More Mega Man Love Is Coming To Japanese Virtual Console Services

Posted by Damien McFerran

Game Boy and Super Famicom sequels on the way next week

Mega Man is 25 this year, and Capcom is wasting no time in pumping out as many of his classic adventures as possible onto Nintendo's Virtual Console services.

Next week — October 9th, to be exact — will see the release of Mega Man III on the 3DS eShop and Mega Man X2 on the Wii U eShop.

Mega Man III (note the use of Roman numerals to differentiate it from the third NES game) is definitely an improvement over the previous two handheld outings, but it still doesn't quite match the brilliance of the domestic entries. It's going to cost 400 Yen when it launches in Japan.

Mega Man X2 has a slightly better reputation, and follows on from the successful prequel with some amazing 2D visuals, action-packed gameplay and awesome music. We awarded the Wii Virtual Console version 8/10, and said "it's a fairly run of the mill sequel that doesn't really add or change anything of impact, and for the most part, it feels like a simple extension of the first game featuring some more levels." It will retail for 800 Yen.

There's an excellent chance that both of these games will see release in the west, but which one are you most excited about? Tell us by leaving a comment below.

[via nintendo.co.jp, nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Its funny they use roman numerals, instead of just changing the title. The Japanese title for example is Rockman World 3, with a number instead of a roman numeral.
I wonder why they didn't use Megaman World as the title for the GB games, if nothing more than just to have them be differentiated more easily.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

I hope we get X2 and even X3 because..... X3 costs so much on ebay..

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

I already have megaman x collection for gamecube. I want a brand new megaman game.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I love all the SNES Mega Man X's, before the franchise was destroyed on the Playstation. I'll definitely be getting X2 when it comes.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@MonocledMetroid The word doesn't work like that. Prequel means it chronologically precedes an already existing work. The X series is not a prequel to series made after it, nor can X1 be a prequel to X2. The way it's worded makes it sound like the events of the X games occur before the original Megaman games.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Will consider both... it's cool to see Capcom giving the VC some love. They're about the only 3rd party consistently bringing it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I wonder if this has anything to do with Mighty No. 9 hitting all of its goals? Capcom might be a little worried.

Slayer

Slayer said:

AWESOME. The X series is my favorite altogether! I prefer Megaman 6 over 3, but you know... Hooray for X...
Aw, come on. Wii U eShop? Why not 3DS too...

Ryno

Ryno said:

I like X better then X2 but will still get it, Hopefully X3 is in Capcom's cards!

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

To celebrate Mega Man's appearance in SSB4, I'd like to see all 10 Mega Man games on the Wii U eShop.

A man can dream, can't he?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Couldn't we hear about X2 coming to NA rather than Japan? Please?

And for crying out loud bring on X3 and the two Xtreme games! I've been dying to get my hands on those!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@WaveBoy
we only need mm7, im sure it will arrive. only the games i say are important are the only games important. all the other games everyone else wants are not important. glad you agree!