Video: New Treasurenauts Trailer Filled to the Brim with Booty

Posted by Martin Watts

Treasure this footage

Renegade Kid's co-founder, Jools Watsham, could barely contain his excitement earlier today as he unveiled a brand new trailer for upcoming 3DS eShop title Treasurenauts, a day earlier than scheduled.

The 2D platformer follows the mishaps of the famous Treasurenauts, who have been marooned on a uncharted island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean — courtesy of Bad Pirate Pete. Without a single air- or seaport to be found, there's only one way the adventurous gang is getting back home again; collect $1,000,000 worth of treasure, and in return for it the nefarious pirate will take them back to the mainland. Just think about that extortionate fee the next time you have to cough up some cash for a flight.

The gameplay shown in the trailer below is quite reminiscent of Renegade Kid's earlier title, Mutant Mudds, and the heavy emphasis on treasure collecting conjures up memories of New Super Mario Bros. 2. Treasurenauts doesn't have an official release date as of yet, but Watsham did state on Twitter earlier today that the game will release in December at the earliest. The developer has previously stated that Renegade Kid would like to port the game over to other systems, including the Wii U.

[via twitter.com]

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Wow, this trailer has really turned me around! At first I thought it looked rubbish, but now, it looks like a possible buy... some day

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I hope it turns out well! I'll most likely get it 'cause I loved Mutant Mudds. And it's nice to see that you can also play as Max!

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Mutant Mudds didn't do too much for me (mostly the style was a turn off), but this looks more interesting. Hope they do a demo for this as well!

MeWario

MeWario said:

K this looks awesome! On my radar now :) Philip_J_Reeds's assessment seems bang on!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

Definitely looks better than Mutant Mudds, but I was so unimpressed with that one, I'll be checking out several reviews before putting money on this.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

If it is as good as Rogue Legacy or Spelunky then I will get it otherwise I am not bothered. (Main things that concern me are the controls and whether it is fun to play).

I got Gunlord for the Dreamcast at the same time as Mutant Mudds. (Gunlord is light years better but still small indie). I bought it without trying the demo (Which I never normally do thinking so many people cannot be wrong but I hate it - I forced myself through nearly half of it and then accepted the truth about it).

JustinH

JustinH said:

Put me down as a maybe. Possibly on Wii U. I played the Mutant Mudds demo and it didn't inspire me, but this is a... maybe.

ToniK

ToniK said:

Is Cult County still in development or totally forgotten? I really, really want a new fps from Renegade Kid.

motang

motang said:

So can't wait for this to come out! I love how 3DS has become my go to system for quick games nowadays!