Art Academy Sketchpad App Coming To The Wii U On 9th August

Posted by Orla Madden

Picasso who?

Since the launch of the Miiverse community on the Wii U, we have seen an incredible amount of artwork from talented artists across the globe; you can catch a small glimpse of the amazing illustrations in our Miiverse feature.

Last month, Nintendo announced it'd be releasing an Art Academy app for the Wii U this summer; sticking to its word, the app is making its way to the Wii U eShop (in North America and Europe) this Friday, 9th August.

Titled Art Academy Sketchpad, the application will allow users to create colourful sketches using tools which are set to feature in an upcoming full Art Academy title for the console. Artists will be able to upload their work to the Miiverse, so be sure to witness some awe-inspiring creations.

Will you unleash your inner artist and download Art Academy Sketchpad this Friday? Let us know in the comments section below.

Jenraux

Jenraux said:

I would say free, it's already out in Japan I think? But generally the Japanese don't inform anyone else about their software. :D

S7eventhHeaven

S7eventhHeaven said:

the app will be free will have some nice beta features and will give people a chance to try before they buy or just keep using the free version. the full version will release later for a fee which you can opt into if you wish to for enhanced features.

Rafie

Rafie said:

This is what makes the Wii U so much more unique than the others. That's why I'm happy about my purchase.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

It's a shame that this feature is useless to me.

My art skills aren't so much a Van Gogh as they are a Van Stop.^^;;

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'll definitely get it if it's free, but even if it's not, I'll still seriously consider it. My art skills have improved over the year, and drawing colored drawings on Miiverse has appeal. It'll be a treat to see people's artwork in even more stunning color rather than just black and white.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

haha...well everyone else took the words out of my mouth. If it's free than yes. Otherwise, I suck as an artist and Disney Infinity is going to cost me enough.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Judging by the amazing work some people are already posting on Miiverse this is going to be good.

rixard

rixard said:

according to posts on miiverse: the app is 400 yen or ~4 USD. That is the price in Japan.

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

This will be my new favorite miiverse community! I love checking out artwork people post. It is incredible and they are only using black and white with an eraser tool!

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

If this is free, I'll consider getting the full version at whatever price it comes out at. If it's not, I may wait a little while.

scottsensei

scottsensei said:

Will love it if free, but four bucks still seems a fair price. I've been eager to get this one since it was announced. Then again... I'm an art teacher..... probably can't get the district to reimburse my purchase of it as a work related expense..

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

My daughter loves drawing on Miiverse - in fact it's fair to say that the Miiverse part of Game & Wario is her favourite bit and she's probably spent more time sharing her drawings of Victini and her own characters more than playing games so this is a must!

Marshi

Marshi said:

@Rafie I know exactly what you mean mate and feel exactly the same way. You just wouldnt get an "art" package for ps3 or 360,people would go nuts

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Marshi @Rafie and the fact that the controller itself is the palette & canvas is what sets this apart. Otherwise you'd need a whole separate peripheral (Udraw or whatever it's called). Really hope straight-up games use the Pad as an impromptu sketchpad...

FLipSide5254

FLipSide5254 said:

When I looked at the details on eShop it's said 3.99 usd. So maybe that's the price for the app.

StraTTtheRipper

StraTTtheRipper said:

So I'm guessing there isn't a free version of this like I read there was going to be. I really don't know if 4 bucks is worth downloading this without being able to try it out first. I mean, 4 dollars isn't a lot of money, and I'm sure it's worth it, but is it the full game then?