Video: There's A Fan-Made Final Fantasy VI Movie In The Works

Posted by Damien McFerran

Makers of Final Fantasy: Terra "seeking permission" from Square Enix

We love a good fan-made movie here at Nintendo Life — although they often look a bit goofy or unintentionally amusing, they show just how passionate and creative gamers can be when they've got a HD video camera, a decent PC and a capable video editing program.

Final Fantasy: Terra is better than most — it's a proposed film based around the seminal SNES title Final Fantasy VI (released in North America as Final Fantasy III.)

Produced by Bad Pixel, the trailer is going to be used to pitch the idea to Square Enix in order to gain permission to proceed with development. Bad Pixel then plans to run a Kickstarter campaign to raise the necessary funds to actually create the film.

We have to admit it all looks very encouraging, but getting Square Enix to green-light something like this could be harder than it sounds — the company may have no interest in turning its most famous franchise into a movie after the commercial failure of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but it's unlikely that it will allow fans to use the valuable name and IP to make their own film — regardless of how heart-felt and well-intentioned the proposal may be.

Anyway, enough scepticism. Check out the footage below and share your thoughts on this very well-made trailer.

[via finalfantasymovie.net]

MAB

MAB said:

It is just really lame... Needs to be more Japanese anime and not live action/CGI green screen ;)

Zach777

Zach777 said:

The actors look way too young to play the characters that they portray.

Rargon

Rargon said:

This is probably going to canned like that FF7 Live-Action Movie. At least this time, they're trying to get Square's Permission.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Well at least they are asking for permission rather than those ones that were doing the Metroid movie.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The only way things like this ever succeed is if it finished prior to articles like this.

KingMike

KingMike said:

I'm Square-Enix will allow this if the authors can prove themselves fan enough to complete Gau's Rage movelist without cheating. :P

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

I'd rather someone "seek permission" from Square-Enix to make a DS port of FFVI a la III and IV.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I'd love a Final Fantasy VI live action movie. But it would have to be done by a real studio with a huge budget, with actors who look the parts. Also it would probably need to be done in 2-4 parts

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

It seems good and I'm glad they are asking permission this time but knowing Square Enix they'll probably dropped it unless the money belongs to them. Also they need some good actors, I know the ones in the trailer are just temporary actors (them and their friends) so hopefully they could find some suitable ones if they get the green light.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Radbot42 I don't think it would need a huge budget. (Think it would be good in any form by somebody who properly understood the source material.)

Be fine as a novel / film / series - cartoon / live action.

What makes it good is the story. (Even though parts of it were cut for no sensible reason in the West).

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

Passionate, yes. Obviously they are putting their hearts on it. But "very well-made" is pushing it.

Benjamin

Benjamin said:

wince

I'm a huge FFVI fan, and I do want to see a movie about it, heck I wrote a script for the first segment of a television adaptation eons back for a scriptwriting class in college. But this...yikes. Everyone's way too young, and the acting seems really stilted. And I just don't understand some of these design choices, there's at least four existing designs for Magitek Armor and this one turned it into this spindly thing that looks like a five year old could kick the legs out from under it.

nova108

nova108 said:

Nothing can do this game justice, plain and simple. And I agree that it would have to be anime to get anywhere close. Untrained actors and sub-par CGI will not cut it.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I agree that everyone looks too young for the characters when they're supposed to be older.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Don't people realize they can't really do this...in most instances they will be contacted by lawyers. It's also sad they need to play off an existing franchise to make a movie, why not create your own characters? I guess because being Final Fantasy people will definitely watch it no matter how bad it looks.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

@JebbyDeringer that's the point of a Fan Project. They don't want to just prove their acting talent or filming quality, they also want to deliver a good movie to Final Fantasy fans.

That said, this trailer looks really mediocre. The actors don't blend into the background, needless to say they don't look much like the original characters. But the CGI itself is also just above average. All of this makes it just too obvious that they made almost everything on greenscreen, which isn't neccessarily bad, but diminishes the visual impact greatly.
Overall, this wouldn't even have a chance if Square Enix wasn't the company it is...

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I applaud the effort they made as fans, but I don't see this going much further than what is there.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

Nooooo. Fans. Wat r u doing? Fans? Stahp.
The cg looks bad, character design is sub-par, the actors don't really match up with the characters, and Kefka isn't green.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I dunno about this... Final Fantasy VI is my all time favorite game, so I'd hate to see it get butchered by a movie release. Like someone above me commented, nothing can do this masterpiece of a game justice.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@Damo: They made at least one other film since The Spirits Within, so there is a very slim chance that they will, ahem, *green*light this fan film. ;)

That trailer was impressive! I would watch the final product for sure! :O

SpookyMeths

SpookyMeths said:

All things considered, there's a reason why GRRM repeatedly turned down movie offers and eventually agreed to Game of Thrones as an HBO series. There's just no way to condense that much story into a film, and very, very few ways to get funding to do it properly.

FFVI's narrative is very episodic in its presentation anyway. You're constantly switching protagonists and pursuing subplots. Much more suited for a TV show like Game of Thrones.

Not just any TV show though. Sword of Truth, an adult-themed series, got picked up by ABC and became Legend of the Seeker, a butchery that appealed to the lowest common denominator for mass consumption. A Song of Ice and Fire, an adult-themed series, got picked up by HBO and became Game of Thrones.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

That had to be the worst fan made anything I've ever seen. I wish I hadn't sold the last of my brain bleach.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

@SkywardLink98 - I didn't say I didn't like it, just that really there is nothing anyone could do to do this game justice. Well, aside from Squeenix (finally) releasing a remake of the game on 3DS a la FFIII and IV on DS. That being said, the trailer was alright. I applaud these fans for at least trying, but like many have already stated the actors/actresses don't LOOK like their respective characters, which is a major turnoff for a movie version of such a great game.