Bravely Default: For the Sequel To Serve as Testing Ground For Follow-Up

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

For the Sequel version to be used, erm, for the sequel

A good number of RPG gamers in the West have no doubt been looking forward to Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, the 3DS title from Square Enix that's performed well both commercially and critically in Japan. While we've been awaiting its arrival in PAL territories and North America, however, it's had a revamp — those territories will now receive a localised version of a new edition, Bravely Default: For the Sequel.

The natural conclusion when seeing that title is that it's a translation quirk, but the name is actually rather literal. Producer Tomoya Asano has explained to Weekly Famitsu (translated by Kotaku) that feedback from gamers will have a major say on key mechanics and ideas in the next title. These will include a combat system that "removes the concept of a turn-based [system]", improved visuals, new events and tweaks to make the general interface and experience more intuitive. Japanese gamers will have the chance to download the updated release at a reduced price, with the ability to transfer some or all of their save data, EXP and more to the new game. There'll also be the ability, in Japan at least, to tweak elements such as enemy difficulty and how often encounters take place.

This is the version that'll ultimately come to the West, and the fact it's a precursor for ideas in the sequel bodes well — positive sales results permitting — for further localisations in the future. For the Sequel really is there for the sequel, then; that's one way to get feedback while keeping gamers happy.

[via kotaku.com]

Blast

Blast said:

AWWWW YEAAHHH!!! Now Square Enix... Can we get that Dragon Quest game thats exclusive for 3DS in Japan and give it to the other regions??? Can we finally get a Final Fantasy game for 3DS??? THE 3DS DESERVES ONE!!!

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@ErnisDy Yeah, I don't see whats wrong with that. I mean.. the best RPG classics ever released are all turn-based. Unless they can come up with some better alternative, why risk changing what works so well?

8bitforever

8bitforever said:

@Blastiose. I agree, we want more Dragon Quest! What is the hold up? I bought every DQ game that came out on the DS, and I will buy any DQ game that comes out on the 3DS too! I know I know I am not alone.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

"removes the concept of a turn-based [system]" but I like turn-based combat. Maybe they're adding an ATB in to battles? I don't get it.

ErnisDy

ErnisDy said:

@Spuratis Well turn based games are slower paced,so I assume they aren't as popular as action games in the west. Among my friends I'm the only one who likes turn based games. I can be like "You have to play XCOM, it's amazing! You have your squad, kill aliens, level up, build facilities etc." -"It sounds cool!" -"It is cool! It's turn based." -"LOL, you play turn-based games???" -"Yes, yes I do, they are amazing!" -"No they aren't! Turn-based for little kittens who can't handle an action." -"T_T NO, you are wrong! Don't make fun of me mom!" -"You sillyhead, play some call of duty and be a man!" -"But why mom, why you don't love me T_T" -"Because you are kitten!! You and your turn-based games — !"

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Spuratis Yes but it becomes old and unoriginal real quick. A perfect example of how to make turn based combat 9,001 times better is the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

@ErnisDy So what I got from this is by friends you mean your Mom and she's quite verbally abusive. Got ya. I can see why turn based games are not as popular, especially amongst todays crowd.. but lets face it, how many more people do you think would be interested if this game looked exactly the same just had a more immersive combat system? I don't think it would be that much of a difference.

@Gregor Ahh yeah, I guess you're right. In some games it becomes tedious very quickly to the point where you just want to run from every battle.. I just finished Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and that game does have some of the funnest fights ever when it comes to turned base games. It just kind of feels like once you take out the turned base aspect of an RPG it kind of loses the whole RPG feel, to a certain extent. I'm fine with them changing it as long as they come up with something great. Not just change for the sake of change.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

thinking about removing turn base gameplay? now you have me considering not getting the game day one ;) as thats the whole reason im even want to get it :P

Gobelee

Gobelee said:

Wait, are we not getting the turn based original here? Are we getting a revamped version? I hope not. I happen to like turn based combat. What a shame.

mookysam

mookysam said:

I really enjoy turn based RPGs so am a little disappointed by this. We need more traditional-style JRPGs!

Gregor

Gregor said:

@ErnisDy Gregor come from country where everyone, including our enemies, are honest and noble men, and wait for each other to finish attacking. Is good it is. Little baby men always fall before Gregor though.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I like the combat system that Tales of Phantasia has.

With the JRPG's that I like whilst I am playing them I am in a similar place mentally to as when I am reading a good book.

If it has a really complicated combat system then I lose that.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

(There again I think Dragon Quest is the only series worth playing from SE. Don't think I will get X though).

Rather have them translate something like Romancing Saga because I think they have lost much of what made them at one time great.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Or Seiken Densetsu 3 or any number of others that are pure gold and never yet released here.

flummerfelt

flummerfelt said:

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I love a good turn based RPG. Heck, I even love random encounters.

I guess we will have to keep an eye on BD:FF & see how the final product turns out.

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

Awww I really love turn-based. We'll see how it turns out. I hope it does not mean Active Time Battle. I hate that so much.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@Blastoise
No doubt. Every console in history seems to have gotten a Final Fantasy game, except, ironically, for the top selling gaming device in the world right now- the 3DS. I want an exclusive built ground-up for the handheld though, not some port of a port of a port. Sick of ports. New game please.

Morgan19

Morgan19 said:

I'm thoroughly confused... So is NA not getting the original BD at all, but rather an updated BD:FTS version? And if so, is it FTS that's still being developed to possibly remove things like turn-based combat, or is that a third sequel? I thought the game was being released soon into 2014, but it sounds like that may not be the case after all, if it's going through all this renovating.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Wow, first FFXV is announced to be an ARPG and the next Bravely Default game won't be turn based either :(

Although it's cool that we're getting a PAL Bonus to what's already a stellar game. I just gotta finish 4 Heroes of Light before it gets released :L

DarrelltheJ

DarrelltheJ said:

Oh I've definitely been looking forward to this. Glad that we are getting sort of "Final Mix" version.

element187

element187 said:

". These will include a combat system that "removes the concept of a turn-based [system]""

OMG, its an JRPG based loosely on Final Fantasy, ITS SUPPOSED TO BE TURN BASED... Come on people. If you want an action game go buy an action game, but to screw us JRPG fans because you SUCK at thinking strategically, doesn't make any sense.

Why oh why are dudebro gamers having any sway over JRPG's? Is it because you see all this hype for a JRPG and then you try it and your mind can't handle it so you give up and complain that its not CoD? I really hope these developers are not actually thinking about making an action game out of this. I will not buy it.

element187

element187 said:

@Gregor LMAO... reminds me, I need to do another marathon session of Fire Emblem this weekend before I get lost in SMT IV.

TheMartianGeek

TheMartianGeek said:

Yeah, I really hope they don't drop turn-based combat in the sequel as well. There are far too few turn-based RPGs nowadays. Though I do agree that straight turn-based combat is not nearly as interesting as when there are action commands like in the Mario RPGs. (I think Mario & Luigi: Dream Team had the best battle system of any RPG I've played yet.) I would not, however, mind them getting rid of the random encounters. If you ask me, random encounters have no place in any game made after the turn of the millennium, no matter how "old school" it is supposed to be, and even the PS1 era is pushing it. Thank goodness there is supposed to be an option to set the encounter rate during gameplay (let's also hope it doesn't take an eternity to level up and gain new abilities). That at least should make them a bit less obnoxious.