Nintendo Reveals Big Plans for Indiecade

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Panel on eShop publishing and lots of playable games

One of a number of themes that Nintendo's been communicating this year is its support for small 'indie' developers on its eShop platforms. In some respects the big N has faced a challenge moving the message beyond the flaws of the DSi and Wii stores, making clear to developers around the world that the current platforms are far more welcoming and supportive.

It looks like we'll see some benefits to this later in the year and beyond, as the lineup of confirmed games for the Wii U and 3DS eShop platforms continues to grow. Nintendo will be taking a number of those games to its booth at the Indicade event, which is open from today until 6th October in downtown Culver City, California; Nintendo's booth is at the IndieCade Village at 9300 Culver Blvd in the city.

A headline event will be a presentation by Nintendo of America's Dan Adelman called "How to Self-Publish Your Game on Nintendo eShop", which will again try to communicate directly to developers to explain the processes behind bringing games to the eShop stores. The following games will also be playable in the Nintendo booth.

Wii U

3DS

In addition Wii U eShop exclusive Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party will be on show at the KnapNok booth.

It's an encouraging lineup — are any of you heading to California for Indiecade this weekend?

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I wish there are more games heading the portable's eShop.

Any news about Shovel Knight date?

LinkIRule

LinkIRule said:

I'm still waiting on 3DS miiverse news, sounds irrelevant but didn't they say 'soon' at a recent indie event

ACK

ACK said:

Great lineup. Would love to see them dump a few short-lived demos on the shop simultaneously. I understand why they don't do as much with E3 demos, but I imagine these indies developers would jump at the chance for exposure.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Seriously cannot wait for shovel knight, teslagrad and unepic :)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

There are several games I know nothing about, like Grinsia, Siesta Fiesta, Pier Solar, Unepic and Knytt.

Looking forward to see more of Scram Kitty and Armillo.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I like a lot of indie games - one of the best parts of PS+ for me - but I rarely get excited for them in advance. The more the merrier though.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@sinalefa - Knytt Underground is like a goth version of Toki Tori 2+, bleak, depressing, cursing (which I bet gets edited out) but way too much back tracking.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Ernest_The_Crab I want Pier Solar HD as well. (I already have Gunlord for Dreamcast but it is annoying because I only have on RGB scart). Not found a single unity game I have liked yet. (Looked at loads of best of Unity lists and stuff and have found all of them I have tried to be garbage - XNA has far more great stuff).

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I think it's fantastic that Nintendo is loosening their iron grip on developers that want to get games on Nintendo systems, if only they would loosen their iron grip on their customers coconuts as well.

And while I've said this before, even if Nintendo can somehow beat PC for indie developers, the sales of the Wii U won't increase because of it. Nobody buys a system to play indie games.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

@LinkTheHyrulian Same here. Not so sure about it "coming soon" at a recent indie event, though. It was mentioned a few wks ago Miiverse would be available for 3DS before the end of 2013. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. Club Nintendo has been down for almost 2 days now; I doubt it has anything to do with that though. Likely just routine maintenance or extending server farms or something.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Pier Solar... wasn't that the retro project that wanted to make the last RPG for Mega Drive a few years ago? What happened, did they ever went on to manufacture the cartridges or just chickened out?

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@DarkKirby I would buy a system to play just indie stuff if it was reasonably certain they were only going to be on that system. Be much better if stuff was only on one platform and properly optimised.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse... Mmm! We still don't have a release date on this one, eh?

MAB

MAB said:

Yeah I'm interested in the indies more than alot of the garbage AAA nonsense devs waste large amounts of cash on... Pier Solar me up yo! ;)

rudyseidl

rudyseidl said:

I agree - it is an encouraging lineup. It's nice to see Nintendo acquiescing and letting Indie games have a presence.

Hairmanban19

Hairmanban19 said:

OMG! Retro City Rampage is coming to 3DS Eshop!! (Faints) I have wanted that game for sooo long!