario and Yoshi would do better in the states than MH.

Gigan

Gigan said:

I'd love for this to come to Universal Orlando! I'm an hour away and already have a season pass. I know it won't but a man can dream.

DinoFett

DinoFett said:

This exhibit will only fit in the new plaza at USH. If it were to ever come to the west coast.

Senario

Senario said:

@FishieFish Short answer. Big. Long answer, it is very nearly the most popular game in Japan that is not on a smart device. So many people play it and it essentially is Japan's version of the crazy selling game released yearly. However it actually has good gameplay and because the west does not get every version of the game it's appeal certainly isn't lost due to yearly releases. To be fair though, some yearly releases aren't that good like the Mh frontier series. The numbered games such as tri, 3g, 4, and 4g, are all amazing though.

navonod18

navonod18 said:

Looks awesome, but ur telling me that Capcom can get a rathian in universal studios and create a Monster Hunter hotel, but can't manage to give US or Europe Monster Hunter 4 before 15? I mean don't get me wrong I'm glad its coming, but is this the hold up?? lol

Garios

Garios said:

@navonod18 The hold up is that we're not just getting 4, but rather 4G with all the new content and that hasn't even released in Japan yet. :p Personally, I don't mind waiting if it means the game we get is gonna be about twice as big.

Rukiafan

Rukiafan said:

Just so you guys know the Californian Universal Studios had a life-sized Brachydios at their park for awhile too. Universal Studios was responsible for most of the advertising of Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate and Monster Hunter 4. ;)

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

I have decided to learn the Japanese language and move to Japan. America's nice and all, but nothing can beat a Monster Hunter theme park.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Senario
Yea, thats one of the great things about this series. Its huge enough (in Japan) to be an annual release type game, but it definitely doesn't play like one. We also do get most of the games too despite being quite niche still, and even the ones we did miss we got enhanced versions of.

It just goes to show you don't need tacked-on online or Hollywood special affects to make a great, successful game worth sinking hundreds of hours into.

Mask0Gears

Mask0Gears said:

GAH!! I need to go there... ah well, At least I can see all those pictures... funny fact: when I lived in Japan, I found out about Monster Hunter... and it was and still is HUGE.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

This looks great, I'd love to be able to go there.

Nintendo should build a real life NintendoLand, with a Donkey Kong minecart ride, real Mario Karts, Mario 3D World inflatables, a Metroid virtual FPS, a classic arcade and an epic Zelda show. Then they could have 3rd party attractions like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter etc with the provision that the games are released on Nintendo systems. They could sell the Wii U/3DS games there too.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

I don't even play that much Monster Hunter and I think this is awesome! I'd love to check out something like this here.