Feature: A Week of Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS Screens - Issue Eleven

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Spin attacks, Wii Fit Trainers, a posing Pit and more

Another working week has begun, but we have Masahiro Sakurai's updates on the Miiverse Super Smash Bros. Director's Room community to get us off to the perfect start. The man with a plan may not be ready to tell us when we can expect the new Super Smash Bros. games to arrive on Wii U and 3DS, but he can keep us entertained with screens in the meantime.

Aside from the appearance of the Male Wii Fit Trainer, which may be a character skin, special move or something else besides, last week's screens focused on sharing a bit of comedy and the occasional tid-bit of information. We learned that each Link's spin attacks will be "very different" in how they hit enemies, and that Pit's pose when shooting his bow and arrow has been tweaked slightly since Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sakurai-san also posted the following reminder:

Do note that all images are still in development. This and past pics may be different from the finished product. Thanks for understanding.

Crikey, it all got vaguely serious for a moment. Let's brush that off and look at some screens, then, which include a mix of Wii U and 3DS treats this time around.

28th October

29th October

30th October

31st October

1st November

A decent mix this week, we hope you agree. Let us know which you like the most in the poll and comments below.

What's your favourite Smash Bros. screen this week? (296 votes)

Link and Toon Link compare Spin Attacks

28%

The Villager and Wii Fit Trainer show Mario how it's done

17%

Fox gets sneaky on Toon Link

15%

The Wii Fit Trainers show off their posture

14%

Pit's a big poser with his bow and arrow

20%

Um, I can't decide

To be honest, I don't like any of them

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

I just learned something............wii fit trainer breaks blocks with her back. XD

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'd vote for the two trainers, but Pit's bow pose is too cool. He's going to be an even better character in these new games, I'm sure, and he was already a great character in Brawl being my top main character.

Of course the games will look better in person than in these screenshots. The games still have another year to be released, so that's more than enough time to tweak things around. Donkey Kong will be strong but not too strong when the games release, Toon Link may have a few new moves, and the overall games will just look much better.

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

"The Villager and Wii Fit Trainer show Mario how it's done"
Yeah, it's time for Mario to take a rest.

Gioku

Gioku said:

These ones aren't as interesting as some... but good as always, anyway. :)

Goginho

Goginho said:

I dislove how the 3DS screenshots get the least votes (apart from the "can't decide"..). I personally like the 3DS version's visuals, maybe even more than the Wii U's tbh.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I voted for Wii Fit Trainer and Villager because it is the first time I see their 3DS models.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

Picture #2 doesn't look like " The Villager and Wii Fit Trainer show(ing) Mario how it's done", it looks like The Villager to reaching for Wii Fit Trainer's booty.

jeb_leeds

jeb_leeds said:

That Toon Link snapshot is really getting me excited for the 3ds version. It looks amazing!

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I picked the Links one, but I like that the Mario stage is more like a Mario world instead of the one in brawl
Untitled
That did not look good.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Every time I see a photo like the 2 Links - and I have seen a few of them - I get all excited that there will be a non 2D mode. I wish they'd stop getting my hopes up like that. I'd never expect the main game to go all open world but "Subspace Emissary: Adventure" would be sweet. I'ld even settle for a simple add-on Skylanders Giants like Arena mode.

Yosher

Yosher said:

The Wii Fit Trainers picture, solely for the fact of it (pretty much) confirming alternative costumes. But then 'Wario alone was special' in Brawl too so...

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

The Fox and Toon Link one. Looks pretty intense. I hope that they tune up the stage builder in this one. In Brawl they could've at least implemented the pointer so that you could just point at the building materials and then point and click where you want it. Instead of using the d pad, which was a pain. In this you could just use the touch screen on the gamepad to place all the blocks.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

"Fox gets sneaky on Toon Link" looks really cool on 3DS!

But I voted for Pit's stance

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@rjejr I agree, I want them to switch the camera in the middle of the stage, like slowly moving from 2D, to top down, or maybe even a gravity effect in the Sonic Lost World stage where the edge is like a half circle, and if you keep running in that direction, you can go up that half circle and fight on the ceiling upside down!

Goginho

Goginho said:

@Funny_Moblin What are you trying to say? Are you saying the visuals are bad on the 3DS? You can rest assured that your point isn't the case with me, as I like the more 'artsy' look of the 3DS Smash Bros.. I find some characters look pretty ridiculous on the Wii U version (not putting down the developers and their clear effort), since the devs aimed for that more 'photo-realistic' look, which imo doesn't fit well for some of the characters. The fitness trainers are fine, they look great on the Wii U version respectively, since they are a depiction of real humas. Same with Pit, even though he is more manga/anime styled, but as for Toon Link and Fox, they look much better/more fitting on the 3DS imo..
Toon Link looks great in the Wink Waker HD (with a more softer look), but in Smash for Wii U, it's just a little too much I feel. I dunno what it is, it's hard to put a finger on it or explain it..maybe it's the fact that he has cartoony features, such a large head and small extremities, which conflict with the more realistic approach for his texture. Same with the Mario bros. in 3D World, their 'softer' look suits those visuals, as well as Smash for 3DS, but on Wii U..there's just something about it that find find more appealing on the 3DS. I'm not saying the Wii U visuals are bad for any of the characters (more or less), some characters are neutral and look equally good on both systems..I can think of Pikachu amongst others at the moment.

