Mahito Yokota and Koji Kondo Discuss Their Involvement with Super Mario 3D World

Posted by Martin Watts

There's plenty of high notes

In a recent interview with Destructoid, Nintendo composers Mahito Yokota and the legendary Koji Kondo revealed a number of new details regarding their work on upcoming Wii U title, Super Mario 3D World.

In terms of how involved each composer has been involved with the game, Yokota acted as sound director and main composer, while Kondo worked on two tracks for the athletic and seaside stages. Toru Minegishi and Yasuaki Iwata also worked as composers on the game.

With regards to the new catsuit that appears as an in-game power-up, Yokota stated that he worked on a number of energetic themes so that the music reflected the idea of at least one cat frantically running around a number of the game's crazy stages. Many of the tracks were recorded from live performances and feature a number of sequences that are designed to imitate a cat's meowing.

SNES fans may be disappointed to hear that Super Mario 3D World doesn't include any remixed music from Super Mario World. However, Yokota was keen to point out that the game may include musical rearrangements from Super Mario Bros. 2, given the new game's similar emphasis on switching between multiple characters with different abilities.

Lastly, both composers had a message to give to fans of Super Mario's musical offerings to consider when playing through Mario's upcoming adventure:

Mahito Yokota: We've changed our musical aims here from the Mario Galaxy series, but I'd like to know what you think about this kind of Mario sound. It's the first multiplayer 3D Mario game, so hopefully you'll be enjoying this music while having a blast with your friends.

Koji Kondo: There are a lot of fun tracks here, a good match for all the variety in the stages and all the new ways to play. It's a new soundtrack for the Mario series, a lavish one with some live performances, and I hope you can enjoy it with family and friends as you play on a big screen.

[via destructoid.com]

MasterBlue

MasterBlue said:

The soundtrack that this game offers in really vibrant and colorful. I like how most of the level tracks have like a jazzy-like theme to them. Definitely one of the best soundtracks in a Mario game since the widely-acclaimed Super Mario Galaxy series.

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Super Mario 3D Universe Confirmed. Has Dog Mario and on Nintendo 4DS and Nintendo Wii 4U

HaNks

HaNks said:

sounds great. and it can't be worse than the NSMB soundtracks.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I wonder why Toad looks sad in this pic. Maybe because even as a giant, he is the shortest one.

Anyway, loved Yokota's work in the Galaxy games and 3D Land, so I am very eager to listen to more of his compositions.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

"Yokota was keen to point out that the game may include musical rearrangements from Super Mario Bros. 2, given the new game's similar emphasis on switching between multiple characters with different abilities." Perhaps the character select music from SMB2 will return!

"Meanwhile, dog lovers will happy to hear that both Kondo and Yakota prefer the ever-loyal canine over cats — could it be that we'll see Dog Mario bark his way into future games?" Meh, I prefer cats so I like it the way it is!

PS4

PS4 said:

@Gold Forget dog mario, HOT DOG Mario is where it's at!

aaand Lol'd at the platform names.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Too bad Mr. Kondo only compose two songs for this game, but I'm glad he did the athletic themes this time, those are the most memorable songs on Mario games, but Yokota is such an awesome composer as well, I'm soooo loking forward to hear the new pieces.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

What little music I've heard from this game, it sounds fantastic. While there seems to be a general playfulness in the sound, there can be a few tracks that sound grand and tense as well. The Castle theme from Super Mario 3D Land has a Super Mario Galaxy-like orchestral remix that sounds awesome, and I assume the music that plays at Double Cherry Pass is the Athletic Theme. If so, it sounds suitably bouncy.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@HaNks
This. When you dip that Low, it's impossible to dip any lower! Although i do love NSMB's Underwater theme. Then again, Super Mario 3D Land's was pretty forgettable as well. Super Paper Mario was the last truly outstanding Super Mario soundtrack imo and you can't forget about some of the stuff from the Galaxy games!

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

God, anything's better than BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH.

The main theme seems very weird to me, with that whiny synth. Haven't heard the other tracks, but I'll be sure to let them know via Club Nintendo.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

I've heard like 7 new tracks from this game, and I must say; this is probably going to be my favorite Mario soundtrack of all time. The music in this game (at least from the ones I heard) sound absolutely incredible, and EXTREMELY catchy. I'm SOOOO looking forward to listing to the other new tracks in this game. However, they're reusing A LOT of songs from 3D Land (slightly remixed), which ticks me off....

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

@HyperSonicEXE That? That's not synth either...that's an orchestral big band piece.

@SockoMario They're not reusing a whole lot...the castle theme is remixed and the boss victory theme sounds better orchestrated. The underground theme is only slightly remixed but still new. Yokota and Kondo did the same thing with Galaxy, they transferred about 10 themes over to Galaxy 2.

HyperSonicEXE

HyperSonicEXE said:

@hwrose379
Not genre, I'm talking about the part that starts at 0:56.

They're making some extremely odd instrumentation choices in an effort to be "cutesy" or "quirky" that are ruining otherwise great pieces.

idork99

idork99 said:

I love Koji Kondo's work! I can't wait to have a listen when I play on the 22nd!

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Yeah, I too love Koji Kondo's music work. I also like SM3DL's soundtrack, by, according to a quick Youtube search, Takeshi Hama.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

@sinalefa I'm not sure it's sadness, so much as concern. Mario and Luigi are plowing through as though drunk on giant power, while Toad and the princess stand back, looking worried.