lol sorry for getting carried away and arguably writing more than needed, but I just wanted to point out that your point has come across somewhat ignorant with me, since I haven't crossed paths with anybody who says that what you said these people say :P ..and that in my case it's just something coming from my gut, that I prefer the more 'simplistic', artsy look of the 3DS character visuals. I like the outline I guess :D

Diddy_kong

Diddy_kong said:

I’d love to see Rosalina make her Smash Bros. debut. She was in Mario Kart Wii and 7, so why not? They’d probably make her a Peach clone, but that’s okay. She’d likely play slower and heavier than Peach, and I can see her using a Luma for that block move whereas Peach uses Toad. But yeah, I think she’d be a nice addition to the roster.

I’d also like to see Waluigi, Dixie Kong, and (these next two are out there) Chase McCain and Bayonetta.

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Goginho If there is a Super Smash Bros. game that was aiming to be photo-realistic, that would be Brawl. As you say "simplistic", the Wii U version is also simplistic. For example, Mario does not have the details on his jeans like in Brawl, and all of the characters have a simpler colour palette, as opposed to the dry, realistic-like colours. I would agree with you characters do not look fitting IF we were talking about Brawl, but the Wii U version has all of what you described.

Sorry, but the 3DS screenshots look good in the internet, not so much on the 3DS directly. Good luck playing Smash Bros. with moving pixels and a small screen.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

I think I'll play as the Villager in most matches. He's just gives off such a sociopathic vibe that it's disturbingly awesome! I will make all fear playing me!

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

The 3DS pic. of Fox and Toon Link.

It looks so cool. It actually looks like the graphics improved, but that's prob. just me.

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

links look good.
I continue to be impressed by only one screenshot each week...and i'm not noticing any significant graphical changes from week to week.
Look at Super Mario 3D World's E3 trailer and compare to the most recent trailers and screens, and there has been a significant upgrade visually.
At first to me the game looked bland, too simple and plain. The visual effects have progressed nicely for all that subtle detail that made the Galaxy games so brilliant looking. It truly looks like an evolution for Mario.
the Smash screens continue to look more like a highres version of brawl as opposed to a revamped or new engine or a generation jump.
Hoping that as we get closer to release, we start to see some progression.

Hours_Left

Hours_Left said:

Definitely the Wii Fit Trainers. I am so glad that we can use both the male and female trainers.

Goginho

Goginho said:

@Funny_Moblin I would have to agree, Brawl did overdo that a bit. The Wii U visuals are pretty fitting compared to Brawl. Like I said, I guess I prefer the abstract part of things, such as the outlines and what not.

But how can that be, that on the internet, screenshots look better than on a system? Isn't it usually the other way around? I always hear people that have played demos of games at conventions and what not say, "Oh it looks much better in person".
And why that ignorant last sentence of yours? :P Are you bitter about something, that you resort to provoking me? lol You don't even know ..but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Sorry, but that last sentence (as well as your first reply to my comment) makes you seem pretty immature and spoiled (and ignorant). It won't do you much good in life my friend, just putting it out there ;)
[Are the "pixels" on a "small screen" really that bad to you? I mean, how did we play games back in the day? I never had a big screen television, and the N64 most certainly didn't have the smoothest of graphics. Compared to the 3DS, it clearly is inferior. I dunno, maybe you're in need of some strong, thick glasses to be able to recognize things on the 3DS. Or maybe the progression of technology over the years has spoiled you to the point where any little jaggy scares the socks off ya :P tsk tsk tsk ..well, good luck trying to enjoy all the great "pixelated" content the 3DS has to offer. I see you're a Zelda fan..hmm, Between Worlds is coming out, isn't it?]

ikki5

ikki5 said:

we all know what the villager in the second picture is really looking at :)

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

@Goginho Heh, I'll have you know that I own a 3DS. The games that the 3DS has to offer themselves are not bad in terms of graphics, especially with the 3D effect, but it's really a no-brainer when it comes down to choosing two different versions of Super Smash Bros in terms of the visuals (and maybe gameplay).

I'm also not spoiled xD I actually do not really mind graphics in general, and no little Jaggi has ever put me off in MH3U. I'm 18 and I'm not gonna lie, I got into gaming consoles with the Gamecube, but graphics were still not very good (by today's standards). Though I usually do not mind graphics, it feels to me like Smash Bros. on Wii U just has to get it right.

Oh, and I'm guessing you don't really appreciate different textures (no offense).

Ganondwarf

Ganondwarf said:

Filthy casuals have to ruin nintendo games they make them crapper for new players which sucks wish we didn't have the wii fit trainers in the game!!